Kevin keegan - Liverpool legend?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:06 pm

When I was young (about eight), Kevin Keegan was my hero. He in fact was the reason why I became a Liverpool supporter.A couple of years later, just as I started to understand more about football and Liverpool he left. He was not even past his prime  but rather at his peak and one hell of a player (probably best in the world) so I was shocked.

I have never really understood why he left at his prime, and more importantly why Liverpool supporters never talk about Keegan as an Anfield legend as he was a great player. He is never mentioned on this board as the the other players from that era are. Just curoius why.

I met him when he played for the Saints and my brother and I asked him why he left Liverpool and he seemed uncomfortable and did not really answer the question.

Was wandering if anyone knew why he left (Paisley was the manager at the time).
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:11 pm

Didn't he leave to go to Muchen Gladback? could be wrong though :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:16 pm

I think it was Hamburg and he won the European Player of the year twice.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:17 pm

kazza wrote:I think it was Hamburg and he won the European Player of the year twice.

Yes Kazza that actually sounds right  :;):
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:27 pm

Money! He was a great player, not the best in the world but close. He wanted to leave after Shankly left, but agreed to stay on to try for the European cup (which we won)We had offers from Real Madrid amongst others for him of £1million pounds, yet he chose Hamburg who would only pay half that amount.

I suppose the telling point would be that we had first refusal on him when he left Hamburg and we didn't take up the option (why I have no idea!)

To be fair to him I don't think he would have ever left while Shankly was manager. Broke my heart when he left, and I spent weeks arguing with my Scottish girlfriend and her dad that Dalglish could never replace him. :laugh:

Legend ? IMHO YES!
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby kazza » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:00 pm

Good knowledge Saint. I remember reading that he supported the Saints as a boy and that is why he played for them when he left Hamburg. he sang a song and made a record which I bought (awful song) it was called "To be home again".
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:13 am

Keegan went to Hamburg. He was not what you would call a natural born footballer; he did not have any great pace or skill - but he was a perfect professional who worked tirelessly on every aspect of his game, in modern times i think you could compare him to Beckham for that work ethic.

I was very dissapointed with him when he got sent off in the Charity shield way back against Leeds - he took his shirt off and threw it on the turf - Brian Clough summed it up at the time when he said "A Liverpool shirt is not something to be thrown away".

Not many Englishmen are voted Man of the year in Germany - he was.

He should be regarded as a legend IMO. And he is one of only a few players who have left Liverpool and had a good career afterwards. He was a brave professional who was never frightened to make the hardest decision for himself or a football club.. He has my respect, for what it is worth.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:41 am

I remember him leaving too, I was gutted too especially when I heard who was to replace him  :laugh:
I wanted Alan Simonsen!
I think the German league was top notch back then, but didnt we tank Hamburg 5-0 with Keegan in the team or something?
My old memory isnt what it was  :D
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:19 pm

He left for the money, simple as that.

I remember reading a quote from him where he said something along the lines of "I need to earn as much as I can in what is a short career", or some such b*llocks.

To be fair, at that time, he had a point.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:20 pm

I think the German league was top notch back then, but didnt we tank Hamburg 5-0 with Keegan in the team or something

Yeah in the supercup 6-0 McDermott hatrick, it was Dresden we beat 5-1 the same season. For some reason I get the two games mixed up so I had to look it up :D
account deleted by request

Postby Sean » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:04 pm

Liverpool had the first option to buy back Keegan from Hamburg and Peter Robinson and John Smith met with Keegan and suggested he come back as player-coach and later replace Paisley.  Keegan was flattered but didn't think management was for him.  Keegan was swayed to move to the Dell he wanted to link up with his racing buddy Mike Channon.  Keegan once commented that "if i'd wanted to go back to Liverpool I would never have left in the first place." Bob Paisley always regretted not having Dalglish and Keegan in the same team.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby .:RedKuyt:. » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:50 pm

He is a legend. NO doubt about it!!!
.:RedKuyt:.

Postby redmikey » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:16 pm

.:RedKuyt:. wrote:He is a legend. NO doubt about it!!!

if he could just now take over at everton and get them to defend like newcastle did under him and get relegated that would cement him as a true great  :buttrock
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion