John aldridge interview

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:27 am

February 10, 2008
QA: John Aldridge
Are Liverpool ever going to win the title again?

I bloody well hope so because it’s driving me mad. At the start of this season I thought we had a great chance, but I’m not so sure any more. These things go in circles, though, and we’ll be back. We’re moving in the right direction. The spine of our team — Reina, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard and Torres — is as good as anyone. It’s out wide where we could do with a Giggs or a Ronaldo or a Wright-Phillips.

It was very different in your day.

Our team was full of great players. Kenny Dalglish, John Barnes, Peter Beardsley. How could I not score playing with players like them? Our game was all about passing, keeping the ball and wearing the opposition down.

It must have been a culture shock when you played for Ireland under Jack Charlton.

I had no problems with that. I had no hesitation playing for Ireland. I qualified through my roots on my mum’s side and I call myself an Irish Scouser now. Liverpool people used to be patriotic in the old days, but some terrible things were done to our city by central governments during the Sixties, Seventies and Eighties. Look what Maggie Thatcher did to us. Some people in Liverpool are patriotic, but most aren’t — it’s like an independent principality.

You left Tranmere Rovers seven years ago. Is there any chance of you ever returning to the dugout?

Never say never, but I can’t see it happening. I became very disillusioned after five years at Tranmere. I was robbing Peter to pay Paul. I kept having to sell players and dismantle my teams. I just needed a rest.

What are you up to now?

Lots of things. I cover every Liverpool home and away game live for a radio station in Liverpool called Radio City and I write for a couple of magazines and newspapers and I do some after-dinner speaking and a lot of work in Ireland as well. When it comes to Liverpool, I should know what I’m talking about. I played for them and I’ve been supporting them for 43 years. It’s in the blood.

So you must get a friendly welcome when you go to Old Trafford.

I wouldn’t go that far. There’s a few idiots there who want to have a go, but there are idiots everywhere in the world. The majority of United fans don’t have a problem with me. Anyway, there’s plenty of Irish supporters there who look after me.

Is it true you won an Irish version of Celebrity X Factor?

Yes, unfortunately. I’m the worst singer in the world. It was worse than being in prison, but I was doing it for charity so I couldn’t give up. I thought I’d get booted out on the first day, but people kept voting for me because they felt sorry for me and I ended up winning. I had to sing 15 songs. Johnny Cash, The Beatles, Status Quo — you name it, I murdered it. I never realised I was so popular.

Finally, who is going to win the title?

Much as it hurts, I’ve got to say United. I’d like to see Arsenal win because I love the way they play, but United have got Ronaldo and he’s the one player who can win it on his own.

Interview by Kaveh Solhekol
account deleted by request

Postby neil » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:45 am

he's fookin boss aldo
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:50 am

Brilliant player for Ireland during the Charlton era.  His two goals away to Malta in November 1989 clinched qualification for our first world cup in 1990.  What a summer.  Liverpool won the league, Ireland reached the world cup quarter final and Cork won the all-Ireland hurling and football double.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:53 am

Legend, simple as.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:20 am

He's wrong, Arsenal are going to win it.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby hello_red » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:32 am

The guys a true gent and a scholar!

He gives a :censored:! Listen to his radio city commentray it can be quite funny.

Love the guy.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:58 am

When rush left for Juve and we signed aldridge, I thought at that time  man rush will be missed, how wrong I was proven ! Of all his time at the mighty reds though he will always be remembered for his sub rant for Ireland against Italy !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:18 am

Top player , never be forgotten . Arsenal will win the league esp after their 2-0 win against Blackburn last night
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:08 pm

prob my favourite ever LFC player.

He doesn't sound like a paddy but he is a legend in Ireland too.

I hope Arsenal win the league (we are out of it) as they play fantastic football and it would prove that you don't have to spend huge money to win the league.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:18 pm

Big Niall wrote:prob my favourite ever LFC player.

He doesn't sound like a paddy but he is a legend in Ireland too.

I hope Arsenal win the league (we are out of it) as they play fantastic football and it would prove that you don't have to spend huge money to win the league.

And we'll never hear the end of how their manager is the greatest in the world
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:42 pm

What was his rant, full of f and b´s but I cant remember the exact phrase?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:08 pm

It was actually against Mexico in world cup '94.  He went berserk 'cause the U.S.A. official (equipped with white hat and striped jacket) would'nt allow him on as sub.  Ireland were 2-0 down, suffering badly from the mid day heat in Orlando and amazingly players weren't allowed take water from the sidelines.  Aldo eventually got on and scored.  Even though Ireland lost 2-1, Aldo's goal was vital for the goal difference and meant a draw against Norway would ensure qualification for the second round.  Ireland got the 0-0 draw with Norway but lost to Holland in the second round.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:25 pm

The first Spanish words he ever said when he played in Real Sociedad were "Liverpool". I didn't understand much more in his first Spanish words, but he always was praising his former team.

A thing that struck me back then highly is that he left his beloved club due to competition, that's not rare, what's rare is that he didn't said something like "I'm better than Rush" like Sissoko, instead, he praised both Rush and Beardsley, and admitted it was difficult to play there with such men. I owe him and to Toshack my love for Liverpool.

In this words he talks more like a supporter than as a pundit, good read anyway.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:58 am

Aldo Legend.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:12 pm

Rush was a legend and left for Juventus and we got a carbon copy in Aldo. Personally, I wouldn't have bought Rush back and think he had peaked when we sold him. I don't think the figure of how much we bought him back for was disclosed but I'm sure it was  alot of money for the time. The two couldn't play together and I think Aldo had done so well with Barnes/Beardsley he should have stayed. Aldo was a bit older but he had less miles on the clock as his time in Spain showed - few English strikers succeeded in Europe but I think he became a success straight away. Even when he was well past it at Tranmere he kept banging in goals.

okay - build a time machine, go back to 1989, would you buy Rush back and sell Aldo?
Last edited by Big Niall on Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion