Interesting - Football 365

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed May 11, 2005 2:09 am

By Philip Cornwall

Blimey. Common sense and football rarely mix - not least because football is not often simple enough for common sense to be applied. But Lennart Johansson may just have sorted out the Champions League row.

It won't be to everyone's satisfaction, but to fewer people's dissatisfaction than any other solution.

The president of UEFA has effectively said that if Liverpool beat Milan on May 25 then all the Football Association need do is ask nicely, in writing, and the Reds will be able to defend their crown.

This will jar with some - not least UEFA spokesman William Gaillard, who was recently explaining: "The English Premiership has four places and it would be unfair to tell another national association that they have lost one of theirs."

He also defended UEFA's current rules, which state: "No association may enter more than four clubs for the competiton." Nice and clear.

But UEFA's rules do allow an extra team from a country if the winners of the Champions League do not requalify from the league and that country has one, two or three entrants.

"At the request of the national association concerned, the UEFA Champions League title-holders may be entered for this competition, as an additional representative of that association, if they have not qualified for the UEFA Champions League via the top domestic league championship."

It is the next sentence in the regulations that has proved so problematic: "If, in such a case, the title-holders come from an association entitled to enter four teams for the UEFA Champions League, the fourth-placed club in the top domestic league championship has to be entered for the UEFA Cup."

But what is required to accommodate an extra team does not change between adding an extra side from a team with three entrants and one with four. Depending on where a club enters the draw, UEFA just have to push a team back per round.

These are the sides with most to complain about if Liverpool do return as champions. But Gaillard seems unaware that there is nothing different about adding an extra team in these possible circumstances than in those that the rules allowed.

Johansson sees this. Also - after I wittered on about Liverpool being left to play for glory - Mammon has intervened. Liverpool are a big television draw across the continent and beyond; the television companies and sponsors the Champions League exists for want them in, if possible.

The argument against alllowing a fifth team was probably that it shifts the balance of power too much to one country: one quarter of the teams in the Premiership could be in the Champions League next season.

But, barring another remarkable turn of events, that will be that for fifth places for a while: the extra points England will gain may solidify their place in the top three, but cannot win extra berths.

The greater distortion would come by admitting a team from a country with fewer than four entrants, the extra points available offering a great chance to cross the boundary between one band and another.

From time to time I hanker after the days of champions only in the competition. A year ago I argued that Liverpool's fourth place was not really worth a spot in this season's competition.

But if UEFA are going to have multiple entries then the champions of Europe should certainly take part, whatever the circumstances.

If Liverpool beat Milan, Johansson should have his way. Regardless, to avoid a repeat of the recent mess, UEFA should rethink and rescind the rule against a fifth team.

So a combination of a superannuated power-broker and TV demands are set to come to the rescue of sport. Funny old world[B]

im interested in the part that says the fourth place team has to enter the uefa cup so whats going on here?
112-1077774096

Postby 76-1115222408 » Wed May 11, 2005 2:27 am

I  was reading that bit and thought the same. i wasn't sure if i had read it correctly(as it is late!!) so i read it again.........and like u say WHAT IS GOING ON??  Although Everscum deserve their 4th spot as they have been consistent, if i am to beleive what i have just read here(and on the now missing link from the OFFICIAL F.A website!!), then if we were to win the CL they shud be demoted to have fun in the UEFA cup.
:)
76-1115222408

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed May 11, 2005 2:30 am

let the have to appeal for a place when we win champions league, let the sweat it out
112-1077774096

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion