Interesting article

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:51 am

Source: LFC.tv

Liverpool legend John Barnes has hailed Steven Gerrard as the best midfielder in the world and believes his imminent return to first team action will provide the Reds with the massive boost they need right now. 

After successfully coming through a 44-minute reserve outing on Monday Gerrard is set for a place in the squad that travels to Middlesbrough this weekend.

And following the bad news that Milan Baros is to join Djibril Cisse on the sidelines for up to four weeks, Barnes insists Gerrard can provide the ideal tonic for Rafael Benitez's men.

"Gerrard has a talismanic influence on the Liverpool team and in my opinion, is the best midfielder in the world at the moment," he says.

"The fantastic thing for Benitez is that Gerrard is so versatile that he can play anywhere across the midfield. And with the injuries up front, he could even keep Xabi Alonso and Didi Hamann as the central midfield axis and push Gerrard on just behind the main striker.

"That would give Steven a licence to get forward and support the attack as he likes to do anyway, but with the added security of Hamann and Alonso holding."

Meanwhile Barnes believes La Liga duo Fernando Morientes and Pablo Aimar would make perfect additions to the Reds squad when the transfer window reopens in January.

With Ciise out for the season Benitez could well be tempted to boost his striking options come January and Barnes is of the opinion that Morientes fits the bill.

"Liverpool definitely need another striker now and Morientes is currently the best option available to them," he adds.

"He's not getting regular football at the Bernabeu with Michael Owen, Raul and Ronaldo all now ahead of him - and if Liverpool come in for you as a player, you don't turn them down.

"Baros and Cisse, although now injured, both like the ball behind them but Morientes could provide the focal point for the attack, holding the ball up while the second striker looks to make the run behind.

"I was extremely impressed with the way Morientes played for Monaco against Chelsea during last season's two Champions League semi-final legs and I'm sure he would be a success at Liverpool."

Barnes is also a huge admirer of Valencia's 25-year old Argentina international Pablo Aimar. "Aimar is a player that I have thought Liverpool should buy for some time now.

"He's got great pace and is very intuitive, adventurous and unpredictable, although whether Valencia would want to do business with Benitez is another matter. Luis Garcia and Harry Kewell are similar to Aimar, but strength in depth is what wins you titles.

"While I don't think Liverpool can win the Premiership this season, they should improve on last season's point tally and finishing third ahead of Manchester United is a realistic possibility and would signal solid progress," said the former England winger, who won two Championship medals during his time at Anfield.

"The squad is shaping up very well and with the addition of Morientes and Aimar, Liverpool could be right up there challenging next year. I've spoken to Didi Hamann and a few of the other lads about Benitez and they speak very highly of him."

Well said by Mr.Barnes, I agree that along with Morientes we should consider signing Aimar however due to the conflict between Valencia FC and Benitez I doubt that any business will be done.

Morientes is still most likely the one who will sign with us as he is not getting any action at all at Madrid. I think that the Spaniards here will influence him to sign and I hope that he does wear the Red shirt starting this January.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:56 am

Nice one Digger :cool:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion