Hyypia just a thought

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:07 pm

Again agree. Well said. 100%.
115-1073096938

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:25 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:P.S. Rotating centre backs is the most stupid idea I have ever heard. The defence and keeper should be the same week in week out unless there is an injury, suspension or exhaustion.

Thats been proved time and again, the teams with the best defensive record keep virtually the same players (if possible) every game.
Sami has been immense this season, and it will take a hell of a player on current form to dislodge him.

We are all agreed that we need competition though, and it will be interesting to see what happens in the next 2-3 weeks.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:00 pm

Fair bit of sense being spoken on this thread.

We couldn't have asked for any more from the defence this season, they have been immense and in my opinion Hyypia is still the best of the bunch.  Carra has been getting a lot of praise and rightly so, he has been fantastic since switching to centre back, but Hyypia's improved form this season is the key.  Someone mentioned about him having to adapt to defending higher up the pitch and that is exactly why he had a dip in form last season, but now he's used to it he is once again a key player for us.

I don't think we should underestimate just how much we need centre back cover though, for me it should be our number 1 priority even over a right winger or centre forward.  Josemi or Traore as cover is totally unacceptable, if we don't get cover in January we could really be setting ourselves up for a fall if Hyypia/Carra gets injured or suspended.  I like the idea of getting in a younger guy as someone said, to sit on the bench this season and eventually replace Hyypia.

I'd also add that Hyypia will be just as effective at 35 as he is now (what is he 32?).  He's not got pace to lose but he's a good pro who looks after himself off the pitch, he should still have another 2 seasons in him for us after this year (whether that be as first choice CB or backup).
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:07 pm

Well wel. Suppose you know where I stand regarding Hyypia. As soon as Rafa gets his man his days in the first 11 will be numbered. We will improve massively as a team with a better central defender. Milito is my man.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:12 pm

can anyone remember the last time carragher missed a league game? i certainly can't.

as for centre halves, i certainly agree that we need to bring in a new player as cover for the two we have now. hyypia is still class and carragher has been the best centre half in the league this season. i also don't subscribe to the theory that we need a centre half with pace. our record so far backs this up.

with the exception of left back the back four now picks itself week in week out. it was the same during the treble season when hyypia, henchoz, babbel and carragher must have played nearly 60 games each with ziege occassionally filling in for carragher at left back. speaking of left back, we have three solid options in that position at the moment but nothing spectacular. riise is the best option at the moment but i've still got doubts about his defensive positioning even now. warnock is too undisciplined and traore is just garbage.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:13 pm

Not sure about Milito myself Banana.  I haven't seen that much of him admittedly, but all I can say is that at 5'9'' he would have to be exceptional to cut it in the rough and tumble of the English prem.  I gather that aerial ability won't be a strength of his so in my opinion he isn't a suitable player to eventually replace Hyypia.

As good a player as Carra is he's not dominant in the air, he needs someone like Hyypia alongside him to do that job, that must be the main attribute of Hyypia's eventual replacement.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:24 pm

Reina is quality.

Sami, Finnan and Jamie are quality.

Riise and Warnock could be rotated depended on the game.

The back four's solid. Once we get one decent centre half in for cover, we're laughing in that area.
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:25 pm

john craig wrote:Not sure about Milito myself Banana.  I haven't seen that much of him admittedly, but all I can say is that at 5'9'' he would have to be exceptional to cut it in the rough and tumble of the English prem.  I gather that aerial ability won't be a strength of his so in my opinion he isn't a suitable player to eventually replace Hyypia.

As good a player as Carra is he's not dominant in the air, he needs someone like Hyypia alongside him to do that job, that must be the main attribute of Hyypia's eventual replacement.

Spot on.
115-1073096938

Postby A.B. » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:02 pm

Hyypia has had a fantastic season thus far *knock on wood*, he would not be placed on the bench because he's really a king in the air. We do however need cover, but I don't think that a new CB will take over his spot. It will alow Benitez to rest Hyypia and Carra at times, but I don't think that Hyypia would become numero dos.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:37 am

Don't be too suprised to see Rafa selection a 3-5-2 if we get a good, pacey CB in Jan.

Reina

JC                              Sami                          ???

Finnan                                          Alonso                                    Riise

New RW                                             Gonzalez/Kewell
                                           Gerrard
                                                            Crouch.

I think this could well be a "B" plan in the near future.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red @ Heart » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:05 am

so will Mark Gonzalez be eligible in january then or what? i hope so  :rasp
"GERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD what a goal"
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby Theo@home » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:15 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:Don't be too suprised to see Rafa selection a 3-5-2 if we get a good, pacey CB in Jan.

Reina

JC                              Sami                          ???

Finnan                                          Alonso                                    Riise

New RW                                             Gonzalez/Kewell
                                           Gerrard
                                                            Crouch.

I think this could well be a "B" plan in the near future.

Fianlly!!! Someone else sees Gerrard in the hole as a potentially dangerous option for us....
Theo@home

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:07 am

stu_the_red wrote:Reina is quality.

Sami, Finnan and Jamie are quality.

Riise and Warnock could be rotated depended on the game.

The back four's solid. Once we get one decent centre half in for cover, we're laughing in that area.

Too true.

I wouldnt expect a new center-half to come in midway through the season and take Hyypias place. That wouldnt make good sense, but to bring a center-half in as a future replacment would make good sense.

Im not to sure whos available at the minute , but a player who does cause alot of interestand and is highly rated is Vincent Kompany. 
Considering he plays for an average side you would think Anderlecht maybe tempted to sell him when they see a considerable offer on the table.
66-1112520797

Postby DAV » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:21 am

Ive seen Kompany play a few times on TV
He signed a new contract in the summer, i know contracts don;t count for much anymore.So we will see, he looks a good player.

Anderlecht-defender Vincent Kompany has signed his new contract with RSC Anderlecht this afternoon. Both sides reached an agreement to lay his current contract on the table. Kompany already had a contract until june 2008 with Sporting Anderlecht, that agreement has now been extended with two seasons.
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:32 pm

DAV wrote:Vincent Kompany

welshwizzard said he's coming so he definitely must be.  :wwww
jonnymac1979

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion