Hamman stays - Official..at last

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:43 pm

From Sky sports news
Dietmar Hamann has settled his future by agreeing on a new deal with European champions Liverpool.

Hamann's current deal was to expire in the summer, and some thought his last game in a red shirt could have come in the UEFA Champions League final.

The German midfielder made a superb impact when coming on at half time in Istanbul, helping to stem Milan's threat and eventually help The Reds to an amazing victory.

The 31-year-old was linked with move to Bolton and Everton, as well as several returns to Germany, with Liverpool appearing to be slow to offer him a new deal.

However, Hamann has now agreed on a new one-year deal at Anfield, with Rafa Benitez having the option of a further year after that.

"Once Liverpool made me an offer, there was only one place I wanted to play my football," Hamann told the Liverpool Echo.

"I always said the first club I would speak to about my future was Liverpool because I wanted to stay.

"The gaffer said we would wait until after the final before we had a meeting and that's what we did. We came to an agreement instantly. I'll be here next season and hopefully for the next two years.

"I'm delighted the manager wanted to keep me. I read a lot about other clubs being interested, but I couldn't imagine playing for any club in England."

Hamann's commitment could not be questioned after he played the latter part of the Champions League final with a broken bone in his foot - even scoring one of the crucial penalties in the process.

The former Newcastle and Bayern Munich man has won every club honour during his time with Liverpool, apart from The Premiership, and he believes he has a chance to complete his set of medals.

"It's going to be hard to challenge for the title in the next two seasons, but let's give it a go. The Premiership is the only club competition I haven't won since I joined Liverpool. I'm desperate for us to do it.

"The manager has achieved great things already by winning the Champions League and I know he's planning to bring in new players for next season.

"If we can settle quickly and everyone starts working together tactically early on, who knows what can happen?

"Maybe we can surprise the top three. It's going to be tough to do that, but I think we'll improve a lot."

Although Hamann is staying at Anfield, it seems as though Igor Biscan is on his way out of the club despite his remarkable upturn in form last season.

The Croatian was reborn under Benitez, especially in Europe, but it seems he has not done enough to earn a new contract and will have to look for a new club.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Belfastred » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:50 pm

Iam delighted, i know hes Old(ish) and I know we need to unload, but gladly now it seems Didi is not one of the departed. He could have easily huffed after not starting in the cl final but didnt. First class player and top class bloke
Belfastred

Postby RedRoots » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:54 pm

Didi's a top geezer, i'm delighted to see him stay, he's a true red, the likes of Baros and Kewell could learn a thing or two from this man.
RedRoots

Postby laza » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:57 pm

Great news, very underrated player in some quarters,  though i would have thought it would be on LFC TV site
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloAimar » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:04 pm

great news! we'd hav only been the 2nd best team in europe without him :p star man!
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby A.B. » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:10 pm

Great news, The Kaiser is staying.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:18 pm

Still a quality player and we definitely do need him next season.  Great news :)
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pablo_Escobar » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:23 pm

Once again - great news, Didi has done us good this season, great at the final, and he'll be vital for upcoming season.
Pablo_Escobar
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby IstanBuL-FenerBaHce » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:24 pm

He's one of the best DM's, great news for LFC :)
IstanBuL-FenerBaHce
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:40 pm

I guessed this news would be soon in coming after it was announced that Igor was leaving, and I'm absolutely delighted. A top, top player fit to grace the biggest occasions - we're lucky to have him. :)
ivor_the_injun

Postby Woollyback » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:57 pm

Absolutely delighted, he's been a stalwart for us for many years and is still more than capable of playing at the top level as he showed with a resolute performance in Istanbul

Nice one Didi  :cool:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:08 pm

Briliant news, i think Didi deffo has at least one more good year in him and quite possibly another season after that, i think his and hyppia's experience will prove vital next year as we improve further and further.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:22 pm

The lad helped transform the champions league final, and has always been a great professional.
Its a really good signing an reward for him.
Made up.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hamza » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:24 pm

Over the4 monn wat a class player and so underrated played in the CL final with a broken bone in his foot and kewell came off after 20 mins witha slight groin strain shows don't it
Hamza

Postby wiped » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:33 pm

Superb news ... delighted. Hamman will be a future Cult Legend of LFC
wiped
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion