Hamann's role - Hamann's contract

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby the_red_alonso » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:52 pm

Hamann has been a gr8 servant for this club & at the start of the season i thought he would be a regular player of the team
(especially after his role in the european cup final).But although we knew that he would play less matches but the impact of Sissoko means he will struggle to feature in the team nxt season( making guest appearances now or then)
Although he loves Liverpool but at 32/33 he would like to end his career playing some more football rather than jst rot in the reserves.
Liverpool put a clause in his current contract which stated that the 32-year-old would be offered another deal if he played in 22 games this season.

Should & if he leaves this summer do we need a central midfielder  although many would suggest RM & a ST as the priority?
And if he leaves & Rafa decides to get a CM will he opt for a young talent again or go for a big-reputation player.(I really want to see Aimar or Rosicky in the red shirt,give me a pinch!!)
Any constructive thoughts on Hamann's possible replacement?(though Sissoko looks like he is going to be as good as Hamann or may be even better)-YNWA
the_red_alonso
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:04 pm

Sissoko could get to a similar level to what Hamann was.

We need to replace but Aimar isn't a centre a mid. I'd have a look at Scott Parker if the money's right. Take Owen of Newcastle aswell... Imagine Newcastle without those two and Steven Taylor... :laugh:
115-1073096938

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:07 pm

Going back to Joey Barton Stu.

Remember we were in for him before he signed his new contract to supposedly add some more scouse to the team? Well he's vastly improved over the past year and could find himself moving away from City in the near future if he keeps it up.

What d'ya reckon?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:11 pm

hamman egg roll? HAHAHAHHAAHA

sorry, on a serious note i think this is definately hammans last season with us. if we do buy our right mid which we will then we dont need anyone to replace as we will have stevie, xabi and mom in the centre with youngsters coming through. We also have wide players who can fill the gap if needed.
and barton has grown up a lot recently but a signing for liverpool, political reasons aside, would be risky still
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:12 pm

Family of scum. Good player he is though.
115-1073096938

Postby AlanHansen » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:13 pm

I'm guessing that Gerrard/Alonso/Sissoko will be our main central midfielders so we will need someone who is content to play second fiddle and just be used if there's an injury, I can see Hamann staing another year and then maybe replacing him with a young player, no point in getting an established one.
AlanHansen

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:13 pm

stmichael wrote:Going back to Joey Barton Stu.

Remember we were in for him before he signed his new contract to supposedly add some more scouse to the team? Well he's vastly improved over the past year and could find himself moving away from City in the near future if he keeps it up.

What d'ya reckon?

I really like Barton as a player, he has a bit of everything to his game.
I dont think Pearce would entertain bids at the moment but if we could pick him up for 3-4 million i think it would be a bargain.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:16 pm

I have to agree with Dawson, if we get a class RM, then another CM isnt really needed. Though Didi may stay as cover in case StevieG is pushed out on right again .
If we are going to make a serious tip at ultimate glory next season , the bulk of money needs to be spent on a striker. Without slagging off our current forward rota, i dont think they are going to get us enough goals from them to do the business
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Puddy Heskey » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:37 pm

We have to many players for every position if you think about it.3 good goalkeepers.
Defenders we have hypia,krompkamp,finnan,warnock,risse,carrahger,agger,

Midfielders we have:zenden,garcia,risse,gerrard,alsonso,momo,hamman

Strikers:moro,cisse,crouch,sinama,

We have to many bloomin players.But id still love a world class striker.We really dont need a player anywhere.We can do well with what weve got.The longer a team plays together the better they are.Look at wigan.No great players but just play well as a team.as most of them have been together for a long time.And Everton everton last year.
Puddy Heskey

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:56 pm

i'd like to see Hamman stay for another year, but he might want regular football at this stage of his career.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:59 pm

A great buy and a good servent to the club down through the years but it looks like Momo has now taken his place, bit hopefully he will stay for another year as cover. He will always come in and do a good job for the team.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:10 pm

Hamman still has a role to play this season. I'm sure he would like to be playing more games but i've no doubt he will get a run of games at some stage this season. While Sissoko gives us so much energy Hamman can crucial in those big European away games when we need someone to sit on front of the back four, break up attacks and slowing the game down. How many times have we seen Hamman win the ball, shield it, and then win the foul when we are up against in Europe?

As for next season. I'm pretty sure he will move on to a team like Bolton or maybe even back to Germany. Not sure i can see someone like Parker coming along with the likes of Gerrard, Alonso and Sissoko to compete with so i would expect Rafa to go for another youngster or maybe a veteran player who doesn't mind sitting out a few games.

As for Barton. I watched a game on the box a few weeks ago. Can't remember who City were playing, i know they got thumped but Barton was absolutely everywhere and topped off a cracking performance with a great goal. He looks like he's finally developing but like all English players his value will rocket to the ridiculous over the next 12 months.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:21 pm

Scottbot wrote:While Sissoko gives us so much energy Hamman can crucial in those big European away games when we need someone to sit on front of the back four, break up attacks and slowing the game down. How many times have we seen Hamman win the ball, shield it, and then win the foul when we are up against in Europe?

in a nutshell
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:39 pm

How many "points" has Sissoko racked up in various competitions? We hear so much about how dirty he's been at times that I've lost track of how many of his challenges he was carded for.

Regardless, I'm guessing a suspension will be along at some point, and if Hamann comes in and looks the part, Momo isn't going to walk straight back into the team.
ivor_the_injun

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion