Get the bird out...... - Pepe reinas nickname is "the bird"

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Hebz » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:14 pm

gato_busta wrote:
Hebz wrote:
CharmlessMan wrote:yet to understand why Reina punches the ball instead of catching the ball. The mind ponders such a thought.

Are other Europeon countries training the goal keepers to punch? Because it's quite common to see that a Europeon goal keeper will choose to punch rather than catch. I really don't understand it, and Reina does it too often, thats a really bad weakness in terms of saving goals.

the main problem with catching the ball is the current balls that are being used. balls are frequently changing, becoming lighter and faster (once kicked) therefore, harder to catch. I believe he chooses to punch the ball because it is a quicker way to get the ball away from danger and avoids the problem of trying to catch it and having it slip inside the area where,it would be left in a more dangerous position. Plus, when we signed him that was one of his characteristic traits. He would punch the ball all the way to midfield for the counter attack.

i see why he does it, and yeah it was one of the characteristics that made him special, BUT! recently, when he punches the balls they havent been punched that far on the pitch, he just makes rash decisions, which results in arguments/disagreements with the defence.

Reina is a great goal keeper don't get me wrong, he just needs to focus on how to catch the ball, because he's unsuccessful at clearing the ball with his punches.
Hebz

Postby Redrider » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:38 pm

I think we have bought yet another dud goalkeeper in Reina. Can't see his confidence and judgement improving. Ship him out for me.

The current Scotland goalie, who plays for Hearts is being touted as a future star. The new 'Flying Pig'
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:23 am

The reason our 'bird' as the poster has labelled him is showing signs of 'flapping' is simple!

Lack of confidence from defence through midfield to up front and back again is putting too much pressure on him.

When the team play well we will see the best from our keeper...No one with a sane mind can expect Reina to be on full form and in 5th gear when the 10 players in front of him are revving in second gear !

Hes a quality keeper...wait and see!

Fu.ckin silly posts on here lately........ :D :D
66-1120597113

Postby Rush Job » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:18 am

The scots keeper is craig gordon he is  young, promising but already solid and technaly sound. A british "style" keeper if you like ( he catches ).
Already has a heep of caps and is a big player in the Scotland revival, proberly would be avaliable for a few mill.
I don`t want rid of Pepe but if we were to look in that area may be after we get rid of some dead wood i`d like him to be in the frame ( no pun intended )
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:31 am

BarryBelfast wrote:The reason our 'bird' as the poster has labelled him is showing signs of 'flapping' is simple!

Lack of confidence from defence through midfield to up front and back again is putting too much pressure on him.

When the team play well we will see the best from our keeper...No one with a sane mind can expect Reina to be on full form and in 5th gear when the 10 players in front of him are revving in second gear !

Thats b0llocks mate, your basicly saying a keeper is only as good as the ten players infront of him. If there on form he'll play well, and if there off form he'll play badly.

Think about it, form is mainly down to the individual, but granted a lack of and confidence in the defence may effect him. But it most definately works the other way, if a defence know that their keeper is low on form or whatever they'll be shacky too, they wont have the confidence in him. This was the case with David James & Dudek to an extent.

But take Shay Given for example, he's had a sh.it defence, (f.uck it a s.hit team) infront of him for years yet he is still a quality keeper. Its always easier to point the finger elsewhere, but the fact of the matter is Reina has been average at best.
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:32 am

Bamaga man wrote:
BarryBelfast wrote:The reason our 'bird' as the poster has labelled him is showing signs of 'flapping' is simple!

Thats b0llocks mate, your basicly saying a keeper is only as good as the ten players infront of him. If there on form he'll play well, and if there off form he'll play badly.

Think about it, form is mainly down to the individual, but granted a lack of and confidence in the defence may effect him. But it most definately works the other way, if a defence know that their keeper is low on form or whatever they'll be shacky too, they wont have the confidence in him. This was the case with David James & Dudek to an extent.

But take Shay Given for example, he's had a sh.it defence, (f.uck it a s.hit team) infront of him for years yet he is still a quality keeper. Its always easier to point the finger elsewhere, but the fact of the matter is Reina has been average at best.

Wrong mate!

Reina can still play well but when the team especially the defence is not  firing on all cylinders its puts more pressure on the the keeper!

All goalkeepers are a bit more shakey when there defence is a bit more leaky!Reina was spoilt last season,our back 4 were superb...so far this season they have been lacking.Not clearing as many balls out of the box and not protecting the goal as well ariely!
Hence giving him more to do.....and taking away a bit of the confidence they had in eachother!

It aint :censored: atal mate its the way things are!
66-1120597113

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:59 am

Reina does not look half the keeper that he was last year . Some suggest his apparent loss of form and confidence is due to the constant changes made in the back four , a fair point perhaps , but it's equally incumbent upon the keeper to generate confidence amongst those in front of him . For some time now I've been concerned at Reina's "flaps" . Initially I just wrote them off, as all keepers get things badly wrong from time to time , Pepe however is (imo) now looking like a keeper living on the edge of a "howler" in virtually each and every game. Not calling for the fella's head , he has shown some good ability but there's an air of panic about his play of late .

:(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:09 am

BarryBelfast wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

Wrong mate!

Reina can still play well but when the team especially the defence is not  firing on all cylinders its puts more pressure on the the keeper!

All goalkeepers are a bit more shakey when there defence is a bit more leaky!Reina was spoilt last season,our back 4 were superb...so far this season they have been lacking.Not clearing as many balls out of the box and not protecting the goal as well ariely!
Hence giving him more to do.....and taking away a bit of the confidence they had in eachother!

So tell me, why is the defences fault when Reina fumbles the ball for West Hams second goal in the FA cup final?

Why is it the defences fault when Reina lets the third goal in against Everton, and dont tell me it doesnt matter that the game was already over?

Why is it the defences fault when Reina gets caught at the near post against West Ham?

Why is it the defences fault when Reina makes a bad decision to come for a cross, then stop and get caught in no mans land for Blackburns goal.

Infact why is it the defences fault when Reina makes the wrong decision as to stay on his line or come and claim the ball?

Why is it the defences fault Reina looks at times suspect on crosses and opts to punch, but not convincingly?

There are way too many questions there to be blamed on the defence, there Reina's responsibily. Maybe some of the questions can be partly blamed on the defence, but simple handling and judgment can't.

I think most people on these boards, know Reinas been suspect more than once on occasions. Even the people who havent critised Reina, I think know deep down he has made some notable mistakes.
66-1112520797

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:12 am

this is a hard, he has made some outstanding saves in his time, and of course kept all those clean sheets.

but i noticed early on he had a tendency to make simple mistakes but i put that down to nerves as he was still new, but the simple mistakes are still happening. i said in a thread last year that he is a dodgy keeper and i still feel that.
112-1077774096

Postby mattylfc » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:40 am

I agree with Bamaga man on this one.  Dont get me wrong, i do think that Reina is a good keeper but i dont think his poor form this season can be blamed on the defense.  It will obviously have some affect but all in all Reina just hasnt looked confident this season. It seems to me that he isnt entirely happy at coming to catch the ball so it has been drilled into him to just puch the ball everytime so that there is no undecision.  Unfortunately he isnt even doing that particularly well at the moment though. 

The fact that other players are going through a similar patch is making it harder though as people seem to be finding it hard at times to get behind each other and rally the team.

Reina seems to have a very strong charachter though, much stronger than the likes of Dudek.  He doesnt look like someone who will hide, he knows he is under-performing and Im confident that he will soon get out of this bad patch and regain the confidence he showed last year.  Three home games on the trott now so a good time to build up the confidence and hopefully keep a couple of clean sheets along the way.
mattylfc

Postby oakton » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:52 am

i am serious, he looks a bit fat to be a keeper, i don't think he moves that well.
oakton

Postby 67-1161385641 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:15 am

oakton wrote:i am serious, he looks a bit fat to be a keeper, i don't think he moves that well.

I think you're mistaking Reina for Paul Robinson. I have to agree with some of what Bamaga Man has written, he is spot on, and most of Reina's mistakes are down to his lack of confidence and poor judgement. Reina hasn't looked great this season, but I'm still adamant that he is our best keeper. However you have to ask yourself the question, which is "would Reina be making all these blunders if the defence in front of him had the correct communication and did their job properly? Another point worth noting is that Reina has kept on making great saves this season, which seem to have gone unnoticed by the majority. The way some people are talking you would get the impression every shot that rains down on his goal he lets in.

Why is it only Reina that seems to be getting criticised in the thousands? Alonso, Gerrard, Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Bellamy and Garcia haven't been great thus far, yet I don't see too many threads about their poor form.
67-1161385641

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:56 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
BarryBelfast wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

Wrong mate!

So tell me, why is the defences fault when Reina fumbles the ball for West Hams second goal in the FA cup final?

Why is it the defences fault when Reina lets the third goal in against Everton, and dont tell me it doesnt matter that the game was already over?

Why is it the defences fault when Reina gets caught at the near post against West Ham?

Why is it the defences fault when Reina makes a bad decision to come for a cross, then stop and get caught in no mans land for Blackburns goal.

Infact why is it the defences fault when Reina makes the wrong decision as to stay on his line or come and claim the ball?

Why is it the defences fault Reina looks at times suspect on crosses and opts to punch, but not convincingly?

There are way too many questions there to be blamed on the defence, there Reina's responsibily. Maybe some of the questions can be partly blamed on the defence, but simple handling and judgment can't.

I think most people on these boards, know Reinas been suspect more than once on occasions. Even the people who havent critised Reina, I think know deep down he has made some notable mistakes.

Simply because he is nervous at times when the back 4 make mistakes likewise when he makes mistakes the back 4 become edgy...its a vicious circle thats hard to get out of!

Im not saying that any of his clangers are an immediate result of what the defence is doing.What i am saying is that neither him or the back 4 have had the start of the season they wanted and the defensive form including Reinas is suffering due to lack of confidence in themselves and eachother!
66-1120597113

Postby Redrider » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:22 pm

Rush Job wrote:The scots keeper is craig gordon he is  young, promising but already solid and technaly sound. A british "style" keeper if you like ( he catches ).
Already has a heep of caps and is a big player in the Scotland revival, proberly would be avaliable for a few mill.
I don`t want rid of Pepe but if we were to look in that area may be after we get rid of some dead wood i`d like him to be in the frame ( no pun intended )

Sounds like a good-un !!

Could pick him up from Hearts amidst all their current 'internal disruption' !!
After all Dudek's suspension, proves that we need another second string goalie at the very least, especially as Capt' Kirk has now fully beamed over to 'Starship Wigan'.
Wouldn't be that sure that Carson will ever come back either.

Could be a good move to pick up the haggis eater in the Jan window, before some other 'big money' lunatics get on the case.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion