Get the bird out...... - Pepe reinas nickname is "the bird"

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stoney » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:10 pm

LiverpoolMadman wrote:I dont think Rafa will drop Pepe .... ( and I think we all know why ) .....

I think your a numpty and we all know why.....  :D
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby EddieC » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:29 pm

Thehobo wrote:his nickname is "the bird" cause he flaps alot

is it possible for us to recall either carson or kirkland? because either one of these look more solid this season (and they have been playing in teams where they are called upon for action most of the time)

get the bird out, hes been awful this season.

Great idea.

And while we're at it, Gerrard hasn't looked his normal self this season, do you reckon we could recall Diao from Stoke?

And Carra's made a couple of mistakes, let's see if we can re-sign Traore in January.

Hobbit, or whatever your name is, think a bit more before you post.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:38 pm

It's not Oasis, could be but it's much more Hustler-esque IMO.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:48 pm

LFC #1 wrote:It's not Oasis, could be but it's much more Hustler-esque IMO.

its Oasis  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Rush Job » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:28 pm

Pepe was great last season, the defence as a unit was the best in the league without doutb. The general nervousness and uncertancy is there but is that down to him "flappin" or is it the changes at the back and the fact the defence hasn`t been workin as a "unit".
That said there has been soom great indivual performances ( yep Agger )
we can only improve, least we got goals in us.
I don`t think we`ve had a keeper who could come and take a cross time after time without us all wincin since clem.
or is that mincin ( oasis):p
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 67-1161385641 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:08 pm

I think Reina is being overly-criticised, which isn't nice to see, but it happens. He has made a lot of mistakes this season, but that happens to a keeper. Can any of his critics honestly say they'd be more confidence with the sick note Kirkland in goal, the inexperienced keepers Carson and Martin and the low confidence, nervous wreck of a Polish keeper between the sticks ahead of Reina? I'm not Reina's biggest fan but I'm more confident with him between the sticks than I am with any other of our keepers in goal.

I don't see many people blaming the back four in equal measure or the fact that Rafa is making a mistake by rotating the back four every match. Yes Reina plays some part in the blame, but how anyone can lay all the blame on him is just pure madness.
67-1161385641

Postby coddy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:11 pm

I believe defensive continuity is the problem at the minute. last season we pretty much used the same back 4, this season Agger and Aurelio have been thrown in as well. Reina isnt the problem, Continuity is.
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

Immortalised by his own Legend. God Speed.

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:23 pm

We buy goalkeepers that cant save goals James, Friedle, Westerveld, Dudek, Kirkland , Carson, Reina and strikers that cant score Dundee, Maijor, Heskey, Diouf, Baros, Morientes, how the hell do we keep winning cups?

Maybe they arnt all as bad as we sometimes make them out to be ?  :D
account deleted by request

Postby coddy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:25 pm

s@int wrote:We buy goalkeepers that cant save goals James, Friedle, Westerveld, Dudek, Kirkland , Carson, Reina and strikers that cant score Dundee, Maijor, Heskey, Diouf, Baros, Morientes, how the hell do we keep winning cups?

Maybe they arnt all as bad as we sometimes make them out to be ?  :D

Pepe is a good keeper, i think he is trying to hard to impress and is a little inexperienced. He has a long career in front of him and he can really only get better.

But yeah i think we are sometimes too critical of some players.
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hebz » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:34 pm

Reina is a great keeper, he just needs to stop panicking and punching that ball! I don't understand why he does it, because half of the times he punches it, he makes it a lot more easier for the opposition to score. If he caught the ball more, then maybe he wouldn't need to panic, I don't think any other keeper would be able to do such a good job as Reina. And I agree with the Continuity idea, Rafa needs to decide on a permanent back four. When he does that, Reina will probably feel more comfortable, and therefore would be able to make some cracking saves :) I hope!
Hebz

Postby 67-1161385641 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:37 pm

coddy wrote:I believe defensive continuity is the problem at the minute. last season we pretty much used the same back 4, this season Agger and Aurelio have been thrown in as well. Reina isnt the problem, Continuity is.

That is a big part of the problem and I'm shocked that Rafa decides to rotate the defence as much as he does. The odd change here and there is acceptable, but constant change IMO effects the communication between the defence (including the keeper) and creates problems and leaks, which is evident thus far. However some of Reina's decision was shocking, last night for example for the third Reading goal, why not catch it? I've yet to understand why Reina punches the ball instead of catching the ball. The mind ponders such a thought.

Another point is at times he is rash with his decision making none more evident was against United where he rushed out of the box after some lax defending on the left flank. My heart almost stopped with that one.

As you say Coddy, Reina is a young talent who with time and more experience will get much better than what he is and when the defence clicks and more importantly the team clicks and the confidence and self belief is there I'm sure we'll see a different Reina and a different Liverpool.
67-1161385641

Postby Hebz » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:52 pm

CharmlessMan wrote:yet to understand why Reina punches the ball instead of catching the ball. The mind ponders such a thought.

Are other Europeon countries training the goal keepers to punch? Because it's quite common to see that a Europeon goal keeper will choose to punch rather than catch. I really don't understand it, and Reina does it too often, thats a really bad weakness in terms of saving goals.
Hebz

Postby coddy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:09 pm

CharmlessMan wrote:
coddy wrote:I believe defensive continuity is the problem at the minute. last season we pretty much used the same back 4, this season Agger and Aurelio have been thrown in as well. Reina isnt the problem, Continuity is.

That is a big part of the problem and I'm shocked that Rafa decides to rotate the defence as much as he does. The odd change here and there is acceptable, but constant change IMO effects the communication between the defence (including the keeper) and creates problems and leaks, which is evident thus far. However some of Reina's decision was shocking, last night for example for the third Reading goal, why not catch it? I've yet to understand why Reina punches the ball instead of catching the ball. The mind ponders such a thought.

Another point is at times he is rash with his decision making none more evident was against United where he rushed out of the box after some lax defending on the left flank. My heart almost stopped with that one.

As you say Coddy, Reina is a young talent who with time and more experience will get much better than what he is and when the defence clicks and more importantly the team clicks and the confidence and self belief is there I'm sure we'll see a different Reina and a different Liverpool.

exactly. The reason it seems that Pepe is flapping is because he is! at his defense!!!!
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gato_busta » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:25 pm

Hebz wrote:
CharmlessMan wrote:yet to understand why Reina punches the ball instead of catching the ball. The mind ponders such a thought.

Are other Europeon countries training the goal keepers to punch? Because it's quite common to see that a Europeon goal keeper will choose to punch rather than catch. I really don't understand it, and Reina does it too often, thats a really bad weakness in terms of saving goals.

the main problem with catching the ball is the current balls that are being used. balls are frequently changing, becoming lighter and faster (once kicked) therefore, harder to catch. I believe he chooses to punch the ball because it is a quicker way to get the ball away from danger and avoids the problem of trying to catch it and having it slip inside the area where,it would be left in a more dangerous position. Plus, when we signed him that was one of his characteristic traits. He would punch the ball all the way to midfield for the counter attack.
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Postby alessandromagno » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:48 pm

This is Reina's chance to prove himself. He'll play for the forseeable future. If he continues sc@ewing up Rafa will demote him--end of story!
ALESSANDRO
alessandromagno
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion