Gerrard  alonso - Whats your pick?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:13 am

Id like to know your views on who is a more complete player.

Passing ability, tackling, movement, vision, goals, composure etc.

Alonso has great movement, his passing is crisp and often accurate, he always makes himself available for a pass and his off the ball work is admirable. He might not score as many goals as Gerrard, but he more than makes up for it with his vision, passing and the composure which he brings to the side.

Gerrard had a bad season last time. I haven’t seen him in pre season but i hear he has been scoring a lot of goals. I don’t doubt his ability to get goals and run the Midfield. But his passing does go hay vayyya every now and then and IMO he isn’t as level headed as Alonso.

However this season we might see a different Gerrard as he is stable and has signed a contract. We might also see a much improved Alonso who is fully fit after that injury.

What are your views?

Chelsea Forever.
Chelsea forever.

Postby Kid a » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:10 am

I really don't feel like giving an in-depth response or anything. So, I'm just going to attach a name to said feature. :p

Passing ability - Alonso. Insane.

Tackling - Might have to give this one to Gerrard. Mainly, because I am remembering the Champions League final and him defending like a mad man after the score was tied and making some great tackles. 

Movement - Don't really know what you mean by this so much.

Vision - Alonso.

Goals - Gerrard. Easily.

Composure - Alonso.

Well, there you go. A not so detailed response limited only to the questions asked...
Kid a

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:41 am

I'd say that Gerrard is the more complete midfielder.  The fact he can play as a holding midfielder, in a more attacking role, and even on the wing shows that he is more complete.  He has good passing (not great like Alonso), great tackling, energy, aggression, and determination.  He's also a better dribbler and is probably a better athlete too, his strengths are his energy and determination.  He can charge up and down like a mad man all day, lifting the team and crashing on opponenets time and time again before charging back to make important tackles. 

Alonso on the other hand is much more composed.  He doesnt go for hero shots or try to beat the whole opposition team in one run, he plays the ball around better than any player I have ever watched (I never had the privelage of seeing the great Liverpool sides of the 70's and 80's as I wasnt born although I hear that Molby's passing was something else) and his ability to control the tempo of the game is unmatched by any player in England. 

Gerrard is a more complete midfielder, I'd say even more so than Lampard (who tbh I rate as a better midfielder than Gerrard, last seaso anyway) but I think that Alonso is a better midfielder, and we did miss him more than we missed Gerrard.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:00 am

Starbridge42 wrote:I'd say that Gerrard is the more complete midfielder.

Gerrard is a more complete midfielder,
but I think that Alonso is a better midfielder, and we did miss him more than we missed Gerrard.

make up your mind!
Chelsea forever.

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:15 am

its difficult to say who is better, they bring different attributes to the game, so its a little unfair to compare them as players. maybe comparing their obvious skills positively is more appropriate
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:28 am

I wouldnt be able to say who is better myself, starbridges argument is well put but although Gerrard can play in a variety of positions and still shine Alonso is a master at controlling the pace of the game.
Alonso : Passing, the best i have witnessed he sees things and spreads the ball around like nobody else can. Gerrards passing is a bit erratic, he can play some world class pinpoint passes but then try something that doesn't come off and puts us under pressure. One thing i have noticed is that he seems to give it simple alot more when Alonso is in the side, he seems to be realising he has his strengths an Xabi his.
Tackling, Gerrard is really solid in the tackle, and will win most 50-50's, he will put in the tackles that after the match people will remember, due to the verocity of them.
Alonso's tackling was something i at first didnt realise he had to his game. He sits quite deep and breaks up attacks really well and can more than hold his own in that area. The Juve away game after being out so long with a broken ankle, he really got stuck in and that pleased me even more than seeing some of his 60 yard passes.
Positional sense, Alonso hands down, this is a slight criticism of Gerrard but the game he plays he is bound to get caught out positionally every now and again, he is our creative player and if he is not pushing forward we really struggle to open teams up.
I think with the addition of a top drawer right midfielder Steven might be a little bit more reserved and choose the moments to bomb on a bit better.
Shooting, another no contest, Gerrard's shooting has always been decent, but over the last 2 seasons seems to be getting better and better, the amount of strikes that hit the target from outside the area is outstanding, and he is scoring plenty of goals now.
Alonso's goal against Arsenal imo was our best last season, due to the build up and who it was against, and it shows he can hit them given the chance, but as he sits deep alot of the time it wont always come out.
All in all it would be unfair imo to say who is better, but we really should feel lucky to have 2 world class midfielders in our team that would be the envy of every team in Europe.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:59 am

Gerrard more complete! Older, Wiser More experience. Works Harder, Has more of an effect on a game.

However Alonso is as good as Gerrrard was a few years ago, and has a better range of passing which is hard to beat!

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:37 am

Gerrad all the way!!!!!!!!!

ask yourself this........ who would fetch a higher price? ??????

its pretty obvious.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:40 am

if gerrard had the self discipline that alonso has, he'd be the best midfielder on the planet, bar none.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:43 am

stmichael wrote:if gerrard had the self discipline that alonso has, he'd be the best midfielder on the planet, bar none.

:D  :p
Chelsea forever.

Postby Alonso14 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:54 am

Chelsea forever. wrote:
stmichael wrote:if gerrard had the self discipline that alonso has, he'd be the best midfielder on the planet, bar none.

:D  :p

In the world how highly do you rate Lampard, and do you think he is better then Alonso or Gerrard?
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:06 am

I rate Lampard high, very high. IMO he is better than Gerrard.

The thing about Lampard is that he is always improving. Over the past 4 years he has improved each season, each game, with consistency. Last season he was truely amazing and many experts called him the best player in the world in his position. Real Madrid ran a poll asking the fans which player they would want to see as the next galactico - it had many big names, Gerrard and Alonso included. Lampard topped the list.

Anyway .. IMO he is one of the best in the world and is always improving. This season I expect him to be a colossal player in the squad.

Lampard over Gerrard any day for me.

Alonso I would take over Gerrard too. He is very similar to Lampard. The vision, the composure, the movement, the passing, the only thing he lacks (if you may) is goals.

Chelsea Forever.
Chelsea forever.

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:10 am

Chelsea forever. wrote:I rate Lampard high, very high. IMO he is better than Gerrard.

Chelsea Forever.

so there's no bias then??

similar. lampard scores more goals, but gerrard tackles more, and appears to be more tactically aware than lampard. so its swings and roundabouts
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joependo » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:11 am

Lampard over Gerrard any day for me.
Are you a phyco or what,but you are a chelsea supporter so you would say that.But Gerrard is just better than any of your players.
joependo

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:12 am

Gerrard is not more tactically aware then lampard. You are dreaming my friend!
Chelsea forever.

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion