Game review vs boro - Playing like e big 3 with lesser players

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GunGod » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:32 pm

Liverpool vs Boro 13/08/05

Match Review:

4-5-1 is not the way to go for the current Liverpool team. That's what should be concluded from this latest game. While Chelsea plays 4-5-1, they have brilliant wingers who could not only cross the ball decently, they can also beat opposition defenders with pace and trickery. Ditto for Man U and Arsenal (SWP, Duff, Robben, Cole, Ronaldo, Giggs, Pires, Reyes and even Park Ji Song). If you never noticed it, all of these aforementioned players could step right into the Liverpool 1st team.

On our side we have only Zenden, whom I never rated highly ever since he played for Chelsea. I noticed that he always attempted to cross the ball even when it was obviously not possible, hence most of the time he smacks the ball into the opposition defender blocking his attempt to cross. Nevertheless, he can't beat defenders with pace nor trickery. If he can't do so against an opposition which he should know inside out after spending the entire past season with them, who can he beat?

You might have noticed that I said we have only Zenden on the wings. Yes. Kewell too. But he is in the amortization process and slowly written off Liverpool's books. And I am embarrassed to even mention Gracia as a winger (used in the first half) as that's not his natural position in any sense. And Cisse! I can't believe he's used as a winger (direct swap of Garcia the right winger for Cisse the right winger in the 2nd half!! :Oo:)! That really exposed how thin the squad is at the moment. Makes me feel that we should have paid $2m to Real for Figo. Figo would probably have given us 10 assists and 8 goals in every season he played. Had he given us just one accurate cross today to nando and we would have 3 points. And how much more of these 3 points would probably come in this fashion. That would make $2m seem like peanuts.

In essence, Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal can afford to play 4-5-1 because they are almost assured of decent service to the lone man in front. Not to mention that their wingers cut into the penalty box at ease most of the times. On our side, Cisse, Zenden and Garcia did not try to take the ball into the penalty box but insisted on spraying hopeful crosses into the box. After nando's been taken off, just who is there for them to target?  And Baros, given his height isn't really ideal for this role (btw, Cisse has gone one step further in showing us that he probably isn't that good in the air after failing to connect with two good half-chances).

Rafa persisted on playing the cross-ball game even when Baros is the lone striker in front.. seems like with the current squad, Rafa does not know how to be flexible and change the game plan according to how the game proceeds.

Set-pieces

We've got about 6-8 freekicks either on the right or left area just outside the penalty box ( that's a hell lot by any standards) and we couldn't make any of them count! Really suggests that the training isn't working. Either that or Maclaren's a better set-piece master (at least at defending) than Rafa.

Boro were not at their best for this game. But we failed to kill them off despite having 1 man advantage for the last 15 mins. And to think that Boro conceded 14 goals last season in the last 15 mins. We should have made it count. But I don't blame the boys, they tried and a draw and the riverside isn't that bad anyway.

One last point. I was pretty dissapointed with Boro in the last minute. 93rd minute and last min of extra time they got a corner. And what did they do? They keep the ball at the corner. By all counts Boro, you are an Uefa Cup team, not some relegation material. Can't you show some spirit and be more ambitious? Really dissapointed.

Player ratings:

Reina - 6

His first EPL game, let's give him some benefit of the doubt. But he's indeed looking jittery. Failed to collect the ball after coming out on a couple of occasions.

Carragher - 7

Nothing much to do for the defenders in this game. A couple of mis-hit passes straight to the opposition by cara. Other than that, a typical Carragher performance.

Hypia - 7

Nothing extraordinary. Pleased to find out that he can still at least out-pace Mendieta (who isn't that young either anyway)as they ran after a loose ball. :laugh:

Finnan - 6

Should have provided more width and runs on the right wing. That is part of what would have made Rafa's game plan worked. Defensively adequate performance but lacking in offensive probes on the right.

Warnock - 7

Better than expected. Playing like an experienced player. Though he can be similarly faulted like Finnan for not going forward more often, for him to be able to play at this level despite a relative lack of experience deserves some credit.

Sissoko - 6

A good pass into the box for Nando was the highlight of his game. But he doesn't look anything more than what hamann (or even Igor) could give us. But it's his first game afterall.

Alonso - 7

Sprayed accurate passes all over the field as usual. Decent performance but nothing special. Mis-hit a volley (not an easy one though) into the stands late in the game.

Gerrard - 8

By far the best performer of our side today. I wouldn't blame him for his many misses because except for the one which Nando nodded into his path which he really should have buried, the rest of his misses were at best half chances. Either the goalkeeper/defender was coming straight at him or the angle is too acute. Full of running throughout the game.

Garcia - 5

Couldn't cross the ball, couldn't get pass the opposition. Largely pedestrain in the game. But he's playing out of position afterall.

Zenden - 6

Didn't provide us with the good crosses that we bought him for even though he did try. Wasn't able to get pass the opposition. In fact, he didn't even try to, was eager to get rid of the ball as soon as he got it. Maybe the fans' booing got to him.

Nando - 7

A cleverly nodded pass onto Gerrard's path was the highlight of his game. However, he hasn't got the pace to provide us with proper penetration if he plays as a lone striker. He thrives on good passes and can sink half-chances better than most, but he needs those good passes in the first place. Couldn't get pass defenders on his own. Especially when he's the only striker and all the defenders are on his back.

Subs

Cisse - 6

He is not a right winger Rafa! Though he did better than Garcia. Couldn't connect with the ball with his head on 2 occasions.

Baros - 7

Probably the only player who can keep the ball at his feet for more than 5 touches. Looked lively. But same aimless playing style.

In the end, judging from this game (though I accept that its indeed still way too early to conclude anything), it looks like we have to settle for a solid 4th this season. By solid I mean we are not going to be 37 points away from Chelsea again. But we're still going to be 4th.
GunGod

Postby stoney » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:40 pm

Seeing as this is your 1st post it explains a lot. :no  :no  :no
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:43 pm

mate, ur  having a giraffe. we outplayed them all over the pitch.

what sums it up is:

boroughs first game at home, 93rd minute corner, they STILL play for the corner flag and the point.

They fouled and cheated there way to a point. we looked solid and stevie g played one of his best premiership games for us that ive seen.

settle for 4th indeed!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:46 pm

I don't think our entire squad is thin because we're lacking a natural right winger, it makes us thin in that position but not the entire squad.

4-5-1 can work for us if the right players are used. We've shown that it's possible, we've done it in the past but Morientes does not play well on his own as he does when has a striker alongside him.

There is still time for Benitez to sign a centerback and a right winger, which he's been looking for in the past month.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby dawson99 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:48 pm

cisse looked good on the right wing tho, but we needed a tall lad in there toscore off the crosses he was gliding in
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:58 pm

3 points

I do hope Cisse on the right wing is a very short term solution, apart from speed he just did not look comfortable out there, Rafa must have something up his sleeve there and very soon, 14 million pound of brute speed and pace up front wasted on the wing  :no

Zenden, I do not rate highly, does not look brilliant on the ball, does not seem to have the ability and courage to take on players.

On a positive note, we created a hatful of chances and on another day, wer would have won 3 maybe 4 - 0

Keep up the good work boys    :buttrock
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby looprevil » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:58 pm

I would say the 4-5-1 worked well enough.  We did hold them to very very few chances, and I think we really controlled the midfield. 
As for the winger situation, sure Figo would look good however there are others who we could still sign.  I hope we can find one cause I agree playing Cisse or Garcia there is not a good long term solution. 

As for your player ratings, I might have given Sissoko a higher mark.
looprevil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:00 pm

I thought Sissoko (for a guy aged 20) was exceptional, definetely looks the part and well suited for the prem.
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby GunGod » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:20 pm

looprevil wrote:As for your player ratings, I might have given Sissoko a higher mark.

You're probably right. Thanks for pointing that out. Shouldn't be so harsh to the lad as its his first EPL game afterall.

Cisse is another bordering between 6-7. Had his crosses been more accurate he probably would have gotten a higher rating. But most of his crosses were not really threatening so he's got a 6 for his efforts.
GunGod

Postby Luis Garcia » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:30 am

maximus wrote:I thought Sissoko (for a guy aged 20) was exceptional, definetely looks the part and well suited for the prem.

Will be a key player for LFC, his tackling is awesome. shem he didnt catch Parlour with that kick!

:D  :D
Luis Garcia

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:05 am

Luis Garcia wrote:
maximus wrote:I thought Sissoko (for a guy aged 20) was exceptional, definetely looks the part and well suited for the prem.

Will be a key player for LFC, his tackling is awesome. shem he didnt catch Parlour with that kick!

:D  :D

he played really well today but i think putting him in the team creates more questions than answers and takes something away from us offensively. by playing three in the middle you only play one up top and that leaves us light in my opinion. i prefer us to play 4,4,2 and there`s no way i`d drop alonso or gerrard because i believe our centre mid pairing with these two is the only area where i think we are stronger than chelsea, arsenal and united. any of those 3 would swap their centre mid pairing for ours.
sissoko must have ran a half marathon today but i`m afraid in my opinion he doesnt do enough with the ball yet to oust either gerrard or alonso. maybe the answer is if we learn to play more effectively with one up front. at the moment though our lone striker was crying out for some backup and in my opinion we needed a extra forward more than we needed an extra midfielder..

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby looprevil » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:25 am

I agree our lone striker does need more help, in some games a 4-4-2 might work better against certain teams although against the better ones controlling the midfield seems to put you in a better position for winning so playing a 4-5-1 could be beneficial
looprevil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:31 am

I enjoyed the game, we still havent got the new system but give it time.

Sissoko was a little better than people are making out.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bedlovedays » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:38 am

We have Gonzales on the way, let's see how well he does.  He is one of the best Chilean players.
bedlovedays

Postby destro » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:06 am

nando is to slow to be a lone striker yes he can hold the ball up sometimes, but he doesnt have the pace to spin off for a return ball , that is providing someone has even bothered to get up there to help him? if we are going to persist in this :censored: 4-5-1 formation play cisse right mid for now as he was  the only one on sat who beat players to cross. oh and tell reina its ok to catch the ball sometimes
destro

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion