Game review vs boro - Playing like e big 3 with lesser players

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:36 pm

Apart from the result yesterday, I'm happy enough with our first league game.  We passed the ball well, kept possession, controlled the game for large chunks, didn't look threatened defensively and created plenty of chances.  Boro hacked their way to a draw and McLaren admitted as much.  How Parlour stayed on the pitch I'll never know, he's a dirty c**t.

We have also learned a few things from this game.  Morientes is not mobile enough to play as a lone striker, Warnock is good enough to be first choice left back, Sissoko will be a huge player for us and we do need a right winger.

On another day we'd have won easily, but it was a good away performance, 4-5-1 worked very well despite what others have said and that's a game we probably would have lost last season.  I think we're in for a much better season in the league
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:31 pm

We played well enuf for 3 points just unlucky.A gd performance tho for a first game of the season
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:45 pm

i know it's the first game but if we seriously have any aspirations of breaking into the top three this season then we have to win games such as yesterday, especially when you consider how dominant we were.

i was extremely optimistic going into the game and then what do i hear when they announced the teams? morientes upfront on his own in a 4-5-1 system.

rafa, i'm your biggest fan but stevie wonder could see that morientes can't play upfront in a 4-5-1. the only guy cut out for this is crouch and he's injured. as for cisse, i think it's blatantly obvious that rafa is not his biggest fan because the guy's been on fire recently but still didn't start.

as peewee said in another thread, in the dog eat dog world of the premiership these days, more and more teams are using the 4-5-1 system in an attempt "not to lose" rather than going out to win.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:53 pm

The fact that we dominated the game so much yesterday and just could not get the ball in the net only strengthens the arguement that we should do all we can to bring Owen home!Lets not forget hes more than a just a great finisher!
He can run with the ball with ten times more purpose and effect than Baros!I think we'll regret it if we let him slip through our fingers,Big time! :nod
66-1120597113

Postby stoney » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:27 pm

Although I am :censored: with the way Owen left us last year, I think we do actually need him. We gotta be honest here stevie g sometimes looks like the only player who wants to stick the ball in the back of the net and there are many many times when he looks like our only player capable of scoring. This has got to change. We therefore we need to get owen back to not only take away some of the pressure on stevie to get the goals but to also provide more of a threat on the oppositions goal. We cannot rely on a centre mid to provide the majority of the threat all the time.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:37 pm

stoney wrote:Although I am :censored: with the way Owen left us last year, I think we do actually need him. We gotta be honest here stevie g sometimes looks like the only player who wants to stick the ball in the back of the net and there are many many times when he looks like our only player capable of scoring. This has got to change. We therefore we need to get owen back to not only take away some of the pressure on stevie to get the goals but to also provide more of a threat on the oppositions goal. We cannot rely on a centre mid to provide the majority of the threat all the time.

Every true Pool fan was annoyed last year when Owen went mate!!
But realistically he has been one of our best players in recent times and gave so much to the club! I personally dont blame him for leaving as things were getting pretty grim under Houllier and his stye didnt suit Michael. How was Owen to know things were gonna get better under Raffa??Its every footballers dream to play and win with the biggest and best!! I reckon Owens trip to Madrid just might have taught him a lesson.
FACT  Create chances Owen scores i cant make it any more simple than that!!
66-1120597113

Postby stoney » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:43 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:
stoney wrote:Although I am :censored: with the way Owen left us last year, I think we do actually need him. We gotta be honest here stevie g sometimes looks like the only player who wants to stick the ball in the back of the net and there are many many times when he looks like our only player capable of scoring. This has got to change. We therefore we need to get owen back to not only take away some of the pressure on stevie to get the goals but to also provide more of a threat on the oppositions goal. We cannot rely on a centre mid to provide the majority of the threat all the time.

Every true Pool fan was annoyed last year when Owen went mate!!
But realistically he has been one of our best players in recent times and gave so much to the club! I personally dont blame him for leaving as things were getting pretty grim under Houllier and his stye didnt suit Michael. How was Owen to know things were gonna get better under Raffa??Its every footballers dream to play and win with the biggest and best!! I reckon Owens trip to Madrid just might have taught him a lesson.
FACT  Create chances Owen scores i cant make it any more simple than that!!

yeh your all lpool fans were :censored: when owen left ad that is the owen negative i said about him. I said that we SHOULD bring him back ???
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:48 pm

And he will come back on a loan i reckon!! And we will buy him in a years time!
The biggest problem here being,he'll come back,play outta his skin,score about 20 odd goals and then Madrid will want a few extra million for him!!
66-1120597113

Postby stoney » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:58 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:And he will come back on a loan i reckon!! And we will buy him in a years time!
The biggest problem here being,he'll come back,play outta his skin,score about 20 odd goals and then Madrid will want a few extra million for him!!

The thing is, you know that madrid didnt even want him in the 1st place. The only reason why they actually signed him is because time was running out in the transfer window for them to sign their annual ''galactico'' as due to their stupid president he has to every year and they couldnt find anyone else therefore they had to quickly get owen. (Notice besides Owen they didnt sign any big attacking star last year). Hence why he weren't starting any matches at the beggining for them and why they want to get rid of him even though they couldnt have asked for more of him from the amount of playing time hes had. So if it weren't for madrids stupid policy and politics we would still have owen now. :angry:
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dosserboy » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:42 pm

GunGod wrote:Liverpool vs Boro 13/08/05

Match Review:

4-5-1 is not the way to go for the current Liverpool team. 

Of course 4-5-1 worked and it will carry on working on away days. It allows Gerrard to bomb forward and join the striker ie Nando's flick down and Gerrard blazing it JUST over the bar. Carragher said it was Gerrards best postion, just behind the lone striker, any other day it would have been 2 or 3 nil.
dosserboy

Postby Woollyback » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:14 pm

The bottom line is that a point at Boro is a fairly decent result. OK, watching the way the game unfolded only a blind man would say we didn't deserve the 3 points but make no mistake, Boro are a good side with class (Mendieta, Hasselbaink), effectiveness (Downing, Yakubu) and experience (Parlour, Southgate, Ehiogu)

To play a side of their calibre away from home and come away with a point is a good result, full stop.

And whilst it was disappointing to see us dominate for such long periods and not win, you'd have to say it is encouraging that we DID dominate a side like Boro

I can't find anything to moan about from yesterday's game, other than perhaps the way Parlour managed to stay on the field. If this was a taster of what's to come this season then I'll be delighted  :nod
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:24 pm

Woollyback wrote:I can't find anything to moan about from yesterday's game, other than perhaps the way Parlour managed to stay on the field.

damn right.

mind you if he got sent off and ended up getting fined, surely his ex-missus would have to pay half of it. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:30 pm

stmichael wrote:
Woollyback wrote:I can't find anything to moan about from yesterday's game, other than perhaps the way Parlour managed to stay on the field.

damn right.

mind you if he got sent off and ended up getting fined, surely his ex-missus would have to pay half of it. :D

:laugh:  :laugh:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:37 pm

stmichael wrote:i know it's the first game but if we seriously have any aspirations of breaking into the top three this season then we have to win games such as yesterday, especially when you consider how dominant we were.

i was extremely optimistic going into the game and then what do i hear when they announced the teams? morientes upfront on his own in a 4-5-1 system.

rafa, i'm your biggest fan but stevie wonder could see that morientes can't play upfront in a 4-5-1. the only guy cut out for this is crouch and he's injured. as for cisse, i think it's blatantly obvious that rafa is not his biggest fan because the guy's been on fire recently but still didn't start.

as peewee said in another thread, in the dog eat dog world of the premiership these days, more and more teams are using the 4-5-1 system in an attempt "not to lose" rather than going out to win.

.. I think we need to recoignise that the Boss may well be exorcising some away day ghosts. It' s a state of mind, and the first half display was solid but also instilled belief. Second half was good football, just no goals. Lets see what happens but that performance has instilled me with so much belief that we will do well this season. Especially after seeing Chelski's average performance today, the result aside, it's gonna be a tight league campaign.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:42 pm

I hope Wigans performance today gives the lesser premiership teams the confidence to have a go at them.Too many times last season teams were beaten before they went out on the pitch.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion