First visit to anfield and your abiding memories. - Share some of your memories

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:23 pm

Liverpool vs Oldham 10th April 1993….we won 1-0 and Rush got the goal with a superb shot just inside the box at the Kop end.  Was a great, great day because after the match I met a few players as they came out and then, just as I was about to head off home with my brother, Bob Paisley walks out!  He comes out and some big chap (security I imagine) who says to everyone “no autographs”….i follow them round to his car where (in a quivering voice I say) “just 1 autograph please Bob”….to which he signs my programme and gives me a pat on the head as he gets into his car.

A day I’ll never forget
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Red Baron » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:48 pm

priv wrote:First Visit to anfield and your abiding Memories.

I have just taken my son to anfield for his first visit, Liverpool V's Fulham. 

Being an Out Of Towner from Cheltenham(Went to the races Tuesday) I have only managed to get him there at the tender age of 10.

We arrived at the ground at 4:30pm, managed a tour around the Museum (Old Big Ears out on a charity bash a bit dissapointing), Visit to the Shop.  Photograh at Shankley's statue.

A poigniant visit to the Hillsborough Memorial, explaining to him what happened that day, what I was doing at the time and that the youngest supporter to die was the same age as him. (Brings the whole tragedy into perspective).

Off to a cafe next to the ground (can't remember the name) for Chicken Mushroom Pie Chips, Peas and Gravy (quite an eye opener for a young lad from cheltenham),  excellent food and lovely ladies to serve us.

Then waiting for both coaches to arrive, he was absolutely amazed at the size and number of police horses also the volume
and smell of the horse :censored: they left!.  I had to hold him on my shoulders so he could see the Liverpool players leaving the coach, he managed to see most players but definately remembers Crouch almost smashing his head on the ceiling as he went through the players entrance.

And finally into the ground when the turnstiles opened. 

We sat in the Centenary Stand, Lower Tier, Block KG Row 13 Seats 21/22.

Then over the next hour we get to see the ground fill up from empty, go from darkness into light as the floodlights turn on, absolute magical time. Watching the players warm up, having to explain to him who the hell Dave Besant was (Definately getting Old).

Now for the special part, scarves (although usefull because of the extreme cold on wednesday!!) especially brought to stand and sing to 'You'll Never Walk alone' .  Sang his heart out!! (Not a bad effort for a self concious 10 (going on 16) year old).

So, how lucky is he on his first visit to watch Robbie Fowler scoring for the first time since his return and charging straight at us sat in the stand!

Then to witness a 5-1 win (hasn't happened to often lately) at anfield, does it get any better for your first visit as a youngster.

So, what will his abiding first memory of anfield be, the singing of You'll Never Walk Alone, a 5-1 stuffing of Fulham, he visit to the Hillsborough Memorial.

In years to come when I ask him, I think it will be of Robbie charging at us after his goal, what a moment!

(Unless in my nightmares, he remembers that imperious performance of the left winger come part time left back Djimi Traore, aaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhh!!!!)

So come on lads (and lasses) tell us about your first time at anfield.

Nice post mate.Your son is a lucky lad.Dont be suprised if he says the pie and chips was the highlight of his day. :laugh:
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:15 pm

Liverpool 5 West Ham 0

was my first game, I was only young, forget how old to be exact, but being 14, I must have been about 4 at the time. I sat in the upper centenary with my dad and watched on as Karlheinz Riedle scored a hatrick. I am now a season ticket holder and go to every home game we play. I have been on all trips to Cardiff (except the FA Cup Final in 2001) but couldn't go to Istanbul as I would have been kicked out of school  :glare:  .
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lawrenson_sarah » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:45 pm

I was really young my first game

I dont remember it really..

Just being overwelmed by the big stadium
www.myspace.com/lawrenson_sarah

www.sarahlawrenson.piczo.com

He's scouse, he's sound. He'll T-w-a-t you with a pound Carragher - Carragher
lawrenson_sarah
LFC Super Member

Postby Effes » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:58 pm

Late 70's cant remember anything, it could have been QPR 0-0 or 1-0; about 8 or 9yrs old.
Remember the smell of the turf when going up the steps to the seats, and heard people saying "played" and thought it was weird.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Morth » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:08 pm

So at 8 or 9 years old you were already p1ssed on matchday? :;):
Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?
I'm half way through my FISH burger and I realize, Oh my God...
I could be eating a slow learner!

http://www.kopites.net  -  Regularly updated LFC clips and pictures.
Morth

Postby brenitez » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:09 pm

nice post...

my first game was vs spartak moscow (4.11.1992). we lost 2-0 and if i remember rightly mike marsh was sent off near the end. not the best game i have seen but my biggest memory was standing at the front of the kop totally in awe of the size and noise of the stadium. we went out of europe that night 6-2 on aggregate. fond memories also of what has to be the worst chips and curry ever! (bought from a takeaway next to lime street station if i recall rightly). my next visit in january 1999 was much better, a 7-1 thrashing of southampton with a hat trick from robbie and 1 each for CARRAGHER and MATTEO!!!

back to the fulham game though...... i too took my son (robbie gerrard) to his first match on the day after his 5th birthday. we set off from blackpool around 4.30 he had no idea where we were going for his birthday surprise, but when he was told en route his eyes lit up like all his christmases had come at once. we sat in the anfield road lower, block 126 row 33 seat 164 and 165. not the best view for robbie but with a little pickup from me he managed to see most of the action! first goal for god on my sons first game cant ask for more although he more pleased that warnock scored his first!

my 7 year old brother came to the game too and i can safely say that they both have lfc blood running through their veins and will be returning very soon
brenitez

Postby Ciggy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:12 pm

When I was 6 cant remember who against, and I hated it, men peeing and swearing I used to get dragged there once twice a week because me mum bribed me with a pie and a cup of Bovril  :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:26 pm

I think it was 1981 and we played QPR my uncle took me (it was supposed to be my dad but he had just died in the august) i was 11 and don't remember much about it .The only thing i remember vividly as i sat in the main stand, was when the KOP started singing , first they sung to themselves then to the Kemlin then the annie rd then the main stand and then the away supporters , and we all sang back, absolutly mind blowing.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:02 pm

I was six years old, it must have been sometime in 1989 or 1990 and it was against Aston Villa. My dad was determined that I was going to be a Liverpool fan and after my uncle took me to see Spurs vs QPR I guess he figured that I needed my first taste of Anfield. I remember a long train journey, a bit of a walk and this noise started getting closer, more people wearing red, like my dad, were walking with us and talking in this funny accent. The smell of beer and burgers, I think there were some clanking turnstiles and then some tunnels. The noise was booming and echoing and I remember gripping my Dad's hand so tight. I remember walking out and into Anfield and it was so different from White Hart Lane. I remember looking into the deep stand at the end of the ground and seeing a sea of red singing some song that I couldn't make out. I don't think I paid much attention to the match, I was just dumnstruck. I was hooked. I can't get to Anfield that often, but when I do, it all comes back to that first time, there's nothing like it. It probably wasn't as dramatic as that, and time changes memories so much, but to me it was simply amazing.

Great thread.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gary106 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:44 pm

mid 90s ish against 'mypa 47' in the uefa cup qualifiers or sumat i think. cant even remember the score and was sitting in anfield road
gary106

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:22 pm

brenitez wrote:i too took my son (robbie gerrard) to his first match on the day after his 5th birthday.

I've got a mate Robbie Gerrard, he's a bitter Bluenose.
jonnymac1979

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:23 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:
brenitez wrote:i too took my son (robbie gerrard) to his first match on the day after his 5th birthday.

I've got a mate Robbie Gerrard, he's a bitter Bluenose.

He's also a barman, who serves me lager.
jonnymac1979

Postby 65-1140560321 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:25 pm

priv wrote:We sat in the Centenary Stand, Lower Tier, Block KG Row 13 Seats 21/22.

What you doing sitting in my seat boy?

I sit there.

Its just not on.

:p
65-1140560321

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:27 pm

You lie.
jonnymac1979

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion