Farewell to the dude

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Mon May 07, 2007 7:12 pm

on saturday if he plays Jerzy Dudek the hero of istanbul will play his last game in a Liverpool shirt.

It is with a heavy heart that Jerzy Dudek will leave the club in the summer, and the Pole has a little bit of unfinished business before he departs.

"I have 40,000 thank-yous to say, so it will take me a while," the 34-year-old told LFC Magazine.

"It would be nice to play in the last game against Charlton. I would get to walk around the pitch and take it all in. I could hear the fans singing again. I don't know if it will be possible, it's up to the manager when he picks the team.

"I just want to say goodbye. If it is not possible then I will be the last person left on the pitch after the Charlton game."

Dudek's decision to leave is a result not of any personal differences, nor any ill-feeling towards the club.

In fact, he insists he would have been happy to remain at Melwood for the rest of his career had he been selected to represent Poland in last year's World Cup.

He explains: "I was watching TV at home, just with Sky Sports News on in the background while I was doing some things and waiting for something else to come on – as you do.

"I actually saw a breaking news story come along the bottom of the screen: Jerzy Dudek is not going to the World Cup. I froze.

"At first I thought it was a joke from the Polish manager, but then I saw that our star striker was not going, and two other senior players were already out. It wasn't a joke.

"Something changed in me after that snub. From being happy to play here and press Pepe, I knew I had to go somewhere to play every week."

It is a sign of Dudek's loyalty to the club that he postponed his decision to leave at the request of Rafa Benitez.

"The needs of the team were more important to me than my own needs. Scott Carson was going to Charlton and the manager could not get any cover, so I stayed.

"Now I am going this summer. I am out of contract and I need to play football. I am still hungry to play and put the disappointment of the World Cup behind me.

"I know I will not move somewhere and find a nicer club than Liverpool. I love this city and love this club. If I had gone to the World Cup then I would have stayed here forever. I told Rafa that too. I would have done everything I wanted to do in my career.

"I will not play with better players or make more friends than I have here. Wherever I go from here will be a definite step down in my career."

So, what's next for one of our heroes of 2005? Well, one thing's for sure: he won't ever be coming back to Anfield as an opposition keeper.

He said: "I just can't imagine walking into Anfield on matchday, walking out of the tunnel and going down to the Kop end – and then hoping to see Liverpool lose.

"This club has been my life for five years. I have become much more than an employee – I am a fan.

"I don't know how I will feel when I walk out of this place for the last time, but I imagine it will be very emotional and I can see tears in my eyes. I am not looking forward to it at all."

it cant have been easy for the guy and i think some of the things that were supposed to have been said where probably blown out of all proportion, lets forget about the performances this season and give him a heroes send-off.

good luck Dude
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon May 07, 2007 7:47 pm

It'll never be forgotten the heroics that he put in back in Istanbul. I think it'll still be along time before any of us forget that point blank save from Shevchenko in the dying moments of normal time; or the wobbly legs on the goal line during the pens before denying Shevchenko to hand us the 5th European Cup. However grateful we can be to him for those moments there have been some undoubtedly very poor performances from him this season and I feel they have unfortunately tarnished his memory. Eventhough Rafa asked him to stay - and he should be comended for showing loyalty - I believe he would have been much better off leaving earlier on.

Maybe not a legend but certainly he'll leave us with some happy memories.
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Mon May 07, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Mon May 07, 2007 7:53 pm

Wishing him all the best for his footballing future - a true gent, loyal servant to the club and well that heroic performance on THAT NIGHT - THAT DOUBLE save from Shevchenko and of course the wobbles on the goal line; Thanks Jerzy a true Liverpool hero in the true sense of the word ! :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Mon May 07, 2007 8:12 pm

One of our better keeper of recent times, imo. Seems like a really nice fella too. Of course no one will ever forget his antics in goal from the pens in Istanbul, but for me his most memorable save was his "miracle save" from Shevshenko. It's still a mystery to me how he saved that, and how the shot didn't break his wrist. A LFC legend for that one match alone!
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 07, 2007 9:10 pm

yeah and we tend to forget after his first season here he was getting touted as the best keeper in the league.
his drastic loss of confidence all seemed to start when he had that horrendous game against united and forlan in particular, what made it worse was that forlan couldnt buy a goal at the time.
he never really recovered his early form from that moment but even so he was still better than the likes of westerveld and kirkland etc.
istanbul was incredible and a real rollercoaster ride for jerzy, he spilt some easy shots but saved some crackers like that free kick early in the second half and of course the double save from schevchenko which is as much a part of football legend and lore as banks save against pele and montgomerys performance between the sticks against leeds in the 73 cup final.
good luck to the fella in the future and thanks for the memories, istanbul will never be forgotten as long as people kick a ball.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon May 07, 2007 11:13 pm

Nothing but applause from me for the guy.

It didn't pan out the way it should've after that great first season, but once he leaves, you bet your b*llocks that the guy is good for a drink in any red pub for the rest of his life. In 50 years time no-one will give a f*ck about a goal he gifted to a Uruguayan donkey, but - no question - they'll still be talking about how he won us the European Cup.

Top man, and I hope he gets his World Cup wish. :)
ivor_the_injun

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue May 08, 2007 12:47 am

Yeah, let him play on Saturday. It's only Charlton after all.

Best of luck Dudek.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue May 08, 2007 2:44 am

Best of luck, Jerzy. You have always tried your best, and although not always rosy, you've given us some f*cking good times.

Walk on, friend. :)

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue May 08, 2007 2:48 am

good keeper, nice guy, and has something every other keeper in the premier league doesnt have, a champions lague winners medal, and its a medal which he well deserved.

good luck wherever you go
112-1077774096

Postby babu » Tue May 08, 2007 3:00 am

It had to happen sooner or later. Its funny, coz i never wanted to see him in goal for another competitive match, but now that he is leaving i feel a little sad. Much like when Smicer said goodbye.

Good Luck Jerzy, your heroics in Istanbul will never be forgotten. 

:bowdown  :buttrock
Last edited by babu on Tue May 08, 2007 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Tue May 08, 2007 3:47 am

He is a classy guy I must say. Also a Kop Hero at that and I will remember the night 3 years ago forever. Just wish the lad good luck and hope he can find a nice club and play regular football. I guess I just want to say thank you for his loyalty and service. :)
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue May 08, 2007 3:50 am

Thanks for the memory ( esp. the one in Istanbul ) .... Good luck and take care !!
LiverpoolMadman

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 08, 2007 4:52 pm

peewee wrote:good keeper, nice guy, and has something every other keeper in the premier league doesnt have, a champions lague winners medal, and its a medal which he well deserved.

i dont want to be pedantic mate but i`ve got a feeling van der saar won it with ajax when the likes of overmars, kluivert, seedorf and the de boer twins were playing in the mid 90`s.
not a 100% though.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue May 08, 2007 4:57 pm

peewee wrote:good keeper, nice guy, and has something every other keeper in the premier league doesnt have, a champions lague winners medal, and its a medal which he well deserved.

Sorry mate, hate to be right all the time.  Edwin Van Der Sar with Ajax 1995.  :blush:

Good luck Jerzy, thanks for Istanbul and Cardiff 2003.
jonnymac1979

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue May 08, 2007 4:57 pm

yeah, thanks for the memories but DO NOT play him against charlton. We need a win.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion