Farewell gerard - Thank you and goodbye to a decent man

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ROBtheRED » Tue May 25, 2004 8:41 pm

Shocked, but not entirely surprised! ! I thought most of the anti-Houllier vultures would have been humble enough to pass on their best wishes now they have got what they wanted but i guess that was too much to ask.
I've always thought of Liverpool FC fans as the most knowledgable and decent minded people in the game, but a few of you couldn't even be gracious to recognise the positive moments under Houllier's reign. The idea of this thread was to acknowledge what he attempted to do for the club - We all know he failed in his ultimate goal of bringing the championship back to anfield, so give the guy a break.   

Peewee, John Bull and GreenRed you are either not true fans OR you think our club has a god-given right to win the league every year. . .did you not enjoy cardiff in 2001? did you not enjoy Dortmund? beating the mancs in a cup final? getting to the champions league quarter final? . . . i suppose you will reply and say we were LUCKY? ? ?

I DIDN'T WANT MILLS & BOON, JUST A LITTLE BIT OF RESPECT.
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue May 25, 2004 8:55 pm

I'm going to pin this thread for a while because I feel that Gerard Houllier's contribution to Liverpool FC needs to be acknowledged.

Don't get me wrong, I was a severe critic of Houllier last season, but I always confined my criticism to Houllier's mistakes since the summer of 2002 and I never made personal attacks on the man who I believe is a decent guy who tried his best but ultimately failed.

I think it was time for Liverpool and Houllier to part ways, and while the last 18 months were painful, I hope Houllier will be remembered more for his success than his failures.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue May 25, 2004 9:15 pm

I wish him all the best, he modenised Liverpool fc on all levels and brought discipline to the club. Good Look Gerard
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Tue May 25, 2004 9:23 pm

I'm going to be totally honest here and say I'm delight Houllier is not manager anymore.  Yet I'm sad because I think Liverpool have lost a great asset. If Houllier had have came to Liverpool with a great manager in post and had been appointed as director of football he may well have been an extremely affective figure.  As it was he actually under acheived.  Houllier is a teacher, that means his mind set is developmental, that was his role in the French national setup and he exceled.  I hope he takes up a similar role sadly it could never be for Liverpool.  Houllier give us back some pride in 2001, the problem was he reached the heady heights and did'nt know how to maintain it.  The standards slipped not because he wanted them to, not because he was an idiot, and not because he lacked ambition.  GH lacked one thing the most important thing, empathy with his players.  The top men (with the exception of Wenger whose a phd Physcologist)  know exactly whats going on in the minds of there players, they know the fears and concerns, the superstitions, the nerves and the worries about the family, the self doubt and inner conflict, all these things they know instinctively.  Fergie knows when a players lying to him, when they're late for training or don't show to a community event.  O'Neill knows what its like being dropped in a European cup final, Shankly knew when a player was'nt at it because he was affraid or worried about a barracking from the fans.  Gerrard Houllier done his best and he developed LFC without doubt but we need someone who has been out there at three o'Clock on a Saturday with 45,000 dickeheads like me calling him a donkey.  We think we know what that means but you know what we bloody well don't and most us never will.

Thankyou Gerrard Houllier for the Pride of 2001.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Tue May 25, 2004 9:28 pm

big al wrote:I'm going to be totally honest here and say I'm delight Houllier is not manager anymore.  Yet I'm sad because I think Liverpool have lost a great asset. If Houllier had have came to Liverpool with a great manager in post and had been appointed as director of football he may well have been an extremely affective figure.  As it was he actually under acheived.  Houllier is a teacher, that means his mind set is developmental, that was his role in the French national setup and he exceled.  I hope he takes up a similar role sadly it could never be for Liverpool.  Houllier give us back some pride in 2001, the problem was he reached the heady heights and did'nt know how to maintain it.  The standards slipped not because he wanted them to, not because he was an idiot, and not because he lacked ambition.  GH lacked one thing the most important thing, empathy with his players.  The top men (with the exception of Wenger whose a phd Physcologist)  know exactly whats going on in the minds of there players, they know the fears and concerns, the superstitions, the nerves and the worries about the family, the self doubt and inner conflict, all these things they know instinctively.  Fergie knows when a players lying to him, when they're late for training or don't show to a community event.  O'Neill knows what its like being dropped in a European cup final, Shankly knew when a player was'nt at it because he was affraid or worried about a barracking from the fans.  Gerrard Houllier done his best and he developed LFC without doubt but we need someone who has been out there at three o'Clock on a Saturday with 45,000 dickeheads like me calling him a donkey.  We think we know what that means but you know what we bloody well don't and most us never will.

Thankyou Gerrard Houllier for the Pride of 2001.

top post that.

i agree that the fans expectations were raised so high after 2001's treble and finishing 2nd in 2002 with a points total that would have won the premiership in 5 of the last 9 seasons.

when you are on the up as we were then, that is the time to strengthen. unfortunately, gambles were made which didn't pay off and the rest is history.

:(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stapo1000 » Tue May 25, 2004 10:29 pm

very good post rob!!
best of look in the future to gerrard houllier, a man who on taking over the liverpool job, dug us out of the hole that we found ourselves in. unfortunately, he never acheived his real goal of a premiereship title but still never failed to add a few trophies to the club's tally. he definitelty improved the standard of the team on arrival anh hopefully he'll be remembered for what he has acheived for liverpool:
- FA cup
- 2 league cups
- UEFA cup
- 2nd in the league
- making steven gerrard liverpool captain
- revamping melwood training ground
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Tue May 25, 2004 11:38 pm

I wish GH all the best,I really do.But im not becoming a fawning sycophant now that the man has gone.Ive wanted him out for a year now and it would be a little inconsistent of me to join the love in at this late hour.As someone said earlier,thanks for 2001 GH,it was a laugh.But now lets get back to the serious business:fighting for the premiership and getting our respect back in the European cup.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion