Farewell gerard - Thank you and goodbye to a decent man

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby glenbuck patriot » Tue May 25, 2004 2:00 am

JohnBull wrote:For God's sake the man (Houllier) was a waste of space. All this "what a nice guy" cra p makes no sense. He's been paid millions for nothing - forget about the "I sorted the Spice Boys" rubbish - my granny could have done that with a clip around the earhole - his tactics were straight out of The John Charles book of football and Le Diquehead has the nerve to  slag off the sytle of the 60s and 70s.
NO LOSS TO US AND NO LOSS TO FOOTBALL

John Bull,

Since joining this forum, Dalglish will back me I've been more than vitriolic about the Man's demise... and the need for it, however after being proved right I personally feel NO great joy in the fact... we have in essence sacked another Manager for not bringing the wholly grail ie THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

I know your old school.... I'd like to think I was (First game  circa'73), and I know I missed the BEST, ie the '60's team, (According to me DAD), but let's reflect on the last 14 instead of 5 yrs, We've appointed three Managers in that time none have delivered, GH has the best record of ALL....

How sad is that!

I'm not backing the Man, NEVER HAVE, Even in the Glory Days of the treble, truth IS IMO He used up ALL the luck he was ever going to get in ONE Season to win those trophey's.

But Today after His demise, there is a little sadness I have to be honest, NOT for the Manager, but for the fact that 14 yrs after the last time we WON the league we seem to be as FAR away as ever from lifting the Trophey again.

Let's hope everyone in the decision making process at Anfield make's the RIGHT appointment this time round.
Pirrie Labour Club 1976 Bill Shankly Prize giving at local ABA Championships.

"You've been booked in to do a three round exhibition bout tonight Bill."

" My fights don't last three rounds SON!"
glenbuck patriot

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue May 25, 2004 2:04 am

make sure the door doesnt hit you on the ****** on the way out GH.  Even to the last you was dispalaying a stubborness saying you were 100% certain you would be manager next season. i used to think you were a nice guy but as time went on i started to think you were just in this for yourself and i started to dislike you.

Now lets move foward,,, C'mom you Reds
112-1077774096

Postby Mystical_red » Tue May 25, 2004 2:06 am

Goodbye Mr Houllier. I would like to thank this man for the smile and pride he gave me when we won the hat-trick of trophies in the 2001 season. For that the guy was untouchable and i feel in years to come we will all look back and see the bigger picture and what Houllier set out to achieve. Does anyone remember the portsmouth game when Houllier looked like tears were welling up, i believe that was the moment he knew it was the end but his passion and commitment and fire still made him push for the champions league place. I believe he was bought in to make wholesale changes from the roots up. I say this because he was director of Football in France and i think that the board saw what he had done in France and wanted the same thing to happen here. I feel Houllier has now set the corner stones that are needed for success, the small things that the majority of fans dont see. But it was time for a change and i think the board can now get a manager that will solely concentrate on the team and will not need someone to come in and overhaul the whole club because Houllier has done that and we all will appreciate it one day.
Mystical_red

Postby Mystical_red » Tue May 25, 2004 2:09 am

I do admit the thing that most irritated me was the endless comments in his interviews about how well we played and how much this player has improved u cud feel the camerman wanted to slap and say wtf are u on u was ******.
Mystical_red

Postby JohnBull » Tue May 25, 2004 2:11 am

Some of these posts are reading like a Miles&Boon novel - We'll have Le Prique walking off into the sunset next. Good Riddence and leave it at that for Gods sake.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby glenbuck patriot » Tue May 25, 2004 2:16 am

JohnBull wrote:Some of these posts are reading like a Miles&Boon novel -

NO,NO, NO Surely You Mean MILLS & BOON :D
Pirrie Labour Club 1976 Bill Shankly Prize giving at local ABA Championships.

"You've been booked in to do a three round exhibition bout tonight Bill."

" My fights don't last three rounds SON!"
glenbuck patriot

Postby Dalglish » Tue May 25, 2004 2:19 am

And YOU don't ever get sentimental then John ? :D

Have your opinions and say by all means, but show a tad of respect, next you will be saying GH put the heart Op on for the sympathy vote ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue May 25, 2004 2:48 am

in the words of another great englishman Lord Nelson "****** of you french ******"
112-1077774096

Postby Dalglish » Tue May 25, 2004 2:50 am

And they say Players are fickle !!!!!! You lot are so shallow you couldn't make a puddle betwen you :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue May 25, 2004 2:52 am

haha, seriously Dalglish, its a sad state of affairs that we were in a position that this had to happen, but he just wasnt good enough
112-1077774096

Postby Dalglish » Tue May 25, 2004 3:07 am

Quite true , he wasn't good enough , neither are 18 OTHER prem managers at the moment !!!!!!

Thats if you measure him against the ultimate measurement  and thats the PREM. ???

He has brought us forward though and as someone who had to endure the Souness years and Evans I know where we would be if either had stayed !!!!!
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue May 25, 2004 3:12 am

4th?
112-1077774096

Postby greenred » Tue May 25, 2004 3:18 am

Trouble with Houllier was he never punched above his weight.Wenger does and Ferguson.Curbishley,Mclaren,O`Leary all punch above their weight.Harry Redknapp and Allerdyce do.But Houllier no,you never got the feeling Liverpool were really stretching with him as manager.Thats the holy grail for pool fans,a man who can extract the best from his players and then ask for a little bit more.Houllier was never going to be that man.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue May 25, 2004 3:20 am

We are all judged by results but to be honest its all too simplistic to compare maangers in terms of position in any one season. I have watched LFC throughout he 90's and before and believe me we were going down the pan at the time GH arrived.

Players paid scant regard to diet, had no self control when they went out on the ****** and were largely free loading. Now you can get away with that in the Sunday leagues but were quickly found out in the Prem. Houllier brought discipline , respect and  persoanl responsibility back to players and the club.

He also won 6 trophies, lost 7 games out of 50 in Europe and if the reactions and clamour for the PREM title in here is anything to go by , belief and expectation !
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Tue May 25, 2004 3:27 am

The expectation is a lot less than it used to be.Any increase in optimism today is down to one fact:Gerard Houllier wont be at the club next season.Someone else will.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion