Danny murphy - What's happened to him this season?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:05 pm

danny murphy was dropped yesterday for the leicester match and in all fairness it had been coming. his displays over the past few weeks have been laboured to say the least. i just wandered why he has been so poor this season. i mean last season he was voted player of the year and was probably one of the highest scoring midfielders in the premiership. i think he scored 10-12 goals. he made up for his lack of pace with superb technical ability. i remember his goal at goodison which was technically superb.

however this season he seems to be off the boil. giving the ball away frequently, not getting forward enough and seriously lacking form. the fact he's playing wide right doesn't help as he's not a wide man but i still thought he would be able to adapt. maybe the guy thought he was better than he actually is. remember he was going to the world cup until he got injured. what do you feel about murphy? squad player or better? if someone came in for him at a decent price would you offload him?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:12 pm

I would keep hold of him as a squad player. We wouldn't get enough or him to make selling worthwhile. As for his form I haven't got a clue what's happened to him. We can all make smutty remarks about tiring himself out between the sheets every night but seriously what's going on? OK he's never been the hardest working player but his touch has deserted him and his football-brain has gone on holiday too.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:28 pm

One of the biggest problems for Danny is confidence. He is a massive confidence player.

The simple answer to the problem is that when we play at home, (hes put in some decent performances away at the start of the season), the fans are baying for blood. As soon as he misplaces the ball, the huge oooohhh from the Kop comes and his head goes down.

Im not saying Danny is World Class, but remember when we were cr#p last season, and we hadnt won a game for however many games, he was the only player,( Gerrard and Owen included), who kept the team going.

Get behind the lad, he can do it, he just needs some support.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:23 pm

I agree, Murphy still has class but he is no longer a starting player for me based on his form this season. Murphy doesn't have much pace + he is not the greatest tackler but he has always been able to rely on a sound touch, good football brain + an eye for goal. If he could string a few good home performances together with the crowd behind him then maybe we will see the best of him again.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:24 am

He's still useful and a good player. The fitness levels of ALOT of our players have been poor this season and i think he's one thats suffered from it.

I think the reason he is so bad when he's having an off day is because he doesn't hide. He still wants the ball and still tries things and still wants get involved. When he's good he's very good, but he can be pretty awful at times aswell but i think thats down to what i just said.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:31 am

Danny gets a lot of stick now a days but he was unquestionably our best performer last season.

I don't know the reason, but Houllier dropped Murphy at the start of the season and he has been in and out since.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion