Centre midfield - Getting a grip on the game

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:16 am

I hate parroting other peoples thoughts but I'll do it as I agree. The analysis of the game last night showed that when our centre backs have the ball , our midfielders especiall machiano have their backs to the LFC player i.e. he does NOT want the ball, this leaves our defenders with no option but to thump it long.

When reina has the ball - our backs don't look for it and he thumps it long.

For all the money rafa has spent, we should have players who look for the ball, keep possession and create, not players who are scared of losing possession .

Even Risses throws tend to be long throws into the box instead of short ones to an LFC player.

This isn't just last nights game - it is the style RAfa has, what happened to the fast moving possession game Valentia played against LFC when he was their manager? :angry:
Last edited by Big Niall on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:25 am

Simple, we can't break organised teams down and haven't for a long time!! :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:36 am

When things are not going well, when back are against the walls, people are less likely to want to take the responsibility.

Players will hide.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:58 am

hide their 70grand a week then and see if they appear
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:03 am

why we've got Alonso
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:25 am

Big Niall wrote:Even Risses throws tend to be long throws into the box instead of short ones to an LFC player.

Well a bit harsh on Mascherano who IMHO is a very good midfielder. Some of the things you describe happen in a team without confidence.

Anyway, in the Riise point I disagree totally, he's made long throws here as far as I can remember, and I think it's an asset for the team, basically he gives you a set pieces situation danger out from a throw in.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:27 am

Since when are wimbledon in disguise, watch a game with beardo, Barnes and Aldridge and see how often we gave away possession by trying to get territory, its not rugby.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:50 am

Big Niall wrote:Since when are wimbledon in disguise, watch a game with beardo, Barnes and Aldridge and see how often we gave away possession by trying to get territory, its not rugby.

The same side that lost to Wimbledon in the Cup Final ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:37 pm

I've blocked that match out of my memory :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:31 pm

I think the wide players in midfield are still a problem, neither great at ball retention or the best crossers so you end up wondering why Babel and Pennant start there. I'd put Benayoun on the right, Riise on the left and shop in January for a proper CB replacement for Sami and probably another £15m+ striker.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:38 pm

Problem with Yossi is he isnt really a winger and will always come inside.
puroresu

Postby kunilson » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:41 pm

yeah i think we definately need a winger in january along with a centre back.

back to the question, i think what was said on confidence is true, we're obviously low on it at the moment and im just glad we ain't losing in the premier league tbh.

but we do have the right players because when we are clicking we're a class act this season....every team has a bad patch or two....
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:45 pm

puroresu wrote:Problem with Yossi is he isnt really a winger and will always come inside.

Most good wingers will cut inside, Pennant never scores and simply doesn't look class enough. I'd rather have Yossi cutting inside but ask him to mix it up than have Pennant in the side. Even Gerrard on the right and Yossi in the middle has to be better than any combo involving Pennant who should be offloaded asap
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pedro Maradona » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:44 pm

problem is Mascherano is a defensive midfielder, (south american teams always have a reliance on a playmaker the number ten who effectively runs the game and a grafter, mascherano is a grafter, (IMO the best defensive midfielder in the world) Mascherano is protecting the back four especially with the lack of pace with our centre backs. I think he has the ability to be more offnsive minded but i think Rafa is saying no ur primary job is protect the centre backs this leaves a bit of a gap in the centre of the field where Steven Gerrard is meant to be Steven Gerrard is not a playmaker, a fabulous footballer whose best work is in the final third of the pitch, Alonso is more of a playmaker and was badly missed the last few games. I think Agger and Alonso are vital to this team and it has shown the last few games. Sissoko is a centre midfilder who is the ultimate grafter. so we lack the playmaker in the form of  Gary MacAllister or a Juan Roman Riquelme....play gerrard off of a lone centre forward buy riquelme and have mascherano as your defensive midfielder.....
Pedro Maradona

Postby VamosRafa » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:52 pm

For our centre mids to perform, we need our wingers to be of some sort of threat.  Apart from a few clever touches and movement from Benayoun, i can't really remember any sort of genuine goal threat coming from the wings. Pennant has faded after a decent start to the season, Babel seems clueless at times, and you can't really expect much when a left back (Riise) and a striker (Kuyt) are forced to play on the wings. How the centre mids get a grip with such ineffectiveness around them?
VamosRafa

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion