Body language - Looking at gerrards

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:28 pm

Is it me, or does Gerrard appear to be strolling through the games at the minute ? Well for largely a big propotion of this season.

His body language on the field is starting to irritate me TBPH. He looks slower and more lethargic in closing his man down, we're rarely seeing any of those crunching tackles anymore.
I'm not talking about the blistering goals Gerrard scores but his persona on the pitch appears to be a man so rapped up in his own hype that it now seems time for Gerrard to 'act' as he likes on the pitch.
When a pass is directed at him from one of his teamates and the pass has been intercepted, he sort of runs and comes to a halt but with a little jump at the end. I used to do something similar when I played football and it meant I was frustrated by my own teamate for not delivering the ball welll enough, it does appear the case with Gerrard.

He is still a b.loody good player but I prefer the younger Steven Gerrard, you know the one who hasnt got any discipline, the one who makes strong and even rash tackles at times and gets sent off in the Everton Derby. The one whos game is evolved around energy and power, the one who looks playing happy within himself and his teamates.

Has he become so arrogant ?

Or did he take Rafas' words to heart when he was substituted at Goodison earlier this season. Because if so I prefer that Gerrard, you know the one he runs around like a man possesed who isnt infact so strirred up by the occassion he's actually on th everge of loosing you a game at Everton, no, quite frankly the opposite a blinding player who looked the only one capable in a red shirt that day to do anything, he took the game by the scruff of the neck.

Has he become disillutioned by life under Benitez ?

Or is it me ?
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:39 pm

Covered every blade yesterday, and still remonstrating with the ref at full time.

Its just you mate.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:46 pm

Got to admit, could hardly say he was 'strolling' yesterday.. yesterday, he WAS liverpool
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:56 pm

I think he is playing under orders mate. I have noticed it quite a bit in recent games that he isn't bursting forward as often as he usually does, and when he does go forward he doesn't "hang around" as much as he once did but gets back into position much quicker.

I can't say that I have noticed him tackling any less, or with less enthusiasm , maybe he just doesn't need to now we have Masch? He has seemed a little slower but maybe he has lost a little pace through injuries,age etc.

He is probably just as sick of not challenging for the League as we are, and all the cr@p with Rafa, Hicks and Gillett can't make things seem any better for him to be fair.

Even though he has scored a lot of goals this season, I don't think we have seen anything like the usual Gerrard in front of goal either, with a fair number of his goals coming from set plays and penalties.

I thought he did ok first half against Chelsea but seemed to fade as the game went on. Maybe he needs to be rotated?  :D
account deleted by request

Postby ConnO'var » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:01 pm

He did well yesterday..... but he's been well below the standard we know he's capable of lately.....

Don't know why....

Under orders or just plain fed up or sulking etc etc....

With us these days, you just don't know.
ConnO'var

Postby Big Niall » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:05 pm

I think it is good that he is not bursting forward all the time. It is a sign of maturity if he develops more patience.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:13 pm

Big Niall wrote:I think it is good that he is not bursting forward all the time. It is a sign of maturity if he develops more patience.

You forgot to blame Rafa.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:21 pm

He hasn't looked happy but given the way our season has gone I wouldn't expect him to. At times he has certainly looked a bit disillusioned with the quality of football produced by some of his team mates , but even he has been guilty of some less than inspiring football , of late some of his passing has been woeful for a player of his ability.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:26 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Covered every blade yesterday, and still remonstrating with the ref at full time.

Its just you mate.

I also noticed him kicking off at the end.

You could read his lips when he was speaking to Reilly....he said to him f'ck off Mick, calling Reilly Mick...i was laughing me head off  :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:39 pm

i agree with the original poster to an extent

it does seem like hes on cruise-control alot of the time

but he probaly is under orders not to make so many surging runs forward
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:12 pm

I think it could be said about a few of the players recently which has to be put down to off the field troubles at the club and certainly the doubts that surround Rafa's job security.
Carra hasn't looked upto his usual high standards at times, being caught on the hop resulting in incidents like the penalty at West Ham and the nearly penalty against Sunderland. Finnan too has looked someway short of his best, but with him being in and out of the team with injuries lately may not have helped him.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:38 pm

Don't worry guys....gerrard is just saving his energy for the inter clash...... where he will unload all kind of destruction on the inter team and subsequently taking us to the quarterfinals...  :buttrock
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:41 pm

I dont care if Gerrard has a whole season of lethargic displays  and we have to carry him, we would still owe it to the fella lol
Hes the bees knees ..just enjoy him and remember how lucky we are -watching the greatest player to don the red shirt :buttrock
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:45 pm

IMO his body language is usually poor in respect of being a captain and senior player, even when he is playing very well.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby redmikey » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:47 pm

he has trust in masha to clear up the dirty work and not run round like a headless chicken, my only criticism of SG is that he seems to go for the Hollywood pass far to much lately, and other than torres no one is going to get on the end of them
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion