Benitez: 'we're at the same level as united'

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bpm1976 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:08 pm

Hey all!
I was just browsing through and read up on this article on football365.com.
Hope this hasnt been done already!

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez believes that his side are "at the same level as Manchester United now," but is still keen to improve his squad in the January transfer window.

Would be keen to hear some views on this, I would like to think that we are at the same level as the mancs, but I feel we are a good 3 players away from being on a par with them.

Sometimes these comments can have a nasty habbit of kicking u in the nutz!
Cheers all!
bpm1976

Postby JC_81 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:26 pm

On paper the scum have a better side than us imo.  However having seen them play a few times this season and throughout last season, they aren't really as good as they should be with those players.  As a team, they probably are about the same level as us right now.  Too many of their stars are past their best now and I really doubt Fergie will be able to build a third winning side.

They need a new approach imo, it seems ridiculous to say Fergie has to go after what he's achieved, but I think it's time for a change.  He's mellowed a hell of a lot over the years and I think he's lost the ruthless streak that made him such a successful coach.

At the moment both the scum and ourselves, and Arsenal as well, are going through transitional seasons.  This is a major factor I believe in Chelsea's dominance this season and last.  All their major rivals are rebuilding at the same time.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red black white » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:34 pm

In my opinon Liverpool is way better than M.U. But Chelsea has very good players and it will be difficult to any team to beat them..

"They're big, they're strong", goes the São Paulo club anthem, and the words never seemed more appropriate[...]"FIFA.com
Red black white

Postby Effes » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:52 pm

I dont think we are on the same level in respect that I dont think we will finish as high as them in the Premiership, however I think we'll go further in the Champs League.
Does this make them better? IMO just about. It requires a more consistent team to finish higher in the Premership.

Here is the betting on the Premiership (without Chelsea: Bet365)

Man Utd    10-11
Arsenal      11-8
Liverpool      7-1
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:26 pm

van der Sar, Heinze, Ferdinand, Ronaldo, Rooney and van Nistlerooy are better than anything we have in all of those positions.
115-1073096938

Postby H_K_LFC » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:46 pm

On our day we can get beat man u easily but we are consintent enough....If we can become more consintent away frome home then maybe we can finish hiher than them in the league
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:20 pm

H_K_LFC wrote:On our day we can get beat man u easily but we are consintent enough....If we can become more consintent away frome home then maybe we can finish hiher than them in the league

Totally agree with you H_K_LFC. I think that in the league at the moment we haven't really got going yet and as per usual we aren't being consistent enough; however in europe i think we are miles ahead of the manc$, this maybe isn't down to a player to player comparison but more down to the managers tactics. I think Rafa has a much better understanding of the european game than the old 'LORD OF WHINGE' - this having been picked up when rafa was studying the game around europe. Come the end of the season i think we'll be looking at the following:-
1st. Chel$ki  :no
2nd. Arseholenal   ???
3rd. Manc$h!te   ???
4th. RAFA Glorious reds army  :)

European Champions:-
RAFA Glorious reds army[B]   Number 6(******) :wwww
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:21 pm

I don't agree that we are at Man UTD's level.

We have closed the gap a fair bit compared to the difference in 2003, but we are still a bit off them.

It'll be interesting to see where we stand relative to them in 18 months, though.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Espionage » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:43 am

Also we cannot assume that Man U will stay still while we catch up, I imagine while we sign new players in January they will spend around hte same amount and bring in quality.
All things being equal, i think another year and we will be better than Man U, it just depends on how they evolve as a team.
I think that this thread is a bit premature ???
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby darwisigila » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:42 am

in term in depth squad, i think we still far behind mu but on the pitch 11 vs 11, we are more capable to defeat their team whether at anfield or old trafford
darwisigila

Postby Paul C » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:38 am

The worrying thing is that United aren't the team they used to be and I still feel were slightly behind them, the main positions where they are miles ahead is upfront with 'The Horse' and 'The fat ugly one' and also in the wide positions, if we could get some quality in the wide positions and start scoring then we'd be a match for any team, but until then..................... :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby darwisigila » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:46 am

chelshit is our rival now...we should compare with them, not mu
darwisigila

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:47 am

stu_the_red wrote:van der Sar, Heinze, Ferdinand, Ronaldo, Rooney and van Nistlerooy are better than anything we have in all of those positions.

I disagree a little, i say Reina and Carragher are a fair match for Van Der Sar and Ferdinand
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:49 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:van der Sar, Heinze, Ferdinand, Ronaldo, Rooney and van Nistlerooy are better than anything we have in all of those positions.

I disagree a little, i say Reina and Carragher are a fair match for Van Der Sar and Ferdinand

Yup, I agree there Shanks.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:41 am

Level with Man U? 'Fraid not. At least 12 points difference in the Prem come the end of the season I fancy.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion