Benitez hails great performance

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:08 am

A beaming Rafael Benitez could not contain his delight after seeing Liverpool come from behind to beat Charlton at The Valley and compared the second half performance to some of the best his team has produced this season.
Fernando Morientes and John Arne Riise scored the goals that cancelled out Shaun Bartlett's first half opener and secured a crucial 2-1 victory for the Reds.

Benitez is of the opinion that Liverpool's display after the break was as good as those against Arsenal and Olympiacos before Christmas and that this high standard must be maintained if the push for Champions League qualification is to be maintained.

"I'm delighted with the team and with the result," Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv afterwards.

"Even though we we're behind in the first half I knew that we were creating good chances and always felt confident that we could get back into it. At half-time the players were all determined and they were telling each other to remember what we did against Fulham.

"I think in the second half we played with the high tempo that got us the result against Arsenal and Olympiacos and it's that kind of performance we are going to need if we want to do well in the remaining games."

Benitez was also pleased to see his recent signing from Real Madrid score his first goal for the club and added: "Morientes played very well tonight but that's because all of the players did very well.

"We spoke before the game and agreed that the time had come for him to start scoring goals. When you've been the top scorer in the Champions League goals are always very important and that one tonight will be great for his confidence."

--------------------
Roberts,Lakes and the rest who believe that Rafa has no passion and that he is no capapable of leading us to glory, where are you now?

Yes it's only Charlton but three points is three points. Don't forget the games against Arsenal,Olympiakos, the comeback against Fulham and even the game against Chelsea where we outplayed a top side.

With more time and a bit more funds under a manager like Rafa we can see more performances like those with a good end result.

It will take time and by time I do not mean 5 weeks or 6 months, it will take a season or two. We need to play like a team like we did tonight and because we're inconsistant that will take time to do it on a regular basis
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby fivecups » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:39 am

Cracking goal from Morientes. Just need a goal spree from him and Milan to build the confidence for this tasty set of fixtures:

22 February 2005
UEFA Champions League
Liverpool v Bayer Leverkusen, 19:45
27 February 2005
Carling Cup
Liverpool v Chelsea,
05 March 2005
Barclays Premiership
Newcastle v Liverpool, 15:00
09 March 2005
UEFA Champions League
Bayer Leverkusen v Liverpool, 19:45
20 March 2005
Barclays Premiership
Liverpool v Everton, 16:05

Mouth-watering or what?
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:52 am

I thought that tonight Liverpool show a great deal of promise.  Morientes was excellent, and after he scored, it looked like he had been given a large injection of confidence - his play on, and off, the ball was brilliant to watch.

I was even impressed with Garcia tonight....!!!

Working better as a team.

But Biscan......Just NO....enough said.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:54 am

Great win to get back on track especially coming from behind away.
Hopefully we can build on it as fivecups has pointed out , its going to be a big month
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:01 am

Quite possibly the most significant result of the season so far as LFC come from behind to stop the rot and get back on track for a serious challenge to Everton's current 4th standing.

Everton go to an improved Blackburn tomorrow and I reckon a  draw is the most likely result.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:02 am

laza wrote:Great win to get back on track especially coming from behind away.
Hopefully we can build on it as fivecups has pointed out , its going to be a big month

Yes...starting with Fulham on Saturday.  Didi will be back, so Biscan can go and FU(k off....
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:19 am

I think the key is Garcia and SG ... They are play well , Liverpool will win , but if not , I'm afraid that Liverpool will lose ...
LiverpoolMadman

Postby YoungAdam » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:11 am

Great performance from all round. Glad (and relieved to some extent) to see Nando play so well and get his first goal.
YoungAdam

Postby Dalglish » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:23 am

Agree mate . nando was always going to come good as he is quality but the overall contributiona nd of course the goal coomes as relief to all LFC fans :)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:16 am

Hyypia made a huge difference and the back. he's much more assured than pellegrino
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liamac » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:28 am

The good thing also is that both Spurs and Boro lost  which eases the pressure on our @rse !
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:44 am

Dalglish wrote:Quite possibly the most significant result of the season so far as LFC come from behind to stop the rot and get back on track for a serious challenge to Everton's current 4th standing.

Everton go to an improved Blackburn tomorrow and I reckon a  draw is the most likely result.

Everton play against Norwich, Blackburn play against CHelsea.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:30 am

Hyypia was good, Riise was persistant and Mori got the goal he needed to start a long and prosperous career at Anfield (or wherever we go). Rafa is doing a good job and if you are a player and you want to leave this team, you have no idea what you're gonna miss. I know it's only one win, but we're goin places people. I can feel it in m'water!
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:35 am

I haven't seen the game yet but I heard that Garcia played fairly well along with Baros
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby azriahmad » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:47 am

Great to make a comeback from behind like this, good for charachter building, espelcially for the Spanish players who have to get to terms with the hustle and bustle of the EPL. My main concern is the presistent lack of consistency of several Spanish players, especially Garcia - he can be so good but most of the time, he is woeful.

We have to build on this and get some consistency going. Everton have not been a revelation at all but they work extremely hard for each other and has been very consistent.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion