Are we happy with fringe players - Gerard houllier's transfer philosophies

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bring Dalglish back » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:24 pm

At the end of last season, Gerard Houllier was reported as saying that he would rather bring fringe players to the club as opposed to world-class stars (ie young lads who are not used to playing in such a gruelling league as the Premiership).
Correct me if I’m wrong, but to be the best you have to buy the best players just like Manchester United or Chelsea.
With regards to this matter, the one thing that bugs me is the Rivaldo issue. Fair enough I realise that why Houllier has said this is because of wage-bill constraints, but dig deep in your pockets Liverpool because this man is a ‘world-class’ player. He could fit nicely into a free-role, just like McManaman did.
:D
"People Say football is a matter of life and death" , " I believe it is much more important than that", Bill Shankly.
Bring Dalglish back
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:09 am

Rivaldo is an old man who may or may not do a job for Liverpool, but is it really worth the risk paying 100grand a week to a guy who could disrupt squad moral and ultimately fail on the pitch?

Anyway, he plays in the same position as Harry Kewell.

A proven centre forward to replace Heskey is more urgent.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:45 am

Agreed JBG, fringe players are not the players we should be signing, we already have half a squad of them and most of us would sell most of them We should stop dithering and make bids for quality. Unfortunately you rarely get a second chance to sign a quality player at a decent price so Anelka is an unlikely signing as are other quality players who've gone begging. I'd like to see us bid for Yakin if only to find out how much we would have to pay. I think we have to sign players in the transfer window but also get rid of a few. Trouble is Houllier will have a hard time selling half of what he's bought without giving it away
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:52 am

Yakin would be a great signing but what the hell is the position between Basle and Paris St. Germain?

Apparently Yakin signed for PSG, but they rescinded the deal because he failed a medical or something. I'm not sure. Did he play for Basle against Newcastle lately or is he a PSG player now?

I also like Rosicky at Borussia Dortmund but I heard that he resolved his row with the club and signed a new contract.

Owzat is right when he says that we have enough fringe players. Buying one or two first teamers of proven quality is what is needed now.

By the way, Simic raised an interesting point in another thread about signing Henrick Larson next summer on a free.

I think this is a brilliant idea. Larson is a great player, a brilliant professional, and like Alan Shearer and Reddy Sheringham, he has learned to change his game after he reached 30 where he no longer needs to rely on his pace anymore. He could do a great job for us for 2 seasons, like McAllister did or Sheringham at Man UTD, and he could pass on a lot of his knowledge to Owen, Baros and Pongolle.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:24 pm

Larsson is an interesting case, he may or may not attract interest from the top three. I will mention my preference for players who have Premiership experience over scottish league players, scoring in one league is a different kettle of fish to the other
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:59 pm

I think we already have enough "Fringe players", For example, Smicer, Murphy, Carrgagher, Vignal, Diao,etc.

We need to bring in players that can go stragiht into the first team.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redandblue » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:55 pm

Rivaldo is an over-rated OAP. It would be like signing Paul Gascoigne.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion