Are our strikers clinical enough - In front of goal ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kirankara » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:27 pm

baros was a headless chicken and his one on one chances used to drive me nuts, he had composure of a jew in nazi concentration camp, he was useless.his team play was pathetic too, he had skill galore and pace, but footballing intelligence of..... well djibril cisse
:D
kirankara

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:40 pm

I think people are a bit harsh on Baros. He had to play up front on his own for most of the time.He worked his socks off and created space for others even when he wasnt scoring. He had an attitude problem but apart from that I thought he was a good (not great) forward. He could be frustrating at times but he was always full of running. If he could have learned to lift his head up occasionally and look for a team mate he might still be here.
account deleted by request

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:20 pm

I dont think it will be a problem at all, Kuyt missed a couple on Wednesday but scored a decent poachers goal where he made the right run, he was unlucky against Chelsea and as badbob says he might of opted for power just as he hadnt scored yet.
Bellamy should of scored when he tried to dink it, but i think if he had scored in a previous game he would of put that one away as well. Most strikers score in patches and i think Bellamy and Kuyt have plenty of goals in them.
On a side note, do you think the players think they have to blast it to beat a keeper the with size and ability of Cech, as Kuyt and Gerrard both did the same thing from yards out when it would of been easier to opt for placement ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:27 pm

stmichael wrote:bring back baros

Thanks for the sarcasm their, for what its worth I thought it was a valid point. You say owt when other people open up threads on new players, and I make an observation and you drop a Baros remark, funny hey ?  :no

And as for Kirkanaia or whatever your name is, put your dummy back in. Tool !
66-1112520797

Postby kirankara » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:33 pm

bamanga man kiss my :censored: u peenarse, oops take it back u might try
kirankara

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:38 pm

On a side note, do you think the players think they have to blast it to beat a keeper the with size and ability of Cech, as Kuyt and Gerrard both did the same thing from yards out when it would of been easier to opt for placement

Its a bit of a catch 22 really, placing the ball will ensure more accuracy to pick a spot, but maybe lacks as much power as a strike. Also as it can be less powerful the keeper has more chance of getting down and making a save. And usually when you go for placement you open up your body to get the angle and a keeper can also read this.

When going for power as Kuyt did against Cech, Cech was routed to the floor and didnt even move, so obviously a keepers reaction will have to be at least twice as quick in when trying to save a more powerful shot. But unlike placing the shot you loose the accuracy most of the time, I think its six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Bring back Sean Dundee  :buttrock   :D
66-1112520797

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:42 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
stmichael wrote:bring back baros

Thanks for the sarcasm their, for what its worth I thought it was a valid point. You say owt when other people open up threads on new players, and I make an observation and you drop a Baros remark, funny hey ?  :no

And as for Kirkanaia or whatever your name is, put your dummy back in. Tool !

jesus christ, have you been hanging around with leon? :p

i agree with you. infact i made the same comment myself last week. of the four strikers we have, only fowler does the majority of his best work inside the penalty area. the other three are much more involved in the build up play.

out and out poachers these days are few and far between that are available at a reasonable price.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:42 pm

I don't care if you choose placement or power, just don't hesitate. Kluivert is one of the most talented players I've known when it came to touch and placement, but he hesitated, thus he failed lots of one on ones.

Bring back Morientes  :D
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby craig da Toxteth iron » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:15 pm

What have you got to understand is our striker are fairly new to the club. Crouch since arriving a year ago played alongside Morientes who was a poor striker, Djibril Cisse who was a hot & Clod for me, Robbie Fowler & Sinama Pongolle only played a handful of games alongside Crouch.

Craig Bellamy is not fire at the moment but he is getting closer & closer. I know that he should have but away the chance that he had against Newcastle, but he is in getting in the right areas. That’s the main thing.

Dirk Kuyt can score 20 league goals for us but it won’t be this season cos he has to adjust to the Premiership. Unlike most foreign imports Dirk is settling in much quickly than Andriy Shevchenko who can also speak good English. I reckon he can score at least about 15-20 goals in all competitions this season.

We all know what Robbie Fowler can do when he starts for us. He poaches and Provide goals for us, has a positive affect for us. But he hasn’t started enough games for us.

Don’t worry people your strikers will come good cos they will have a good understanding in the future.
:D
Image Image

craig da Toxteth iron

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:34 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
As far as finishing goes at the moment, TBH, we could put Stevie down as being not clinical enough either: his drive right at Cech (power over placement), hitting the woodwork against PSV and Everton, etc.  But, of course, we all know what he's capable of when he's got his shooting boots on.

People may disagree with me, but we should rely on our strikers to get the lions share of goals IMO, especially when playing to up front. I know the midfield have to chip in, but you cant really compare Gerrards missed opportunities to our strikers. The strikers are the players who get more chances to score goals than any other players do, we cant point the finger at midfielders for not getting us goals just because the strikers arent scoring.

In saying that though I wouldnt be at all surprised if Gerrard come the end of the season finishes with a higher goal tally than Bellamy. And for Rafa Dodds sake I hope I'm wrong but I can see A.Johnson racking up more goals than Bellamy, just because scoring goals is a stronger part of his game compared to Bellamys.

Hope I'm wrong though :D

That's a fair point, mate, about expectations for goals from midfield vs goals from up front.  However, I wasn't trying to suggest that Gerrard, or other midfielders, should make up for our strikers' profligacy in front of goal.  In fact, I probably wasn't as clear with the Gerrard point as I meant to be so I'll give it another go...

In bringing up Gerrard's recent near misses/spurned chances, I simply meant to illustrate that good players who have an eye for goal (as we know Gerrard does) also miss chances.  When the margin of error is a few inches--as it often has been this season for Gerrard, Kuyt and Bellamy, in particular--it's hard to fault the players in my mind.  Sometimes you're just unlucky.  Gerrard was unlucky that his efforts against Everton and PSV hit the post and stayed out (though, he could have done better against Cech).  Likewise, Kuyt was unlucky that he smacked the bar against Chelsea.  Bellamy was unlucky that his West Ham striked was adjudged to be offside, etc. 

Now, if they continue to miss chances and make missing by inches a fine art, I'll start to worry a little.  At the moment, though, I think they are doing just about everything right and are just not getting the rub of the green.  In no way are we looking at the heirs of Cisse here, though, where every sitter is driven right at the keeper or blasted over the bar and where the attempts:goals ratio hovered in the neighbourhood of 7:1!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby onizukaeikichi » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:35 pm

bring back owen? :p
onizukaeikichi

Postby Graeme Noble » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:49 pm

I think Kuyt will have 20 goals in him at least and I think Bellamy will shine, like he did for Blackburn last year.
Peter Crouch won't score a lot of goals and to be honest might not get played regularly if Bellamy and Kuyt keep up the good work.
Graeme Noble

Postby kunilson » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:28 am

i think we aren't gonna get one striker who will be contender for most goals in a season....but what we do have is alot of hungry strikers who are more than capable of getting the most amount of goals between them than most strike forces in the premiership.

We have one of the best midfields in the premiership and it if we dont have the strikers to benefit from that by the end, we havent done well..
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby mighty mo » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:51 pm

Bamaga man wrote:After watching some of our recent performances Everton, Chelsea and Newcastle especially. This question has been brought to my mind, between Bellamy, Crouch and Kuyt none of them look as though they've got the poachers instinct. This worried me a bit when we where one nil up to the barcodes and Bellamy was clean through on goal, only to chip his effort wide of the post. I told myself 'if that had been against ManU or someone like Chelsea we may of paid for those misses'. Kuyt also squandered some decent opportunities.
At stamford bridge he hit the bar in the first half and opted for power, maybe a touch more composure and we'd of been one up at half time instead of one down. Credit to Kuyt for taking his goal but to be fair to all three of our regular forwards they dont look like the Rush's or the Linekars of the world and that maybe a cause for concern when the goals dry up from else where on the pitch.
At the moment what is shining out about our forwards is there workrate, its obvious Rafa likes a 'grafter' of a player. But sometimes I'd give-up some of that for a little more composure or quality in front of goal.

well dirk kuyt looked clinical enough in his last 2 games :D
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Graeme Noble » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:00 pm

Seriously, Dirk Kuyt if he plays most games will get us 20 goals.
Graeme Noble

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion