1989 fa cup final-barnes football night

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sheepo » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:13 pm

Saw highlights of this game for the first time on John Barnes Football night on Thursday night and i have to say it was great.Since it was before my time as a football fan-was 3 at the time.Can someone give me some information on the rest of the tournament and maybe i video i can see with the games on it?
Cheers
Sheepo

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:47 pm

I have the entire episode of Grandstand from that day on video.  The whole episode.  Shows the road to Wembley, the lot.
jonnymac1979

Postby Sean » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:26 pm

John Aldridges finish in the final was top class.  Kenny sold him far too early.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:52 pm

Sean wrote:John Aldridges finish in the final was top class.  Kenny sold him far too early.

Agree, Aldo is still a Liverpool legend though.  Should have kept him.  I've read Aldo's book, I think he was disappionted to say the least, but we had just brought Rushie back.  Rush was a different player when he returned to Anfield and ultimately not as prolific.  The cracks were already beginning to show in the Anfield empire. 

But hindsight is great isn't it.........?  :D
jonnymac1979

Postby JBG » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:17 pm

Yes, Jonny.

I haven't read Aldo's book (can you please post the full title?) but I always got the impression that being sold broke his heart.

He was a relative late starter and it took him a long time to get to the old Division One, and he was no spring chicken when he eventually signed for Liverpool. He absolutely murdered himself on the pitch, and was terrific for the two and a half years he was at the club.

At the time it made a lot of sense to sell Aldridge as that was back when there was no such think as squad rotation and we couldn't have had someone like Aldo sitting on the bench.

Apparently he is still loved in Spain and in my opinion, although he is a legend at Tranmere, he could have played another 2 or 3 seasons in the old Division One/Premiership.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Sean » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:22 pm

True he was no spring chicken when he joined us in '87 but he was still playing international football in 1996.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:25 pm

Was there some statistic where he didn't make his league debut until the age of 23?

Great guy, great player, although good knows how he managed to get away with playing for Southport for so long. ???
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Sean » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:35 pm

Ian Wright and Stuart Pearce were other "late developers".  Because of the influx of foreigners to the premiership it is becoming more difficult for lower division players to get a chance to break into the premiership.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:38 pm

Jason McAteer was another.

Would never happen nowadays.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:57 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Was there some statistic where he didn't make his league debut until the age of 23?

Great guy, great player, although good knows how he managed to get away with playing for Southport for so long. ???

didn`t know aldo played for southport.
i always thought he played for south liverpool.
just shows you, never stop learning, even at my age  :D

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:01 pm

I think it's just JOHN ALDRIDGE MY STORY.  Was a year or two back now when I read it.
jonnymac1979

Postby JBG » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:03 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
John Barnes' Granny wrote:Was there some statistic where he didn't make his league debut until the age of 23?

didn`t know aldo played for southport.
i always thought he played for south liverpool.
just shows you, never stop learning, even at my age  :D

I beg your pardon, you are right!

Aldo's clubs were: South Liverpool, Newport County, Oxford United, Real Sociedad, Tranmere Rovers (as player then manager)

I guess my brain was mixing South Liverpool and Newport County up!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:27 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:At the time it made a lot of sense to sell Aldridge as that was back when there was no such think as squad rotation and we couldn't have had someone like Aldo sitting on the bench.

I firmly believe this was one of Kenny's biggest mistakes selling Aldo when he did.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby JohnnyAldridge fan » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:01 am

Bring him back we are short cover!(can see hom chasing the ball in his wheelchair :D aldo and mori upfront  :cool:
JohnnyAldridge fan

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:10 am

supersub wrote:
John Barnes' Granny wrote:At the time it made a lot of sense to sell Aldridge as that was back when there was no such think as squad rotation and we couldn't have had someone like Aldo sitting on the bench.

I firmly believe this was one of Kenny's biggest mistakes selling Aldo when he did.

In hindsight, yes, I agree 100%, but at the time everyone expected Rush to fit back in nicely.

Its a pity as Aldo had another couple of good years left in him.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion