1984 european cup v's athletico bilbao - Souness v's the butcher of bilbao

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:15 am

Remenising with a pal about the 1984 2nd round LFC versus Athletico Bilbao when the notorious Butcher of Bilbao met Graeme Souness.

Does anyone have a link to the game or vid link that describes how the Butcher came to be carried off?

My pal tells the story with such relish of how the Butcher had said during the build up that Souness would wish he'd never left home and that on their first contact after kick off the Butcher was stretchered off with Our Graeme protesting to the ref that he'd never touched him.

Grateful for any link as for these moments of inspiration cemented Souie's domination of midfield and to me, made him a legend.  :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:24 am

is this the time souness chinned him and broke his jaw or was that against an eastern European team. I can remember that one, none of the officials saw it while all of us on the kop saw it.

in fact i think that was against an eastern european team.

as you were   :D
112-1077774096

Postby Reg » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:39 am

Peewee, you're thinking of:

'A spiteful game between Liverpool and Dinamo Bucharest at Anfield produced only one goal - a cross from a free-kick headed home by Lee - four bookings and a Romanian jaw allegedly broken by a Souness punch.'

Also 1984, but not The Butcher.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:56 am

yeah thats the one mate, cheers.

in my eyes souness was an absolute legend as a player
112-1077774096

Postby Reg » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:24 am

I like this picture of him when he signed for Rangers.
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:29 am

Sorry lads, mistaken identity....   :laugh:
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:36 am

:D
burjennio

Postby mighty mo » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:17 pm

that butcher fellow was the one who broke maradona's leg when maradona played for barcelona in 1984, shocking tackle, i saw him being interviewed on the bbc 2 series on a hard man soccer 11 and he was laughing and quite proud of that dispicable act , looks like this guy was the spanish version of vinnie jones, not to mucch footballing  ability but revelled in the hard man persona.
Last edited by mighty mo on Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:22 pm

mighty mo wrote:that butcher fellow was the one who broke maradona's leg when maradona played for barcelona in 1984, shocking tackle, i saw him being interviewed on the bbc 2 series on a hard man soccer 11 and he was laughing and quite proud of that dispicable act , looks like this guy was the spanish version of vinnie jones, not to mucch footballing  ability but revelled in the hard man persona.

A w*nker, then?

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:43 pm

Bad Bob, you didn't tell me you played against Goikoetxea, the butcher of Bilbao. :D

I can make a profile about him in the international football, as a Bilbao player he was, I could say a couple of things about him.

But to be fair, he was a nasty player at times, but not more than many players nowadays. He just got a bad name because the Maradona tackle. But to be fair to him, Figo also injured a player, Cesar, and forced him out from his football Career and nobody remembers him for that. Goikoetxea didn't retire Maradona from football, but he earnt the butcher nickname for him. I think he has a point there.

I'd love to see that images of Souness humilliating Goikoetxea.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:11 am

talking about souness... why is it that lfc doesn't go for scottish talent or even british (irish, welsh) anymore? We had so much talent from there like hansen, dalglish and souness. Is it that they don't produce that kind of talent anymore? surely there will be a few bright prospects... I'm asking because we might be able to have good value for money for these talents as english talents if they're good enough are very expensive (like rooney, walcott, etc)... Or is it a matter of not looking there as rafa is more into the european market?

I'm not from britain so if anyone can discuss about this that'll be great...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:52 am

i think we were after a young scottish lad who is very highly rated but he decided to stay in scotland for a bit longer

i think his names was erm...... mc cartny? ???? ???? ???? ????
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion