New member - who needs a question answered

For new members to introduce themselves - Guest Book

Postby Ciggy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:34 am

Dalglish wrote:I know we are allowing ourselves to look forward to a possible final with the Mancs but I have serious concerns should this happen ???

You just can't police a game between these two clubs in a Capital city miles from England and it's a final I'm sure UEFA are dreading !

Not so sure Ian, Plattini would get his wish of 3 english clubs.
Now we are basicly through to the semis this topic should be brought up in the LFC forum.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:44 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:
Ciggy wrote:Idoubt anyone will be booking flights already as Chelsea are no push over and will want revenge

Again, just the optimism I have at the minute, I'm completely discounting Chelsea.  What the fuck's up with me?

a mate of my booked his flights, etc. after the first a leg against Barca. Now THAT was optimistic.  :D

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:55 am

babu wrote:a mate of my booked his flights, etc. after the first a leg against Barca. Now THAT was optimistic.  :D

:D  If nothing else he'll at least have a good holiday . Athens is a great place for a short break .

Ciggy however is right , Liverpool v Man U final in Athens would be a nightmare . Forget the result . Athens would become a war zone.

Uefa must be praying the Mancs get turfed out .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:19 am

Wooooooo there, all of you are VERY misinformed about the Field of Anfield Road song.

It is based on the Fields of Athenry, an Irish rebel song about the plight of a young Irishman who is locked up in prison by the hated British :angry: :D  during the potato famine.

Athenry is in County Galway in Ireland and is always sung by Galway GAA supporters at hurling and gaelic football matches. It was latterly adapted by Irish rugby teams - principally Munster (which is ironic, as Athenry is in a different province to Munster) and also the Irish national rugby team.

In more recent years Irish supporters going to Celtic games brought it with them and it wasn't long before various versions popped up. Liverpool have their version (the Fields of Anfield Road) and even Glasgow Rangers have a version, which is hilarious given the political leanings of certain Glasgow Rangers supporters and players (*cough* Andy Gorum).

I doubt Liverpool supporters nicked it from Celtic, it was probably more of a case of Irish supporters who go to Anfield every second weekend in their hundreds/thousands introducing it to locals and a localised version evolving in the Kop and the pubs of Liverpool after the game.

I'd be interested to hear from any locals as to when the song was first sung. I was surprised to learn that the original version was only written for the first time in the 1970s: I had assumed that it was an old Fenian song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fields_of_Athenry
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:15 pm

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:01 pm

Its a great tune (the original that is, I'm not that keen on the Anfield Road version).
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby peterc1992 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:41 pm

Fields on Athenry is originally an irish song,its a place in ireland,not far from where i live.
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:25 pm

peterc1992 wrote:Fields on Athenry is originally an irish song,its a place in ireland,not far from where i live.

No sh.it Sherlock...Well ta for sorting that out for us all! :D
66-1120597113

Postby jkop » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:36 am

BarryBelfast wrote:
peterc1992 wrote:Fields on Athenry is originally an irish song,its a place in ireland,not far from where i live.

No sh.it Sherlock...Well ta for sorting that out for us all! :D

You tell em Barry  :laugh:

Only joking Peter :D
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby peterc1992 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:02 pm

Just answering the question............I answer it and someone has to comment and say "no :censored: sherlock"Just answering the question.
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Introductions Forum