Work offer - Tough decision

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Number 9 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:52 am

I'd be away for the 17 days no bother!
Put it this way our soldiers risk their lives in Helmand province for as little as 17k a year.........Now I dont know too much about Algeria but its safe to say I have not heard of anything bad about it on the news.
Its also safe to say its feck all compared to what the army face even if there is a bit of trouble!

9k wages for 17 days?
You'd be mad to say no
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:02 am

A few snippets from UK govt advice on travel to Algeria.

On 22 October 2009, seven Algerian security guards were killed and two were injured in a gun attack 20 kms south-east of Tizi Ouzou, between Maatkas and Souk El Tenine. The security guards were en route to work, where they were responsible for protecting the building site of a Canadian company.

Foreign workers and their means of transport have also been targets for attacks. In the last two years there have been at least three roadside bomb attacks on vehicles carrying foreign workers, which have resulted in six deaths and several injuries. For unavoidable travel and regular journeys we recommend changing the timings and routes where possible.

There is a high threat of kidnapping in Algeria and surrounding countries by Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb. A British national who was kidnapped with a group of travellers in the Mali/Niger border region in January has recently been executed.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:11 am

Sabre wrote:If you need the money for your family or something important do it.

If you need the money for a holiday, then don't.

I think the risk exists, and you should see under what security measures you'll work and think carefully. You might not be Egyptian, but the ones who pay you might be, so you can be attacked anyway.

If you don't need the fúcking money for anything super important, then don't do it. 

If you finally decide to, I have a friend that provides private security (mercenaries) all over Africa, I'll let you his email address in order you ask him about the situation there, if you wish. We haven't talked for a while but we made some friendship when he used to work here in my town.

PM me if you need that info

My employer is global, a company called Invensys. And they would provide all the security required, their health and safety policy is strict.

To answer you question, I do have dependant - a wife and little boy. Hence my dilemma, the money isn't crucial but would be handy. My problem is Algeria falls into one of those risk categories where for the most part in the main regions there are little issues with terrorism.

Chances are I could go there and not see or hear a single issue, but the country is prone to escalating problems. So since the World Cup riots the risk category is now HIGH, one below the maximum.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:14 am

If you end up going to the capital there won't be high issues in terrorism or sniff of that, but if your project is in rural areas or suberbs of the capital in Algeria, then yes there is a HUGE risk
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:25 am

Which city in Algeria ?
Have a friend who is Canadian-Algerian... visits family in Algeria all the time and knows the place pretty well.. Will ask her about the area and if she has any advice or so... Oh and if girls in Algeria look anywhere near as good as she does then you're up for a treat buddy....

I'd do it if i was you, from what she says its safe during the day but at night you'd be better off staying in or going out with a group of people..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:45 am

Algeria is fine. You wont have any issues there.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:55 am

if girls in Algeria look anywhere near as good as she does then you're up for a treat buddy....

Yeah, messing with the women in a muslim country is something that's actively encouraged. :D

More seriously, despite the obvious risks, provided you can get assurance of reasonable security arrangements I reckon you'd be ok. Life's full of risks and sometimes it's the one's we don't take that we regret the most.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:40 am

£400 a day aint enough to go to that hell hole of a country

far too dangerous, and you'll probably be put up in a ramshackled place to live, with the fear of kidnap every day mate

dont go, the monies sh'ite they are offering. you'd be better off on £1000 a day in afghanistan right now as a security consultant
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:42 am

Judge wrote:£400 a day aint enough to go to that hell hole of a country

far too dangerous, and you'll probably be put up in a ramshackled place to live, with the fear of kidnap every day mate

dont go, the monies sh'ite they are offering. you'd be better off on £1000 a day in afghanistan right now as a security consultant

??? erm safer in Afghanistan than Algeria, if you say so mate.  :lookaround
heimdall

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum