Tough Mudder - how to prepare myself

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:00 pm

So I've been talked into doing Tough Mudder and I've got like 7/8 weeks to train for this. I've started doing Insanity at home and might switch it up with P90X.. anyone trained for anything similar in the past?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:37 pm

I thought this was going to be a St. Patrick's Day related thread when  read the title  :p

I have a friend who does these types of races and he focussed on endurance first and then built his strength up.  Best of luck Bav.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:13 am

tubby » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:00 pm wrote:So I've been talked into doing Tough Mudder and I've got like 7/8 weeks to train for this. I've started doing Insanity at home and might switch it up with P90X.. anyone trained for anything similar in the past?

Bav, son... what have you got yerself into....?     :ghostface:      :laugh:  :laugh:

What's your current level of fitness? 

Assuming its drinking man takes on 5 mile run before passing out, nine weeks isn't enough time to get sort out your woes.

I'd focus on core strength plus breathing/aerobic, I'd say you need more endurance than strength. In short, bike, swim and run. The first two will build up your main muscle groups whilst giving your heart and lungs a good work out. Running is obvious. Do lots of sit ups and press ups and stretching on a daily basis. Diet, the more weight you lose the easier you'll find the training. The last month of the training you should be out there 6 days a week, aim for 3-4-5 in the build up to that. Remember, a lot of these challenges are in your head, get some good basic fitness which will give you confidence then mentally control the event.

Blimey Bav.....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:34 am

I've used P90x before, and I can honestly say it works.  They have you track your progress as you do it, and I did it religiously for like a year.  I started at University now and stopped for the past 8 months and lost all the muscle I gained unfortunately, but I was thrilled with how it was going.  Do P90X 1 tho, 2 seemed like they just wanted more money.

Great thing about it is that you can do P90X and still run, that's what I was doing for awhile.  Cross training a bit, and my dad who is a marathon runner and for whatever reason spends time researching this type of Sh*t said its ok and even good to work out your legs with lifting and run in the same day. 

Most important part is probably the endurance, so just keep building that up.  Run 3 or 4 times a week, increasing your distance or time.  Some runs go for time and a shorter distance, some for distance and a longer time, etc.

Good luck! I'm doing a mud run in a couple weeks as well.  I have no idea what I'll be doing tho, I just know a lot of alcohol is involved so it's probably not as crazy as yours.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Reg » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:39 am

A mud run and assault course exacerbates the lactic acid build up way past the normal levels created by going for a run, which is why I suggested a more rigorous swim/bike/run combo. Swimming is all about managing your breathing and oxygen levels (breath every stroke, every 4 or every 6 etc..) and cycling puts additional workloads on your quads - imagine the effort to go through mud etc..  But completely agree with you, endurance training is more important than strength at this point.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum