The wire - Best tv show bar none

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby The Good Yank » Tue May 04, 2010 8:07 am

I made sure I was parked in front of the TV every Sunday night to watch the first season.  Myself and my wife both loved the show.  But for some reason I didn't get into the second season, I watched the first two episodes and I felt lost.  I'm thinking of giving it another try on DVD (rapid fire,no week long breaks between episodes etc.)  I hope it's as good as everyone who has ever commented on it says it is.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Tue May 04, 2010 8:25 am

Second season was disappointment especially after the awesome first but third and fourth bounce it back to the top. Ive only just watched the fifth and found it more disappointing then the second
Last edited by laza on Tue May 04, 2010 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue May 04, 2010 9:28 am

i enjoyed the second series almost as much as the rest of them. maybe what's disappointing for some is that we don't get to see as much of some of the characters from the first series as we would like - but no problem, there's plenty of time for them coming up. i like the way the greeks and the dockers are introduced as their own kinds of ganglands, and that everybody everywhere is up for the game if they think there is something in it. some of the greek and longshoremen characters are really great too if you give them time.

we also see the first signs of the tensions between avon and stringer which go on to form one of the most important subplots of the whole thing.

its not as spectacular as the first series but it has its own gritty toughness that i found compelling.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:38 am

how it works:

0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 04, 2010 12:06 pm

dawson99 wrote:how it works:

Quality!  :buttrock

Goodyank, definitely stick with it, mate.  I think Season 2 has the slowest start of all five seasons, IMO, and it's such an alien environment from the one est. in Season 1 that it comes as a bit of a shock.  But, I'm with Andy--once you get to know some of the characters and start to see the way this story fits with the bigger picture, you'll enjoy the ride.  And trust me, by the end of the series you'll appreciate the groundwork laid in Season 2.   :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby tonyeh » Tue May 04, 2010 6:56 pm

For me, 3 and 4 were the weakest ones. Thought 4 was boring as hell.

Season 1 though, was the best tele is years.
tonyeh

Postby The Good Yank » Tue May 04, 2010 7:45 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Goodyank, definitely stick with it, mate.  I think Season 2 has the slowest start of all five seasons, IMO, and it's such an alien environment from the one est. in Season 1 that it comes as a bit of a shock.  But, I'm with Andy--once you get to know some of the characters and start to see the way this story fits with the bigger picture, you'll enjoy the ride.  And trust me, by the end of the series you'll appreciate the groundwork laid in Season 2.   :nod

I was thinking of going to Best Buy tonight and picking up season 2 on DVD.  On a whim I checked HBO on Demand, Season 2 is there, I guess I'll start watching tonight and I don't have to plunk down the cash for the DVD's, I'm psyched.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 04, 2010 9:45 pm

The Good Yank wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Goodyank, definitely stick with it, mate.  I think Season 2 has the slowest start of all five seasons, IMO, and it's such an alien environment from the one est. in Season 1 that it comes as a bit of a shock.  But, I'm with Andy--once you get to know some of the characters and start to see the way this story fits with the bigger picture, you'll enjoy the ride.  And trust me, by the end of the series you'll appreciate the groundwork laid in Season 2.   :nod

I was thinking of going to Best Buy tonight and picking up season 2 on DVD.  On a whim I checked HBO on Demand, Season 2 is there, I guess I'll start watching tonight and I don't have to plunk down the cash for the DVD's, I'm psyched.

Watch about 4-5 episodes on the trot, mate.  You'll be in the thick of it before you know it. :nod

Tony, Season 4 was perhaps my favourite season--I thought it was important to see how all these young hoppers become hoppers and I thought they did just enough of the Mayorial race to establish the political context without making it West Wing in the inner city.  Agree with you on Season 1, though--absolute monster of a season with no weak episodes.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby franciscosalzer » Thu May 06, 2010 10:39 pm

andy_g wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Heres a question to you lot. Was Rawls definatley gay? He was in a gay bar in one of the eps where that hench mate of Brother Mouzone was looking for Omar.

Anyway my favourate scene is from season 1 where McNulty and Bunk go to that 6 month old scene and solve the crime saying nothing fuc.k and combinations of f.uck over and over haha.

Many people didnt like s2 but I thought it was good. I was sad to see Frank Sabotka get killed the way he did.:(

Great ending though. I was fuming when Omar got killed as I was expecting him to ride of into the sunset but it was a nice ending to see Michael effectivley fit into his role as a stick up boy - shotty and all.

Quality show! Ranks along side Sopranos IMO

thanks for the fukkin king size spoiler, bav

:veryangry

dont be angry dude, he is just commenting... must understand new things now... like amazon affiliate programs easy to understand about...
Last edited by franciscosalzer on Fri May 07, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francisco Salzer
franciscosalzer

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum