The mclaren wars - Alonso vs hamilton

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Sabre » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:43 pm

Has anyone an opinion about this?

I preffer the motoGP with the likes of Rossi, Pedrosa and Hayden but I have a mild interest in Formula 1.

The press here defends Alonso, and I could see the English press defend Hamilton. What's your opinion about this? Do you like the Formula 1?
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:07 pm

I used to watch it but since Senna died they went so over the top with safety that there is hardly any overtaking anymore.

The sport is now soooooo boring. people look forward to the pit stop, you have races where overtaking is nearly impossible so what is the point?

From the little I know, Hamilton seems correct.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:07 pm

I watch both (with a bias towards the bikes) and to be honest, F1 has been boring since Schumacher dominated (supreme driver though he was) for so long. The safety measures are suffocating any spectacle there used to be and really, this Hamilton/Alonso saga is whats selling the sport atm. Pathetic as it sounds..'soap opera' is what F1 is fast becoming. There's little else happening to make it any more dynamic for pulling in the viewers.

Nice to see a British driver in his inaugural season doing well and all that, nice backstory behind it. To be honest i couldn't care less for patriotism blah blah. But quite honestly they are squeezing blood out of a stone trying to 'sensationalise' almost every aspect outside of the pit garage...its turning more farcical with each and every 'race'.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:40 pm

IMO Alonso is throwing his toys out of pram because a rookie is stealing his limelight.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:54 pm

i watch it but prefer massa and some of the other unpredictables. Everyone loves hamilton as hes the new brit whos class, but hes in the best car and is a cocky lil a hole.

not really a car fan at all, but like the old nascar
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:30 pm

used to watch F1 religously, not so much in recent years tho.....hardly at all these days..but keep up to date with it when i can be ars.ed

but the whole Hamilton vs Alonso thing was bound to happen, its funny how mcclaren tried to downplay it all in the media. what happened over the weekend was something they couldn't even try to cover up....hamilton did ignore team orders, and alonso was never gonna like that but his "retaliation" has not been that badly exaggerated as, say, if schumacher did it.....the british press from what ive seen/read tries to sympathize with lewis, but any kid who tells his boss who gave him his career to f**k off cant be completely guilt-free, he is young but there is a line.

with that and the whole cheating thing goin on, must be dramatic goin to work if you are in the mcclaren team.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:59 am

F1 is okay. I actually played football (when I was younger) and lived around the corner from Anthoney Davidson. He drives for Honda now, I think he is there 3rd or 4th choice driver. He did race in one of the GP's a month or so back, cant remember which one. His brother (Andrew) though is an absolute c0ck, and appeared on Big brother one time/

I'm not up to date with this Alonso/Hamilton business, but I'll back the Brit anyway. :D
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby RichardLFC1 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:09 am

I dont really watch it but Lewis is looking great. Its good that we have a great young english talent.

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Bammo » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:19 am

Despite most races being tedious I still watch all the races. The difference in the cars is ridiculous and is the main reason it ends up as a precession. They should try and standardise them, still allowing mechanics/engineers some leeway, so that races are closer. Some talented drivers never get near the front simply because of the car they're in.

Anthony Davidson drives for Super Aguri this season. He's doing reasonably well considering his car is about 4 seconds a lap slower than the leaders.

The whole Alonso/Hamilton debacle is a blessing in disguise for the sport. Now we have 2 drivers, equal cars, determined to race each other. Bad for McLaren, good for fans.

I can't help wanting Alonso to come out on top in all this. It's nothing to do with Hamilton himself, I have no problem with him. It's the hype surrounding him. Reminds me of Man Utd in the 90s. If he wins it's because he's great. If he loses it's because he must have a problem, or been cheated, as if it couldn't possibly be because another driver is faster on the day.

I'll keep watching but in terms of pure excitement touring cars is far more entertaining.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:04 pm

Off topic slightly but Mcclaren related nontheless:

Makes West Ham United's fine look like a blessing.
LFC2007

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:50 pm

it was funny at the weekend actually. on the front page of the sunday times the other day was a picture of the england- israel game from the day before and underneath was a big headline saying:

"police swoop on mclaren"

my first thoughts naturally were "blimey, what else can go wrong for the england manager?"  :laugh:  :laugh:
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 pm

Alonso vs hamilton is the best thing that's happened to F1 in years.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:35 pm

F1's lost a lot of its sparkle since Senna died and the regulators went into overdrive. The top cars are all so similar these days that team tactics have become more important than driver skill. I'm not saying that the current crop aren't as good as the likes of Senna, Hunt, Gilles Villeneuve etc, they probably ARE as talented its just that the sport now doesn't really let them express that ability

As for the current scandal I'm caught between wanting McLaren to come out on top so Hamilton can win the title for Britain, but on the other hand I'd like to see Alonso win it for Ferrari cos I've been Ferrari mad for over 30 years

My fave motorsport at the moment is the BTCC stuff - balls of steel and aggression oozing from every pore those guys. Oh, and Alfa Romeo compete in it which helps  :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:39 pm

Woollyback wrote:As for the current scandal I'm caught between wanting McLaren to come out on top so Hamilton can win the title for Britain, but on the other hand I'd like to see Alonso win it for Ferrari cos I've been Ferrari mad for over 30 years

??? They both race for Mcclaren.
LFC2007

Postby Woollyback » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:44 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
Woollyback wrote:As for the current scandal I'm caught between wanting McLaren to come out on top so Hamilton can win the title for Britain, but on the other hand I'd like to see Alonso win it for Ferrari cos I've been Ferrari mad for over 30 years

??? They both race for Mcclaren.

who am i talking about then, i'm drunk  :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum