The computer games thread - 56K Modem Warning/Image heavy

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby laza » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:47 pm

One amiga game  i loved was Emerald mines
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:52 pm

woof woof ! wrote:I've still got my amiga ,dig it out sometimes and play Speedball ,Chaos ebgine and a few others .Playing Space Hulk stoned in a darkend room still scares the sh'it out of me .  :wwww  :D

Space Hulk was a fantastic game....wait, still is!  :nod

The way the monsters sneak up on you from a darkened corridor, brilliant.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 76-1115222408 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:58 pm

Just copied and pasted this from the 'wasting time' thread that i posted a few weeks ago.
Found this site where you can download 'Sensible World of Soccer' 2 (96/97 season) that'll be good as Fowler should be potent..... :D

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=2697

I d/loaded it and installed it, it began to load and i saw the opening credits but for some reason went back to the desktop without actually fully loading up.....Talk about an ANTICLIMAX.....Dont know if i was supposed to be in 'DOS' mode for example or what!!

If any of you guys gets it working, PLEASE let me know if you did anything specific to do so!!
Last edited by 76-1115222408 on Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
76-1115222408

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:58 pm

old amiga game called north and south. u had horses, men and cannnons, sort of cartoon style, and there were bridges, and u had to hold up a train or something?

anyone have any idea what im on about?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Piewhack » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:58 pm

Absolutley excellent thread this!!

It's exactly what i needed to pass the bordem of work :)

And also a good place to skulk about until the season starts proper and the the decent posts start coming back on the general forum
Piewhack
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:58 pm

Syndicate was brilliant, as was Syndicate Wars, which I still occasionally play.

Bullfrog were a fanastic company. Their first game, Flood, was one of the first Amiga games I ever played. I loved Populous, but loved Powermonger even more and I reckon that I'm one of only 6 people alive who finished that game :D . Populous 2 was also great but then ullfrog went up a level and released Theme Park, Magic Carpet and Syndicate. Those were really groundbreaking games and I loved them all to death.

They probably reached their peak with Dungeon Keeper (still play it) before owner and general all round genius Peter Molyneux sold the company to Electronic Arts. EA released Populous: The Beginning and Dungeon Keeper 2 which was fantastic, before concentrating on a few abysmal Theme Park sequals.

I think Bullfrog are gone now but their legacy is continued by Lionhead Studios, where Molyneux has set up shop. I didn't like Black & White but Black and White 2 and the PC version of Fable look fantastic.

Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate and Magic Carpet are absolutely crying out for modern sequals.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:00 pm

dawson99 wrote:old amiga game called north and south. u had horses, men and cannnons, sort of cartoon style, and there were bridges, and u had to hold up a train or something?

Yes, I actually still play the PC version of it.

Class game....its extremely simple but there's a magical quality to it.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:02 pm

dawson99 wrote:old amiga game called north and south. u had horses, men and cannnons, sort of cartoon style, and there were bridges, and u had to hold up a train or something?

Bloody hell Dawsonio, now you're bringing back memories.

If I remember correctly, North and South was a funny cartoon game about the American Civil War. You can choose to play either side and in which year you want to start (important for yours and your opponent's strength). Then there are some other options to choose which add more or less random factors to the game. You move your armies around on a map and try to occupy the train stations. These are important for your money and if you've earned enough you can place a new army somewhere on the map.

The game demonstrates the Amiga's superiority over almost every other system. It was also released for the C-64 and the PC. Both versions feature much worse graphics and sound. While this is quite logical for the C-64, it is quite surprising for the PC from today's perspective. Even though the game was ported to the PC much later, the graphics are still really bad. Not to mention the sound...
Last edited by stmichael on Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Piewhack » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:03 pm

North and south!!!

I loved that game too!
Especially the battle parts, where you have to constantly switch to different battalians because you could only control one at a time!

Move the soliders!... oh no, here come's their calvary!!... quick switch to the cannon!!!  Damn.. held the space bar too long.. missed them.. quick, try again!! lol!
Piewhack
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:04 pm

Man like piehawk sais this is a greta thread, so many memories.....JBG you say you still play Syndicate Wars, HOW??  Is it on a PC or an old Amiga etc; ?

I need those little men going round and sorting out all my troubles as i put up taxes!!! :laugh:

PS TO ALL - A number of threads just got posted just before 1500hrs and you may have missed my last one, Sensible World Of Soccer for D/load!!!! 
Just thought that it was important to highlight that seen as it was such a huge game and many have mentioned it on this thread.....Just tryna help!!!  :D
Last edited by 76-1115222408 on Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
76-1115222408

Postby laza » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:06 pm

Piewhack wrote:How about Syndicate???
Now there was a great game if there ever was one!!!

I used to use the persuadeatron thingy and amass a huge group of zombified civillians and then burn them all with a flamethrower!!

HAHA, yes.. i was a sadistic child!!!

I forgotten all about syndicate, awesome game

Wings the WWI flying game was another that use to wile away alot of hours
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:06 pm

cant believe u lot remember it. it was pre-risk in the geeky nights when u had no money...love it
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:08 pm

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:14 pm

For computer games fans, I present to you one of the best websites on the net.

There are loads of stuff on it, take time to find some of the real golden oldies.

http://www.the-underdogs.org/
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:15 pm

The game I have been most addicted to in my life has to be Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64. 

I'm a big fan of all the Zelda games on any Nintendo format.
jonnymac1979

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum