The computer games thread - 56K Modem Warning/Image heavy

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby JBG » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:27 pm

Has anybody tried emulating old DOS games?

They can be extremely difficult to get up and running but there is an extremely good eumator now doing the rounds called "Dosbox" (put it into Google) which will help run most old games.

There is also an Amiga emulator called Amiga Forever which is excellent. However, in order to work it you need Kickstart ROMS. I bought the Kickstart roms for about a fiver years ago (they are still available in those Softkey range of cr.ap software you see in most computer shops). They can also, ahem, be "found" on the net, but legally you need to own the original.

Some of the old Amiga games are absolute mint, like Heimdall, Zool, Bubba n Stix, Xenon 2, Cadavar, The Chaos Engine 1 and 2, Gods etc. However, they can be difficult to play on a keyboard or on modern joypads or joysticks, so I'm looking out for an old Amiga style hard shaft (no sniggering please) joysticks which are the best way to play games like Kick Off 2 and Sensible Soccer.

The old Sega Saturn and Dreamcasts are really gaining a cult following and Saturn's now go for quite a lot of money on Ebay. Many of the Japanese games for both are supposed to be exceptional and I'm thinking of investing in a Dreamcast soon.

Has anybody got a Dreamcast? Its apparently a better piece of kit than the PS2.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Piewhack » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:40 pm

Yeah i've got two dreamcasts lying about the house, one japanese, the other the english version. 
The dreamcast was a quality piece of kit, which WAS better than the PS2 technically, it was just a shame it didn't get the same amount of support as the PS2 when it came to develpers.
Load up any Dreamcast game, and you will see that it runs smoother and also has a better resolution than any PS2 game.

On the topic of joysticks, you couldn't beat the Competition Pro.. that was the king of hard shafts!!! lol!
Piewhack
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Piewhack » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:28 pm

Whatever happened to the Bitmap Brothers??
They made some stunning games on the Amiga and Atari ST!
Speedball and Speedball 2 were classics, as were Xenon and Xenon 2!
Anyone remember the sataurday morning show MotorMouth??  they used to have xenon one as a phone in and play to win prizes game!
Piewhack
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:01 pm

Piewhack wrote:Whatever happened to the Bitmap Brothers??
Anyone remember the sataurday morning show MotorMouth??  they used to have xenon one as a phone in and play to win prizes game!

Agreed, Xenon 2 and Speed were ace, dunno what happened to them though.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:06 pm

Paul C wrote:
Piewhack wrote:Whatever happened to the Bitmap Brothers??

Agreed, Xenon 2 and Speed were ace, dunno what happened to them though.

Hell yea...Speedball 2......I think all I need to say is 'Ice Cream'  What a game....i have heard they are looking into making an updated version for the PC and possibly consoles too!!
76-1115222408

Postby hawkmoon269 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:19 pm

Battlefield 2.....amazing game.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:32 pm

The Bitmap Brothers were legendary in the days of 16 bit computing, with fantastic games like Cadavar, Xenon 1 & 2, Speedball 1 & 2, Gods, Magic Pockets, and Chaos Engine 1 & 2.

I'm not sure what happened but I think a few of the team left and the weren't as prolific on the PC or XBox/PS2. They released Z and Z: Steel Soldiers, and I think a cr.ap console remake of Speedball.

More recently they released the run of the mill WWII: Frontline Command.

How the mighty have fallen.  :(
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:32 pm

I've still got my amiga ,dig it out sometimes and play Speedball ,Chaos ebgine and a few others .Playing Space Hulk stoned in a darkend room still scares the sh'it out of me .  :wwww  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby laza » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:33 pm

Rome Total war, some strategy wargames  and lately Sid Meier classic Pirates which has been released.
Sailing those blue waters plundering and pillaging , just cant beat it :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:34 pm

How about Crash Bandicoot, class! :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:37 pm

Anyone tried any Napoleonic games lately , I read mixed reviews on the Cossacks Napoleonic release ,even though I'd been waiting for it I've held off buying it.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:40 pm

woof woof ! wrote:I've still got my amiga ,dig it out sometimes and play Speedball ,Chaos ebgine and a few others .Playing Space Hulk stoned in a darkend room still scares the sh'it out of me .  :wwww  :D

Amiga's were class. :buttrock

I was so addicted to games such as sensible soccer and lemmings it was bad for my health. :D

As for all time worst game - I'm not too sure, there are a few. Ants and Bravo Romeo Delta are two which spring to mind - pointless and mind numbing games. Another cr*ppy favorite of mine: TechnoCop.  Horrid control, amateurish graphics, choppy display... but darn, it's FUN!  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Piewhack » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:45 pm

How about Syndicate???
Now there was a great game if there ever was one!!!

I used to use the persuadeatron thingy and amass a huge group of zombified civillians and then burn them all with a flamethrower!!

HAHA, yes.. i was a sadistic child!!!
Piewhack
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:46 pm

woof woof ! wrote:stoned in a darkend

Hmmmmm stoned eh woof??

And it is always me thats comments about my posts regarding being 'stoned'.

I'm watching you now Woof  :p  Maybe thats why we always seem to be debating things almost to the pont of death!!  :laugh:

:D
Last edited by 76-1115222408 on Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
76-1115222408

Postby 76-1115222408 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:47 pm

Piewhack wrote:How about Syndicate???

Oh my god yes...SYNDICATE. It was by Bullfrog wasnt it?

What a game, used to love it!!!  Keep coming guts with the old skool games!!  Ahhhh Memories!!
76-1115222408

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum