Thatcher

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Boocity » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Kenny Kan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:47 am wrote:
So he stepped down and handed over the poisoned chalice to Brown who was too feckin' stupid to realise (despite being chancellor of the exchequer and having all the data to hand) that he was inheriting a time bomb that royally blew up in his face. No, but you're right mate, that was Maggie's fault wasn't it? 

And Brown was literally that feckin' stupid, he auctioned off almost 400 tonnes (half of Britain's reserves) of gold for US$3.5 billion by the end of 2002, they'd have been worth US$20 billion!!! in 2011. He sold the gold for knock down prices the feckin' tw@t! costing the taxpayer roughly 7 billion in the process. Even the Queen had a dig at him  :laugh:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... -gold-sale

Selling the gold reserves was criminal and don't forget the tax raid on private pensions while public sector pensions remained gold plated
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:23 pm

Boocity » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:28 pm wrote:
Kenny Kan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:47 am wrote:
So he stepped down and handed over the poisoned chalice to Brown who was too feckin' stupid to realise (despite being chancellor of the exchequer and having all the data to hand) that he was inheriting a time bomb that royally blew up in his face. No, but you're right mate, that was Maggie's fault wasn't it? 

And Brown was literally that feckin' stupid, he auctioned off almost 400 tonnes (half of Britain's reserves) of gold for US$3.5 billion by the end of 2002, they'd have been worth US$20 billion!!! in 2011. He sold the gold for knock down prices the feckin' tw@t! costing the taxpayer roughly 7 billion in the process. Even the Queen had a dig at him  :laugh:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... -gold-sale

Selling the gold reserves was criminal and don't forget the tax raid on private pensions while public sector pensions remained gold plated

Gordon Brown was the chancellor who introduced more taxes than any other chancellor on record. But it must not be forgotten that he saved the world !! His government were delighted to boast growth and reductions in debt. Unfortunately it was achieved with a lot of very false money and we are now suffering the consequences. Thatcher was responsible for deregulating the banks and the Labour party did absolutely nothing to change that and we now have to listen to people congratulating Brown on introducing a system to rectify a mess that his government was largely responsible for.Thirteen years in power and they still blame the previous government. I'm no fan of politicians who do their very utmost to lie their way out of most things.Look no further than Chris Huhne for evidence of that. The expenses debacle showed a lot of them to be nothing more than greed obsessed thieves and they exist in all parties.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Dalglish » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:30 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 76825.html

Good article on the Party Political Broadcast conducted by the Conservative Party today.................otherwise known as Margaret Thatcher's funeral ! :glare:

Clement Atlee rebuilt a ravaged Britain post WW2, created the NHS and had a modest funeral with 140 guests.............Says it all really !
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:50 am

Reg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:35 am wrote:Yakka, read this (note its written in 2004, not recent). http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/3067563.stm

Ken, I'd say the MASSIVE number of tributes and the massive media coverage kinda hints at how the majority feel and rated her achievements so by definition, the balance objectors are a minority.

The nature of communism, the unions etc.. is to never admit weakness or fault (sounds like my wife) hence the concept of Us v's Them will live forever. The little man despite being a bully will always blame the other.

But that's just it. My reply is as many in northern Britain is lost. Our response simply doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what we say, everything that is decided is governed by the south. The Hillsborough affair, the south simply didn't give a damn, and the only reason the truth has come out now, and lets be honest here, is simply because everyone is too old to be charged.

I mentioned the Olympics etc simply because that's a southern thing, ask anyone in the north if they give a damn, THEY DONT ! Many in the north want a republic, but who cares? we are the north. What we want doesn't matter.

And Thatcher, if any politician had the balls to ask what northerners wanted, oh wait they didn't, and with good reason.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:18 am

Sorry mate but I don't think you're looking at it logically.

In the past, the North East and Scotland was ship building, steel, coal and machinery manufacturing hence a political base. The Midlands was steel and general manufacturing and the South, agriculture, army and navy, and general light industry. Probably in the 1900-1950 period therefore a balance spread of industry with influence higher in the midlands and north. But things change and Britain didn't develop, invest or evolve and we lost competitiveness whilst at the same time, we had cronic union paralysis as they tried to maintain things as they were in denial of evolution. The coal miners even went on strike during WW2 which p.issed the armed services off no end.

As the industrial base declined, the financial base strengthened and replaced lost income and created jobs. The preferred location of this was the City, not Birmingham, Rochdale nor Strathclyde - our history elevated London as the centre of the empire so thats understandable. So you can't say the north doesn't have a role to play or that folks don't listen to us, it's just that we declined in influence and haven't found a way to reassert ourselves (in a positive way, not through tribalism...).

Politically, there is a way over representation of Scottish MP's and Minsters if you consider their population, a staggering number of Jocks in senior positions. That northern politicians have not been successful in climbing the ladder is their own fault. Frank Field is a superb MP, a real fighter for the people but is marginalised because he is not prepared to compromise. Since then northern MP's lean towards left wing which again alienates them from the southern power base.

I do not accept the north is hard done by. We have the same opportunities as the Germans, French and Italians. The success of the car industry is a great example of if we can find the investment, we're as competitive as anyone. We're educated, skilled, productive and loyal but the far east are willing to work longer hours for less pay and if we don't become more dynamic things will only become more difficult, not easier.

You focus on the Olympics, I don't - its like looking at the plans of a new building and asking if there'll be an ashtray - irrelevant . I watched the games from abroad and was as proud as hell. A fantastic success and showed the UK in a great light. If sad, miserable, whinging tw@ts in the north want to cry because they weren't held in Scunthorpe then you can see how fast society is degenerating.

These whingers should be studying manufacturing, modern materials, unit construction techniques to bring economically viable ship building back to the north east. Identify the best added value manufacturing products that can compete in the global market and create jobs, how come the Germans are still such great manufacturers and exporters but we're not?

What we're discussing here is the mental attitude of 'can do' against 'support for life' - which is what Margaret Thatcher fought against, Ronnie Reagan fought against and successive Labour governments have undone ever since. We must create wealth through being the best. If the UKIP gain influence it will be on this ticket. We can do it, but folks need to convince themselves of that before taking the first step.

By the way, in your new republic... how are you going to create wealth?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:25 am

Hey, where's Red Yakka?   :oops:  :eyebrow  :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:53 am

Reg » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:18 am wrote:Sorry mate but I don't think you're looking at it logically.

In the past, the North East and Scotland was ship building, steel, coal and machinery manufacturing hence a political base. The Midlands was steel and general manufacturing and the South, agriculture, army and navy, and general light industry. Probably in the 1900-1950 period therefore a balance spread of industry with influence higher in the midlands and north. But things change and Britain didn't develop, invest or evolve and we lost competitiveness whilst at the same time, we had cronic union paralysis as they tried to maintain things as they were in denial of evolution. The coal miners even went on strike during WW2 which p.issed the armed services off no end.

As the industrial base declined, the financial base strengthened and replaced lost income and created jobs. The preferred location of this was the City, not Birmingham, Rochdale nor Strathclyde - our history elevated London as the centre of the empire so thats understandable. So you can't say the north doesn't have a role to play or that folks don't listen to us, it's just that we declined in influence and haven't found a way to reassert ourselves (in a positive way, not through tribalism...).

Politically, there is a way over representation of Scottish MP's and Minsters if you consider their population, a staggering number of Jocks in senior positions. That northern politicians have not been successful in climbing the ladder is their own fault. Frank Field is a superb MP, a real fighter for the people but is marginalised because he is not prepared to compromise. Since then northern MP's lean towards left wing which again alienates them from the southern power base.

I do not accept the north is hard done by. We have the same opportunities as the Germans, French and Italians. The success of the car industry is a great example of if we can find the investment, we're as competitive as anyone. We're educated, skilled, productive and loyal but the far east are willing to work longer hours for less pay and if we don't become more dynamic things will only become more difficult, not easier.

You focus on the Olympics, I don't - its like looking at the plans of a new building and asking if there'll be an ashtray - irrelevant . I watched the games from abroad and was as proud as hell. A fantastic success and showed the UK in a great light. If sad, miserable, whinging tw@ts in the north want to cry because they weren't held in Scunthorpe then you can see how fast society is degenerating.

These whingers should be studying manufacturing, modern materials, unit construction techniques to bring economically viable ship building back to the north east. Identify the best added value manufacturing products that can compete in the global market and create jobs, how come the Germans are still such great manufacturers and exporters but we're not?

What we're discussing here is the mental attitude of 'can do' against 'support for life' - which is what Margaret Thatcher fought against, Ronnie Reagan fought against and successive Labour governments have undone ever since. We must create wealth through being the best. If the UKIP gain influence it will be on this ticket. We can do it, but folks need to convince themselves of that before taking the first step.

By the way, in your new republic... how are you going to create wealth?

:buttrock
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:21 am

Dalglish » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:30 pm wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/margaret-thatchers-funeral-was-a-political-broadcast-8576825.html

Good article on the Party Political Broadcast conducted by the Conservative Party today.................otherwise known as Margaret Thatcher's funeral ! :glare:

Clement Atlee rebuilt a ravaged Britain post WW2, created the NHS and had a modest funeral with 140 guests.............Says it all really !

The irony being she never wanted a state funeral.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:46 am

Reg » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:18 am wrote: how come the Germans are still such great manufacturers and exporters but we're not?

probably because their manufacturing base wasn't destroyed
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Reg » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:02 am

supersub » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:46 pm wrote:
Reg » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:18 am wrote: how come the Germans are still such great manufacturers and exporters but we're not?

'destroyed' - you couldn't be on about the war? or by the unions, so you must mean by Maggie?  I didn't realise Swan matches in Speke closed because of Maggie, I thought it was because of cheap disposable lighters, automatic sparkers on ovens, a drop in smoking and cheaper foreign matches. Leyland Buses and Leyland Trucks up in Lancashire (my first job by the way) closed because of Maggie or because of lack of investment to keep ahead (nationalised wasn't it?), superior foreign models and cheaper prices? and Cammell Laird lost their ship building (though the Navy sponsored them for years to keep them afloat) because of Maggie or because of Korean/Japanese competition and a lack of investment in modern unit construction techniques? Apart from that mate, you're right.

There'll be exceptions but just about every factory that closed did so because Britain stopped investing on modern manufacturing and cheaper and better foreign alternatives stole their market.

And whatsmore, Brazil and Germany win world cups because they want to win it more than our lads.  :D
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:14 am

supersub » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:46 am wrote:

The unions can look at themselves if they want to find blame for that
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Reg » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:02 am wrote:
supersub » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:46 pm wrote:

'destroyed' - you couldn't be on about the war? or by the unions, so you must mean by Maggie?  I didn't realise Swan matches in Speke closed because of Maggie, I thought it was because of cheap disposable lighters, automatic sparkers on ovens, a drop in smoking and cheaper foreign matches. Leyland Buses and Leyland Trucks up in Lancashire (my first job by the way) closed because of Maggie or because of lack of investment to keep ahead (nationalised wasn't it?), superior foreign models and cheaper prices? and Cammell Laird lost their ship building (though the Navy sponsored them for years to keep them afloat) because of Maggie or because of Korean/Japanese competition and a lack of investment in modern unit construction techniques? Apart from that mate, you're right.

There'll be exceptions but just about every factory that closed did so because Britain stopped investing on modern manufacturing and cheaper and better foreign alternatives stole their market.

And whatsmore, Brazil and Germany win world cups because they want to win it more than our lads.  :D

Germany has had consistent national backing though Reg, while we Brit Luddites washed our hands with manufacturing and turned to paper shuffling, Germany began to re-invest in it's manufacturing industry.

1. Strong national commitment to manufacturing:
Successive German governments have been clear on and consistent in their support for the manufacturing sector and this has helped build the framework that has provided both national champions with a global footprint and the mittelstand. As part of this support the German government has provided or facilitated incentives and subsidies for manufacturing with a focus on the development of key sectors. The obvious example being the massive growth of the automotive sector and world leading vehicle brands in Germany compared to the relative decline of automotive in the UK. To support the sector there are strong connections between industry and Universities and this has helped manufacturers develop world leading processes and products. The German system of research institutes stems back to the Kaiser Wilhelm institutes of the 19th century and continues today. Perhaps because of the success of the sector engineering is recognised as one of the leading career options and company CEOs tend to be engineers rather than finance trained people. 

4. Employee "voice" and loyalty:
German employees enjoy a high rate of pay and a high level of job security which seems to be part of the national culture. In times of stress German companies will try to use work-sharing (kuzarbeit) rather than making significant job cuts which in turn helps maintain loyalty and all important skills within the workforce. Union influence is still significant within the private sector in Germany and in larger companies half of all seats on supervisory boards are reserved for employee representatives - and through this the workforce enjoys considerable veto power. However, the workforce appears to exercise their power responsibly and have been a key part of the success of the sector.

http://www.bdo.uk.com/talk-shop/vorspru ... tom-lawton

They make us Brits look stupid.  :(
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:06 pm

gordon brown f##ked up selling the gold but it was nothing compared to the almighty f##k up thatcher made of north sea oil.
price waterhouse coopers (hardly a left wing organisation) recently released a report saying that the u.k should have had a sovereign wealth fund bigger than quatar and the U.A.E but thatcher used the oil money to give the rich huge tax breaks and to pay for her de-industrialisation policy in the north/scotland/south wales.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby tonyeh » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:12 pm

Benny The Noon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:14 am wrote:
supersub » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:46 am wrote:

Eh..no. You can lay that at Thatchers door. Did she really have to completely destroy whole industries, just to eliminate unions?
tonyeh

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:20 pm

tonyeh » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:12 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:14 am wrote:

Eh..no. You can lay that at Thatchers door. Did she really have to completely destroy whole industries, just to eliminate unions?

But that's not why she did it - the industry was costing the country billions each year - they weren't thriving , they were struggling badly whilst the unions demanded more and more money from the country - our taxes.

Coal , Steel etc were unsustainable industries at the time due to high wages ( due to unions demands ) , high costs of the manufacturing - and there were cheaper alternatives.

The country couldn't afford to subsidise the coal or steal industry - unless taxes were raised or the unions reduced demands.

Thatcher did what she did because the unions had ground the country into decline because Labour bowed down to their demands.

The problem was the way she went about it
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum