Stop me oh-ho-ho stop me, if you think.. - That you've heard this one before.

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby bigmick » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:42 am

We had the fella in the pub last night who does the quiz. He brought this thing in and the lads loved it. If you haven't seen it, give it a go.
Some of the answers are stretching the point a bit but it's a bit of fun anyhow.

Find 35 English and Scottish football teams in this story (In other words, fill in the gaps).

The sun shone ----------- the day my sister, mother and I set sail for the ----------- in a very old ship. Its ----------- was already ridden with holes. The four ----------- members who had been with the company for years were Don, Mont, Kirk and Bart. Bart couldn't speak, and also hid his baldness by wearing a ----------- on his --------------. Not having being paid ----------- too long they were unhappy and disillusioned and had obtained arms from the ships ----------- and mutinied.

Although they treated my ------------ they did not like my sister at all so --------------- adrift on a raft. I was terrified and hid behind my cabin door with the -----------. They then proceeded to raid the ships larder, but found nothing other than a rotting ----------. They were so hungry they ate the
----------- before quenching their thirsts from the drinks cabinet. Finding it didn't ---------- they took a small drink of whisky.

"Right" said Kirk, "I'll climb the rigging and look for land", "Careful you don't -----------" said his mate. Meanwhile the others had found a ----------- treasure, it was pretty easy to open as the chain had only one --------- At this moment, the ship hit a rock and began to sink. ---------- quickly to his feet and shouted "get ---------- deck I need them both to give me a hand". Together they lifted the ---------- to a raft. "Don't let your muskets get wet" said Kirk as the sea water ----------.

They drifted on for days and days until at last they spotted an Island.The tide carried them right into the ------------- where they came to a halt. The place was deserted which was very surprising as a brand ------------ had just been built, it was very tall and grand.There had been a huge fire at soem point because siome of the walls of the buildings had ------------ on them and the stench of smoke still filled the -----------, it absolutely broke our ------------ to see the disarray. "I wonder where this road ----------" said Kirk, and although we were very tired we --------- to the ------------- of the island in search for survivors.

Before we could -------- the dead we decided to build a fire, it took a lot to --------- it but it was badly needed to ward off the --------- which had been roaming the island. Then we slipped and we found ourselves tumbling into a deep hole with a thick ---------- of water at the bottom. At this moment I woke up and it had all been a dream (surprise surprise). "------------- my cocoa before I get into bed and then drink it up" I though to myself. From now on, you won't find me --------- Treasure island before I go to sleep.

Apparantly theres 35 teams there. Obviously I haven't counted out the number of dashes---- to correspond with the number of letters in the team names. Give it a go and I'll help if you get stuck. Like I say, some of 'em are stretching the point a bit.

You might want to have a go yourself before you scroll down. Kazz has had a good effort a bit further on and Bamaga got a couple as well.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:55 am

Give us a clue Mick, like the first line as an example
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:59 am

The sun shone ----------- the day my sister, mother and I set sail for the ----------- in a very old ship. Its HULL was already ridden with holes. The four CREWE members who had been with the company for years were Don, Mont, Kirk and Bart. Bart couldn't speak, and also hid his baldness by wearing a WIGAN on his --------------. Not having being paid ----------- too long they were unhappy and disillusioned and had obtained arms from the ships ----------- and mutinied.

Although they treated my MOTHERWELL they did not like my sister at all so --------------- adrift on a raft. I was terrified and hid behind my cabin door with the -----------. They then proceeded to raid the ships larder, but found nothing other than a rotting ----------. They were so hungry they ate the
----------- before quenching their thirsts from the drinks cabinet. Finding it didn't ---------- they took a small drink of whisky.

"Right" said Kirk, "I'll climb the rigging and look for land", "Careful you don't FALKIRK " said his mate. Meanwhile the others had found a CHESTER treasure, it was pretty easy to open as the chain had only one --------- At this moment, the ship hit a rock and began to sink. ---------- quickly to his feet and shouted "get ---------- deck I need them both to give me a hand". Together they lifted the ---------- to a raft. "Don't let your muskets get wet" said Kirk as the sea water ----------.

They drifted on for days and days until at last they spotted an Island.The tide carried them right into the ------------- where they came to a halt. The place was deserted which was very surprising as a brand ------------ had just been built, it was very tall and grand.There had been a huge fire at soem point because siome of the walls of the buildings had ------------ on them and the stench of smoke still filled the -----------, it absolutely broke our ------------ to see the disarray. "I wonder where this road ----------" said Kirk, and although we were very tired we --------- to the ------------- of the island in search for survivors.

Before we could -------- the dead we decided to build a fire, it took a lot to --------- it but it was badly needed to ward off the --------- which had been roaming the island. Then we slipped and we found ourselves tumbling into a deep hole with a thick ---------- of water at the bottom. At this moment I woke up and it had all been a dream (surprise surprise). "------------- my cocoa before I get into bed and then drink it up" I though to myself. From now on, you won't find me --------- Treasure island before I go to sleep

Wigan, Motherwell, Hull, Falkirk, Chester, Crewe  so far   :upside:
66-1112520797

Postby kazza 1 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:17 am

The sun shone BRIGHTON the day my sister, mother and I set sail for the CLYDE in a very old ship. Its HULL was already ridden with holes. The four CREWE members who had been with the company for years were Don, Mont, Kirk and Bart. Bart couldn't speak, and also hid his baldness by wearing a WIGAN on his BARNET. Not having being paid FORFAR too long they were unhappy and disillusioned and had obtained arms from the ship ARSENAL and mutinied.

Although they treated my MOTHERWELL they did not like my sister at all so DONCASTER adrift on a raft. I was terrified and hid behind my cabin door with the -----------. They then proceeded to raid the ships larder, but found nothing other than a rotting ----------. They were so hungry they ate the
----------- before quenching their thirsts from the drinks cabinet. Finding it didn't FULHAM they took a small drink of whisky.

"Right" said Kirk, "I'll climb the rigging and look for land", "Careful you don't FALKIRK" said his mate. Meanwhile the others had found a CHESTER treasure, it was pretty easy to open as the chain had only one LINCON. At this moment, the ship hit a rock and began to sink. MONTROSE quickly to his feet and shouted "get ---------- deck I need them both to give me a hand". Together they lifted the ---------- to a raft. "Don't let your muskets get wet" said Kirk as the sea water ----------.

They drifted on for days and days until at last they spotted an Island.The tide carried them right into the ------------- where they came to a halt. The place was deserted which was very surprising as a brand NEWCASTLE had just been built, it was very tall and grand.There had been a huge fire at some point because some of the walls of the buildings had ------------ on them and the stench of smoke still filled the -----------, it absolutely broke our HEARTS to see the disarray. "I wonder where this road LEEDS" said Kirk, and although we were very tired we --------- to the ------------- of the island in search for survivors.

Before we could BURY the dead we decided to build a fire, it took a lot to --------- it but it was badly needed to ward off the WOLVES which had been roaming the island. Then we slipped and we found ourselves tumbling into a deep hole with a thick ---------- of water at the bottom. At this moment I woke up and it had all been a dream (surprise surprise). "------------- my cocoa before I get into bed and then drink it up" I though to myself. From now on, you won't find me READING Treasure island before I go to sleep.

Brighton, Barnet, Forfar, Arsenal, Doncaster, Fulham, Lincon, Montrose Newcastle, Leeds, Hearts, Bury, Wolves and Reading are the ones I have got. Its doing my head in :upside: Clyde is a bit of a guess and probabley not right!!!!
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:15 pm

Some good efforts there. A couple of mistakes which might as well be pointed out now, the ship set sail for the ORIENT and not the CLYDE. And the drinks cabinet, finding it didn't STOCKPORT of course, not FULHAM although the Craven Cottagers do appear in another space.

Just to throw another one into the equation, the fire in the last paragraph. Well it took a lot to STOKE it of course. Good luck :D
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:44 pm

nice one mick. why have i got the godfather music running around in my head :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Red Baron » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:39 pm

26 and a headache
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:18 pm

Tenty six is bloody good Red. There's a couple that are real groan inducers but as you haven't put up the ones you've got I can't really help. Did you get the "they found nothing but a rotting OLDHAM, they were so hungry that they ate the FULHAM? Or that I hid behind the cabin door with the BOLTON? Or that the buildings had BLACKBURN on them? It really is a fecker once you start on it.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Red Baron » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:36 pm

Got them Mick,now on 28 might retire for the day :D
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Red Baron » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:38 pm

The sun shone BRIGHTON----------- the day my sister, mother and I set sail for the ORIENT----------- in a very old ship. Its --HULL--------- was already ridden with holes. The four CREWE----------- members who had been with the company for years were Don, Mont, Kirk and Bart. Bart couldn't speak, and also hid his baldness by wearing a -WIG0N---------- on his -BARNET-------------. Not having being paid -FORFAR---------- too long they were unhappy and disillusioned and had obtained arms from the ships -ARSENAL---------- and mutinied.

Although they treated myMOTHERWELL ------------ they did not like my sister at all so DONCASTER--------------- adrift on a raft. I was terrified and hid behind my cabin door with the BOLTON-----------. They then proceeded to raid the ships larder, but found nothing other than a rotting OLDHAM---------. They were so hungry they ate the
-FULHAM---------- before quenching their thirsts from the drinks cabinet. Finding it didn't -STOCKPORT--------- they took a small drink of whisky.

"Right" said Kirk, "I'll climb the rigging and look for land", "Careful you don't FALKIRK-----------" said his mate. Meanwhile the others had found a -CHESTER---------- treasure, it was pretty easy to open as the chain had only one LINCOLN--------- At this moment, the ship hit a rock and began to sink. MONTROSE---------- quickly to his feet and shouted "get ---------- deck I need them both to give me a hand". Together they lifted the -LUTON--------- to a raft. "Don't let your muskets get wet" said Kirk as the sea water ----------.

They drifted on for days and days until at last they spotted an Island.The tide carried them right into the PORTSMOUTH------------- where they came to a halt. The place was deserted which was very surprising as a brand -NEWCASTLE----------- had just been built, it was very tall and grand.There had been a huge fire at soem point because siome of the walls of the buildings had -BLACKBURN----------- on them and the stench of smoke still filled the ---AYR--------, it absolutely broke our -HEARTS----------- to see the disarray. "I wonder where this road -LEEDS---------" said Kirk, and although we were very tired we --------- to the ------------- of the island in search for survivors.

Before we could -BURY------- the dead we decided to build a fire, it took a lot to STOKE--------- it but it was badly needed to ward off the -WOLVES-------- which had been roaming the island. Then we slipped and we found ourselves tumbling into a deep hole with a thick BLACKPOOL---------- of water at the bottom. At this moment I woke up and it had all been a dream (surprise surprise). "------------- my cocoa before I get into bed and then drink it up" I though to myself. From now on, you won't find me READING--------- Treasure island before I go to sleep.
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:39 pm

I've just cut and pasted Kazza's so I don't duplicate her good work (adding Mick's hints in as well)...

The sun shone BRIGHTON the day my sister, mother and I set sail for the ORIENT in a very old ship. Its HULL was already ridden with holes. The four CREWE members who had been with the company for years were Don, Mont, Kirk and Bart. Bart couldn't speak, and also hid his baldness by wearing a WIGAN on his BARNET. Not having being paid FORFAR too long they were unhappy and disillusioned and had obtained arms from the ship ARSENAL and mutinied.

Although they treated my MOTHERWELL they did not like my sister at all so DONCASTER adrift on a raft. I was terrified and hid behind my cabin door with the BOLTON. They then proceeded to raid the ships larder, but found nothing other than a rotting OLDHAM. They were so hungry they ate the
FULHAM before quenching their thirsts from the drinks cabinet. Finding it didn't-------they took a small drink of whisky.

"Right" said Kirk, "I'll climb the rigging and look for land", "Careful you don't FALKIRK" said his mate. Meanwhile the others had found a CHESTER treasure, it was pretty easy to open as the chain had only one LINCOLN. At this moment, the ship hit a rock and began to sink. MONTROSE quickly to his feet and shouted "get DONBARTON(???) deck I need them both to give me a hand". Together they lifted the ---------- to a raft. "Don't let your muskets get wet" said Kirk as the sea water ----------.

They drifted on for days and days until at last they spotted an Island.The tide carried them right into the PORTSMOUTH where they came to a halt. The place was deserted which was very surprising as a brand NEWCASTLE had just been built, it was very tall and grand.There had been a huge fire at some point because some of the walls of the buildings had BLACKBURN on them and the stench of smoke still filled the AYR, it absolutely broke our HEARTS to see the disarray. "I wonder where this road LEEDS" said Kirk, and although we were very tired we --------- to the ------------- of the island in search for survivors.

Before we could BURY the dead we decided to build a fire, it took a lot to STOKE it but it was badly needed to ward off the WOLVES which had been roaming the island. Then we slipped and we found ourselves tumbling into a deep hole with a thick POOL of water at the bottom. At this moment I woke up and it had all been a dream (surprise surprise). "------------- my cocoa before I get into bed and then drink it up" I though to myself. From now on, you won't find me READING Treasure island before I go to sleep.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby bigmick » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:01 pm

Dunbarton? Unbelieveable but true Bob. Probably the second most ridiculous one on there in my view. Baron was correct though, it's BLACKPOOL not POOL. 'Course, you can't let the sea water get on your muskets 'cos it WREXHAM doesn't it? Feck me you couldn't make it up could you? :p :laugh:
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:56 pm

bigmick wrote:Dunbarton? Unbelieveable but true Bob. Probably the second most ridiculous one on there in my view. Baron was correct though, it's BLACKPOOL not POOL. 'Course, you can't let the sea water get on your muskets 'cos it WREXHAM doesn't it? Feck me you couldn't make it up could you? :p :laugh:

Alright, Mick, time for another go...

The sun shone BRIGHTON the day my sister, mother and I set sail for the ORIENT in a very old ship. Its HULL was already ridden with holes. The four CREWE members who had been with the company for years were Don, Mont, Kirk and Bart. Bart couldn't speak, and also hid his baldness by wearing a WIGAN on his BARNET. Not having being paid FORFAR too long they were unhappy and disillusioned and had obtained arms from the ship ARSENAL and mutinied.

Although they treated my MOTHERWELL they did not like my sister at all so DONCASTER adrift on a raft. I was terrified and hid behind my cabin door with the BOLTON. They then proceeded to raid the ships larder, but found nothing other than a rotting OLDHAM. They were so hungry they ate the
FULHAM before quenching their thirsts from the drinks cabinet. Finding it didn't STOCKPORT they took a small drink of whisky.

"Right" said Kirk, "I'll climb the rigging and look for land", "Careful you don't FALKIRK" said his mate. Meanwhile the others had found a CHESTER treasure, it was pretty easy to open as the chain had only one LINCOLN. At this moment, the ship hit a rock and began to sink. MONTROSE quickly to his feet and shouted "get DUNBARTON deck I need them both to give me a hand". Together they lifted the CHESTERFIELD to a raft. "Don't let your muskets get wet" said Kirk as the sea water WREXHAM.

They drifted on for days and days until at last they spotted an Island.The tide carried them right into the PORTSMOUTH where they came to a halt. The place was deserted which was very surprising as a brand NEWCASTLE had just been built, it was very tall and grand.There had been a huge fire at some point because some of the walls of the buildings had BLACKBURN on them and the stench of smoke still filled the AYR, it absolutely broke our HEARTS to see the disarray. "I wonder where this road LEEDS" said Kirk, and although we were very tired we RUSHDEN to the SOUTHEND of the island in search for survivors.

Before we could BURY the dead we decided to build a fire, it took a lot to STOKE it but it was badly needed to ward off the WOLVES which had been roaming the island. Then we slipped and we found ourselves tumbling into a deep hole with a thick BLACKPOOL of water at the bottom. At this moment I woke up and it had all been a dream (surprise surprise). "------------- my cocoa before I get into bed and then drink it up" I though to myself. From now on, you won't find me READING Treasure island before I go to sleep.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby bigmick » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:04 pm

Hey really good Bob mate. Rushden works but the quiz bloke had it as PRESTON. CHESTERFIELD is wrong, it's actually a team which Liverpool overcame in a cup competition recently. As for the one space you've got, this is by far the most ridiculous one on the whole exercise. Think a club where one of our less illustrious front players of recent years came from. Absolute top effort though mate I've got to say.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:05 pm

Is the final blank "Stirling", Mick?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to General Chat Forum