Players of past

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby miniman » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:34 pm

I am in a "discusion" with a friend out of work, does anyone remember an x player called Avi Cohen who used to play for LIVERPOOL and also what nationality is Ronnie Rosenthal. Your help in this matter would be greatly recieved.
"Football is not a matter of life and death, it's much more important than that"
miniman

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:46 pm

Yes , I remember Avi Cohen , played for us late 70's early 80's don't know what happend to him , he only made 15 - 20 appearances.

Ronnie Rosenthal is/was an Isreali national.

Try Google for more info .
:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:55 pm

Israeli international Avi Cohen was signed by Bob Paisley from Maccabi Tel Aviv for £200,000 in May 1979.
Cohen made his Reds debut at left back in September 1979 at Elland Road in 1-1 draw with Leeds United but continued to be on the verge of the first team and was mainly used as a covering player for injuries.

In the final game of the 1978-80 season Cohen was part of the Liverpool team that clinched the Championship against Aston Villa at Anfield. He had earlier scored an own goal in front of the Kop to give Villa an equaliser but in the second half made amends when he scored at the same end to put the Reds 2-1 up, and eventually clinch the title in style with a 4-1 win.

However, he didn't win a championship medal as he had only played four games that season. The following season Cohen found himself still behind Alan Kennedy in the pecking order for the left back slot and also faced competition from Richard Money, who was equally capable of covering at in that position.

He left Anfield after his contract was cancelled in November 1981 and he returned to Israel. He later moved on to play for Rangers under Graeme Souness in May 1987.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby miniman » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:56 pm

Thanks mate that has cleared things up. Although I did not know Ronnie was an Isreali
"Football is not a matter of life and death, it's much more important than that"
miniman

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:59 pm

miniman wrote:Thanks mate that has cleared things up. Although I did not know Ronnie was an Isreali

The name might have given you a clue   :D   :D   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby miniman » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:00 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Image

Israeli international Avi Cohen was signed by Bob Paisley from Maccabi Tel Aviv for £200,000 in May 1979.
Cohen made his Reds debut at left back in September 1979 at Elland Road in 1-1 draw with Leeds United but continued to be on the verge of the first team and was mainly used as a covering player for injuries.

In the final game of the 1978-80 season Cohen was part of the Liverpool team that clinched the Championship against Aston Villa at Anfield. He had earlier scored an own goal in front of the Kop to give Villa an equaliser but in the second half made amends when he scored at the same end to put the Reds 2-1 up, and eventually clinch the title in style with a 4-1 win.

However, he didn't win a championship medal as he had only played four games that season. The following season Cohen found himself still behind Alan Kennedy in the pecking order for the left back slot and also faced competition from Richard Money, who was equally capable of covering at in that position.

He left Anfield after his contract was cancelled in November 1981 and he returned to Israel. He later moved on to play for Rangers under Graeme Souness in May 1987.

I bow to your vast superior knowledge. I am in the presence ( so to speak) of greatness
miniman

Postby Dom1 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:11 pm

stop kissin leons a.ss :D
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Postby Mikz » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:25 pm

:D memories. Avi had style. But Rocket Ronnie Rosenthal -who could forget him? He exploded onto the scene,became a supersub in his own right too. Ill never forget him clean through,open goal-Hits the crossbar  :laugh:
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby miniman » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:47 pm

Dom you must never be off this site ? How do you find the time?
And Mikz very unfair.
miniman

Postby Dom1 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:58 pm

im not on here often, but ive had a free day with no work or uni so i have hung around all day, but in my defence i havent posted much today!!
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Return to General Chat Forum