Oi speccy four eyes! - Any of you had laser eye surgery?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby fivecups » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:39 pm

I had it done yesterday, crazy experience. I've gone from being almost blind to have better than 20:20 vision in less than 24 hours. Amazing.

My visions still a bit blurred but apparently thats to be expected at this stage as my cornea is still healing. It's a great feeling to be able to see without having my vision framed by glasses (I couldn't tolerate contacts).

Anyone else had it done?
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:46 pm

I wanted to do it, but my eye doctor advised me not to because my vision is still not fixed. He told me to wait for another couple of years. I had a couple of friends who did it and told me it felt good.

now I'm jealous.. hate wearing glasses and got bored of wearing contacts
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby worcester_red » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:57 pm

fivecups wrote:I had it done yesterday, crazy experience. I've gone from being almost blind to have better than 20:20 vision in less than 24 hours. Amazing.

My visions still a bit blurred but apparently thats to be expected at this stage as my cornea is still healing. It's a great feeling to be able to see without having my vision framed by glasses (I couldn't tolerate contacts).

Anyone else had it done?

Do you mind if I ask how old you are? the reason I ask is that I'm 37 and when I went for a consultation a few years ago they told me that I'd probably need glasses in a few years anyway, so I thought what the point. Would be great to have 20-20 though so it's quite tempting but I'm paranoid about the no touching the eyes thing.
worcester_red

Postby metalhead » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:00 pm

It depends on your type of vision deficiency mate, far sighted and near sighted that sort of thing.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:52 pm

metalhead wrote:I wanted to do it, but my eye doctor advised me not to because my vision is still not fixed. He told me to wait for another couple of years. I had a couple of friends who did it and told me it felt good.

now I'm jealous.. hate wearing glasses and got bored of wearing contacts

I think thats good advice Metalhead, my sister had it done in her 20's and ended up wearing glasses again quite quickly as her eyes were still changing. I'm amazed how quickly my eyese have settled after the procedure, less than 24h post-treatment and I can drive and could easily be back at work.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:55 pm

worcester_red wrote:
fivecups wrote:I had it done yesterday, crazy experience. I've gone from being almost blind to have better than 20:20 vision in less than 24 hours. Amazing.

Anyone else had it done?

Do you mind if I ask how old you are? the reason I ask is that I'm 37 and when I went for a consultation a few years ago they told me that I'd probably need glasses in a few years anyway, so I thought what the point. Would be great to have 20-20 though so it's quite tempting but I'm paranoid about the no touching the eyes thing.

Im 33. They told that I will become long-sighted aged 40-45 (as will everyone apparently), and that will require reading glasses, but my vision was very poor, very short-sighted, so I think the benefits still justified the cost.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:23 pm

not worry, soon they will come up with something new and medical technology will let you have eagle vision in the future... how awesome is that :buttrock  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:21 pm

i do wear specs as well sometimes when i can't see from far. im short sighted by somehow my degrees have somehow reduced over the years though. from 200 to 150. anyway girls dig men in glasses. we look far more intellectual and smart :buttrock
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:23 pm

fivecups wrote:
worcester_red wrote:

Anyone else had it done?

Im 33. They told that I will become long-sighted aged 40-45 (as will everyone apparently), and that will require reading glasses, but my vision was very poor, very short-sighted, so I think the benefits still justified the cost.

Fivecups what was your presciption for your bins if you don't mind me asking , mine is +8 in both eyes and i always thought my eyesight was to bad to get this laser business. Also i reckon it would cost a fortune for my eyes. I have to pay a shedload as it is for my bins ,to get them as thin as possible .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:07 pm

My dad had laser eye surgery at least 10 years ago.  Before surgery he had to wear contacts everyday, since he has had exactly 0 problems with his eyes.  No complaints about it or anything, so I'm pretty sure he's really happy he's done it.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby dawson99 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:19 am

I have really bad eyesight, but have always worn glasses, and I like them now. When i did wear contact lenses for sprots I looked like i was on coke or something.

I got a similar problem to Igor as well, although I havent had an eye test in 10 years, and im scared as they cost so much lol
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:25 am

I'm sure it's an exception rather than the rule but there are some cowboys out there, be careful who you go to.

I heard a discussion on the radio the other day about a woman here in London who lost virtually all her vision due to an incompetent procedure.

A year later her vision is slowly returning after treatment by a top surgeon, it will however never return to what it was before she had laser surgery.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby fivecups » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:17 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:
fivecups wrote:
worcester_red wrote:

Anyone else had it done?

Fivecups what was your presciption for your bins if you don't mind me asking , mine is +8 in both eyes and i always thought my eyesight was to bad to get this laser business. Also i reckon it would cost a fortune for my eyes. I have to pay a shedload as it is for my bins ,to get them as thin as possible .

Igor,

I was -5 in one, -6 in the other ie. very short-sighted. I think I read somewhere that it's more difficult if your long-sighted, like your numbers suggest?

Definitely costly, for someone as blind as me, but you can pay it off over 3 years interest free, which softens the blow a bit, and it is fairly amazing to be able to see again without glasses. I've had a great result, so far, slightly better than 20:20, although I've got ridiculous night-time halos around artificial light, which I'm told will settle as the swelling goes down.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:20 pm

woof woof ! wrote:I'm sure it's an exception rather than the rule but there are some cowboys out there, be careful who you go to.

I heard a discussion on the radio the other day about a woman here in London who lost virtually all her vision due to an incompetent procedure.

A year later her vision is slowly returning after treatment by a top surgeon, it will however never return to what it was before she had laser surgery.

Completely agree with this Woof, I talked to alot of people when I was thinking about having this done, and they all said the same, go to the best.

Having had it done, I can see why, although a lot of it's automated now, theres still alot of techical skill, and probably quite a few ways to f'uck it up if you don't know what your doing.

Although you might get the same treatment for cheaper elsewhere, the quality of the surgeon seems to be the most important thing.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:41 pm

If anyone wants any questions answering about laser surgery then let me know. My wife is a consultant laser optometrist for Optical Express here in Hull. She does consultations 5 days a week for people wanting laser eye surgery. I'll ask her any stuff you want to know and post back here.
addy

Next

Return to General Chat Forum