I'm getting a mobile phone - But what one?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby dawson99 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:23 pm

Been offered the N96 or Iphone 3G

what does anyone think? Or is there another one instead I should get?

(I know nothing about phones, just want one that looks cool and is semi easy to use )
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:26 pm

N96 mate, Iphone G3 still has a few problems from the older version.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:27 pm

My daughters got one of them Blackberry ones a while back she reckons its dead good Daws. Hers is a pink one though :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:30 pm

dont think i wanna know about your daughters pink one nanster!!!

yeah metal thats what i thought. Part of me just wants one with no camera, no internet, but cool, if there is such a phone
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:50 pm

Id go with the Nokia, I heard a lot of bad things about the Iphone
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:42 pm

dawson99 wrote:Been offered the N96 or Iphone 3G

what does anyone think? Or is there another one instead I should get?

(I know nothing about phones, just want one that looks cool and is semi easy to use )

get one of these  :D

“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:43 pm

..a butler to answer my calls?

sweet
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:51 pm

metalhead wrote:N96 mate, Iphone G3 still has a few problems from the older version.

Like what?

I consider myself a phone expert  :D

I have always had all the top end S60 phones. The N96 is ok but its CPU is actually slower than in the N95 8gb. If you really want a Nokia then go for the N85 instead. Its a better solution than the N96 and is better in the sense that its camera module os covered. N96 is hyped up for DVBH but those services wont even be up and running in the UK till everyone switches over to digital which isnt till 2012.

Go for the iphone 3G you wont be dissapointed! Its IMO the best phone I have ever had and ive had every phone under the sun. lol

The only bad thing is that its lacking in a decent camera and doesnt do video capture but aside from that its so good its unreal. Plus with the appstore there is so much more you can get it to do.
Last edited by tubby on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:09 pm

i just want oen that looks funky that i can use to ring people, and maybe that texting thing
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:10 pm

bavlondon wrote:
metalhead wrote:N96 mate, Iphone G3 still has a few problems from the older version.

Like what?

I have always had all the top end S60 phones. The N96 is ok but its CPU is actually slower than in the N95 8gb. If you really want a Nokia then go for the N85 instead. Its a better solution than the N96 and is better in the sense that its camera module os covered. N96 is hyped up for DVBH but those services wont even be up and running in the UK till everyone switches over to digital which isnt till 2012.

Go for the iphone 3G you wont be dissapointed! Its IMO the best phone I have ever had and ive had every phone under the sun. lol

The only bad thing is that its lacking in a decent camera and doesnt do video capture but aside from that its so good its unreal. Plus with the appstore there is so much more you can get it to do.

Im hearing alot of complaints from some mates who has the newer version, something to do with some applications not working and there is no bluetooth, also the parts to fix the phone is either unfixable or costly.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:45 pm

Dont go for the iphone, you will be dissappointed, no video, 2meg camera(wtf!?) you can only purchase itunes etc. Get an omnia or wait for the N97, google images for it, its georgeous.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:48 pm

I heard the google phone is great.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:47 pm

metalhead wrote:
bavlondon wrote:

Like what?

Im hearing alot of complaints from some mates who has the newer version, something to do with some applications not working and there is no bluetooth, also the parts to fix the phone is either unfixable or costly.

Which apps dont work? I haven't experienced any such problems. As for Bluetooth, there is support for BT onboard but the only profile is for a wireless headset which is the most commonly used. If you are referring to the ability to send and recieve pics and other files via BT then no iphone doesnt support that. But thats more down to iphone and the way it syncs with itunes to transfer data.

To be honest it is a pretty expensive phone which up until recently was only available on contract. My advise is if you plan to buy iphone on contract (or even PAYG) then get the insurance with it. Its a piece high tech heaven so you wouldnt want to break it and then have to fork out tonnes to get it fixed.

In terms of general satisfaction perhaps look at the following poll which suggests otherwise.

Iphone Scores 79% Satisfaction In Customer Survey

Neil in regards to your comment on itunes. Itunes is the biggest retailer of digital music. I dont know how many billion songs have been sold on it so I dont know why you say its a bad thing. And anyway its not like you can only use music purchased through itunes. Most of my music if downloaded elsewhere of the web.

Samsung Omnia? ROLF Please. WM is a joke and its share in the smartphone market has even been trounced by Apple in Q3. WM will only be nice once it supports gestures and multitouch ala WM v1 which wont be about till 2009 Q4/2010. Its slow, laggy and its interface is nowhere near as intuitive of user friendly as iphones.

The G1 is also something else of a joke. Infact its limitaions are even worse than iphones. Not only no video but no 3.5mm jack and it looks but ugly too. Android will get bigger but right now in terms of 3rd part support there is nothing to rival Apples appstore.

The N97 was just announced recently and to be honest its really only a stop gap device whilst Nokia are working on a true rival to iphone. It's basically the same bog standard touch interface used in the 5800 but with more internal memory and a better cam thrown in for good measure. However once no multitouch and the interface is generally not as nice as iphones.

Like I said I have had just about every single top end phone right from the 7650 to the N93i to the N82 and although they are packing alot of features the best experience has been with the iphone 3g.

If you are after a basic phone that does all sorts of things ok then go for the N85 but if you want a phone that excels in music,video and surfing then go for the iphone 3g. Worst comes to worst if you get one you have a 7 day cooling off period in which you can return it.
Last edited by tubby on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:50 pm

This is what I'd love, the japanese less is more option

dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:15 pm

No man thats :censored:. In Japan you can have something like this. Sony Bravia screen.......

S0906i :;):

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum