I'm getting a mobile phone - But what one?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby andy_g » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:26 pm

dawson99 wrote:This is what I'd love, the japanese less is more option

i've got a mate who has a stripped down to basics european equivalent of that, i think its by nokia. its just a really nice, slim, well designed phone that does all the basic things really well and looks good too.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:29 pm

metalhead wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
metalhead wrote:N96 mate, Iphone G3 still has a few problems from the older version.

Like what?

I consider myself a phone expert  :D

I have always had all the top end S60 phones. The N96 is ok but its CPU is actually slower than in the N95 8gb. If you really want a Nokia then go for the N85 instead. Its a better solution than the N96 and is better in the sense that its camera module os covered. N96 is hyped up for DVBH but those services wont even be up and running in the UK till everyone switches over to digital which isnt till 2012.

Go for the iphone 3G you wont be dissapointed! Its IMO the best phone I have ever had and ive had every phone under the sun. lol

The only bad thing is that its lacking in a decent camera and doesnt do video capture but aside from that its so good its unreal. Plus with the appstore there is so much more you can get it to do.

Im hearing alot of complaints from some mates who has the newer version, something to do with some applications not working and there is no bluetooth, also the parts to fix the phone is either unfixable or costly.

I think what you describe as problems is that the generation of software the the new nokia bring is incompatible with the second generation. But it's only a matter of few time that those apps are updated for compatibility.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:15 am

Sabre are you talking about S60 appsa being backwards compatible within OS versions? I think Metalhead was referring to iPhone apps.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:27 am

bavlondon wrote:Sabre are you talking about S60 appsa being backwards compatible within OS versions? I think Metalhead was referring to iPhone apps.

Yes, a wire crossed and I understood that post wrongly, sorry :)
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:32 am

Thats what I have. I am off the same opinion as Dawson. If I have a phone I dont want to pay extra for a phone because it can play videos, take photos have access to the internet or all the other daft sorts it has, I want it to do its job,as in, be a phone ! If I want to take photos, i'll buy a camera, internet hey guess what? no phone needed here for that one ! I still find it hard to believe that people actually pay for ring tones, wallpapers and games ! The worlds gone mad ! :D
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:41 am

Thats what I have. I am off the same opinion as Dawson.

Are you? for some reason I thought that "cool" also implied "expensive".

That is, that samsung, which is functional and nice, wouldn't what some people would call "cool" in my country.

It all depends on what we understand as cool.

What's cool?
:laugh:
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:49 am

Sabre wrote:Are you? for some reason I thought that "cool" also implied "expensive".

That is, that samsung, which is functional and nice, wouldn't what some people would call "cool" in my country.

It all depends on what we understand as cool.

What's cool?
:laugh:

Okay maybe not that part but the rest of his opinion !  :D

When all is said and done, its a bloody phone !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:46 am

dawson99 wrote:Been offered the N96 or Iphone 3G

what does anyone think? Or is there another one instead I should get?

(I know nothing about phones, just want one that looks cool and is semi easy to use )

samsung pixon is a great phone dawson, or perhaps the sony ericson with 8MP camera is very nice

i have the samsung soul - good phone

i dont think nokia are producing good phones - N95/96 range are a little bulky for my liking
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:19 am

bav-whats your spin on the 2meg camera on the iphone? also check out the firmware upgrades for the omnia. There are no prizes for passing bad judgement on windows os when you are clearly an apple fanboy, no offence. I also need to understand how is the iphone hsdpa faster than the omnia 7.2 hsdpa?. The only advantage the iphone has is the colours. Itunes treat people as deviant copyright miscreants even though they OWN the purchased track and as such should be allowed to play it on as many music systems as they see fit!!
Last edited by neil on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:37 am

The way I see it I would be paying between £100 - £200 for an ipod anyway so I dont mind paying the up front fee for the iphone.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:29 pm

dawson99 wrote:This is what I'd love, the japanese less is more option

Bet you wish you were born in the stone age don't ya, you would be in heaven
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby ste123lfc » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:06 pm

Dawson, If you've not yet decided what phone to get try the HTC Touch HD. Fantastic phone.

LINK
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:13 pm

Windows Mobile yawnnnnnn :D

The only WM phone I would reccomend is the SE X1. It's actually made by HTC as well but the software is better as its combined with SE and not bog standard WM.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:02 am

As soon as I can convince my wife, I'm upgrading mine to this bad boy:

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1

XPERIA

(some reason I can't upload a pic)
Last edited by babu on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:46 pm

iPhone all day everyday mate, I've had mine for 2 months now and it's the best phone I've ever had, they are truely awesome and the best fook about device you can get  :cool:

The people who say things like "I've heard bad things about the iPhone" are usually the haters that cant afford one or say it out of jealousy cos they can't get one  :;):
Last edited by Paul C on Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum