Death of test cricket nigh ? - Short form takes over

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu May 14, 2009 3:08 pm

For any cricket fans.......

Did anyone hear West Indies captain Chris Gayles comments after the first test defeat last week ?

If you didnt he was saying he wasnt too bothered about test cricket - maybe not as bad as that but words to that effect.
And that he thought 20/20 had taken over now and was what most people cared more about.

I can understand this to an extent as the shorter forms of the game are more exciting to watch as there is always going to be something happening with every delivery.
Would be sad though if test cricket fizzled out.
I love the ashes and although test cricket can sometimes be a bit slow its till a great game for me.

Seems like cricket is in danger of doing what football has done and selling its soul for the ££££.

I hope i am wrong but the signs dont look good.

Thoughts anyone ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Thu May 14, 2009 3:46 pm

Ok Ace.

But cricket in any form is reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy   Boring :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu May 14, 2009 3:58 pm

i'm with you ace. i'm not a huge cricket fan, just enjoy it from time to time, but i love the fact that a game can last 5 days and the strategies will slowly unfold and change during that time. it would be a huge loss to sport and the british (empire) culture if it was to disappear.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu May 14, 2009 9:24 pm

i was at the cricket at old trafford on the bank holiday weekend, lancs vs derbyshire. it was a good match (50 overs so not too short) but i was bewildered as to why they were all playing in their technicolour pyjamas?

as for the test match, it should be guarded like the crown jewels for the one simple fact that makes it great - ze germans don't understand it
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Fri May 15, 2009 2:20 am

Test Cricket is the only true type of cricket in my opinion. I seriously doubt its about to die.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri May 15, 2009 3:02 am

On the plus side, if cricket dies out there'll be more time for football... :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri May 15, 2009 9:36 am

babu wrote:Test Cricket is the only true type of cricket in my opinion. I seriously doubt its about to die.

Well this series against the west indies is only 2 tests, that is already a trimmed down series.

It might not die totally, but is being phased out gradually for the more money spinning shorter forms.

And the comments Gayle made where very worrying, lets just hope that he is in the minority and not the majority.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri May 15, 2009 5:14 pm

Wait until they bring in the penalty shoot out - then the english team will be scr€wed  :D

One of the few sports that I have no idea what is going on - 5 days? ??? jeeeez.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum