Bank charges - Re: claiming them back

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:47 pm

Ive never got over the fact that we get charged for drawing out OUR money. Its our money ffs its like asking your babsitter to pay you for looking after your kids !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:56 pm

Kharhaz wrote:Ive never got over the fact that we get charged for drawing out OUR money. Its our money ffs its like asking your babsitter to pay you for looking after your kids !

That is the one bank charge I simply refuse to pay. Only once have I ever succumbed to that Dick Turpin bank charge but never again.

Strictly speaking at the moment it ain't a bank charge (in England) but don't you doubt for a second that if the feckers could get away with re-introducing it themselves they would in a heartbeat.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:02 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Big Niall wrote:How could you have paid that much bank charges?

Simple:

Monthly
1 direct debit fails = £35
1 cheque bounces = £35
1 late payment = £35

12 months = £1260

3-4 years of something similar = £3780 to £5040

And thats just on one account.

I have a question and it might seem stupid but i'll ask it anyway  :D

If everyone has been claiming these charges back over the the last year or two, then why are banks still charging customers for these things ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:53 am

How a bank works is as follows:

YOu give them your money and they use it make themselves money re high interest loans to others.

They give you  hardly any interest which with inflation means they give you back less than you gave them.

They then charge you for holding your money.

If you want to take it or write cheques etc, they charge you again.

Why do we have our money in banks again?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:58 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

Simple:

Monthly
1 cheque bounces = £35
1 late payment = £35

12 months = £1260

If everyone has been claiming these charges back over the the last year or two, then why are banks still charging customers for these things ?

There is a court case right now about wether or not they can.

They have been told to make the charge "reflect" the work done, but once you claim your charges back you have to sign something to say you will accept the charges from now on.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:05 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

Simple:

Monthly
1 cheque bounces = £35
1 late payment = £35

12 months = £1260

There is a court case right now about wether or not they can.

They have been told to make the charge "reflect" the work done, but once you claim your charges back you have to sign something to say you will accept the charges from now on.

I never get charged or rarely do, but me girlfriend has loads of different d/debits and that and sometimes messes up and gets charged for it, she has never claimed anything back so wont have signed anything.

Think i will have to get her to try and claim hers back, was that link you posted at the top a good company...havent clicked on it yet, and dont know much about it tbh.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:06 pm

Big Niall wrote:How a bank works is as follows:

YOu give them your money and they use it make themselves money re high interest loans to others.

They give you  hardly any interest which with inflation means they give you back less than you gave them.

They then charge you for holding your money.

If you want to take it or write cheques etc, they charge you again.

Why do we have our money in banks again?

Think I might just start stuffing it under me mattress from now on. At least I ain't gonna charge myself for taking any out...

..then again if I did I'd make a mint!!   :D  :D
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:27 pm

s@int wrote:We just call them cash machines :)

cashpoints, or just the hole in the wall.
LFC2007

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:36 pm

just pay your bills on time and dont go over your limit. tough if they charge u i say :p
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:09 pm

The court case is a test case raised by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) who are looking into justification of the charges. The premise being the charges have to reflect actual costs on the banks behalf and not used to fund the bank in any way.

I successfully reclaimed my last 6 years bank charges last year, on thing to note now is the judge handling the case has granted a stay on all claims in progress. Which basically means all litigation regarding bank charges is on hold until the case and any appeals have ended.

The best website to find information on how to claim and when to claim is www.consumeractiongroup.com

The effort is definitely worth it, you may be out of pocket by a couple of hundred quid or so temporarily in court costs but these are refunded on top of your charges once your case is successful. Expect the banks to be very aggressive in defending your case against them, but the above website offers excellent advice and support for free.

Just wait for the outcome of the case before you proceed. Note: Contrary to what anyone else has said there has been no formal outcome to the case and any idea of having to sign agreements after claiming is purely speculation.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:38 am

s@int wrote:We just call them cash machines :)

You might do but I call them ATM's ..........

But then again , I fix them a  for a living ! :D

Whenever I tell people what I do they usually say "How come the machine near me never seems to give out money?"

I usually reply "Because you have to have moiney IN your account to get it out !  :D

On the subject of charges it's going through the courts at present but if you ring your bank and make a claim they HAVE TO investigate and will look into your case.

It also applies to credit cards and charges relating to the traqnsfer of mortgages from one lender to another.

Check out moneysavingexpert.com for more details.............
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:42 am

The worst one is the bank ALLOWING you to overshoot your overdraft (through the hole in the wall or purchases) and then gleefully charging you £25 for having done it.

Why don't they just stop you drawing/spending the money? That's what they used to do. No different to entrapment.
Last edited by Scottbot on Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:19 am

When I was working I was with Yorkshire Bank and was paying back a loan for over £2000 coming directly out of my direct debit. When I finished work I went straight to the bank and told them exactly what was happening. A week later I got a letter saying there was no money for the direct debit, even though I went in and explained im now out of work. I was charged £15 for that letter. I rang them and explained. A week later another letter, another £15. I rang them again. They then agreed to send a caller round to collect weekly payments of £5. The caller came, he was paid then more letters, and with it more £15 charges. I rang them and they said, its the computer, as long as im behind in my debt I will continue to receive these letters. I responded by paying the caller a quid a week. I explained to him why and he was in total agreement with me and said even if I pay just 10p a week I wont get in trouble because im making a payment. In the end it all stopped. No caller no letters just bad credit rating. In a way its helped because I no longer take out loans and just save up for what I want.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum