Asian invasion - Oriental film

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:52 am

New Dragon Gate Inn is one of my favourite films . Totally crazy, with it's weapons and cannabilism .The fight between Bridgette Lin and Maggie Cheung as they try to strip each other is a masterpiece of invention.

Great movie , great fun.

I'm wondering if it's worth getting the original (released in 1966) starring Shang Kuan, Chun Shih and Ying Bo.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Lucky » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:10 am

I haven't seen the original one and perhaps won't give it a try because I just love the new one.  :laugh:
"We've got a great team spirit - It doesn't matter how many goals we go down, we'll keep fighting till the end." - Steven Gerrard
Lucky

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:28 am

:D  Yeah , I might save myself some money and just stick with enjoying the remake.

A couple of other "fun" movies in the same genre are, "Mr Vampire" , "The Flirting Scholar" and "The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk" all contain good action and lots of laughs.

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Lucky » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:46 am

:D
Just a little add to your list:
A Chinese Ghost Story I, II, III
All worthy of a watch :nod
"We've got a great team spirit - It doesn't matter how many goals we go down, we'll keep fighting till the end." - Steven Gerrard
Lucky

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:10 am

Received some dvds from Hong Kong yesterday and last night watched the first of them.

Blood and Bones starring Takeshi Kitano.

The very first scene of “Blood and Bones” shows Kim brutally beating and raping his wife in front of his children. He cheats on his wife flagrantly, keeping his mistress in a house down the street and bringing her into his ‘family’ after he inevitably knocks her up. He comes home drunk late at night swinging a hatchet about the house and beats his children, even throwing his daughter down a flight of stairs. At his fish roll factory, Kim keeps his employees in line through similar acts of intimidation. When one of his employees asks for overtime pay, Kim responds by burning his face with a hot coal. As his business grows, Kim expands his enterprise to loan sharking, grimly prowling the neighborhood carrying a big stick and mercilessly flogging all who owe him money.

Based on a semi-autobiographic novel by Korean-Japanese author Yang Sok Gil, “Blood and Bones” has a sprawling, epic scope with a feel similar to a Bernardo Bertolucci film. “Blood and Bones” covers six decades and runs nearly two and a half hours, and can’t be described as anything but epic. And yet, despite the grand scope, director Yoichi Sai manages to give “Blood and Bones” a closed and almost claustrophobic feel. He achieves this by keeping the story anchored to one immigrant community; in fact, one street.
partial review from beyondhollywood.com

I found it to be an engrossing but somewhat depressing film. One I would only recommend if you are a fan of this fine actor (Takeshi Kitano) .Woofs rating 6/10.

Last edited by woof woof ! on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:18 am

just added it on my list woof, love takeshi, hes one of my favourites. his scenes in battle royale and zatoichi are just superb.

apparently they tried to enter blood and bones into the oscars to no avail...nice one dude
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:23 am

woof woof ! wrote:Received some dvds from Hong Kong yesterday and last night watched the first of them.

Blood and Bones starring Takeshi Kitano.

The very first scene of “Blood and Bones” shows Kim brutally beating and raping his wife in front of his children. He cheats on his wife flagrantly, keeping his mistress in a house down the street and bringing her into his ‘family’ after he inevitably knocks her up. He comes home drunk late at night swinging a hatchet about the house and beats his children, even throwing his daughter down a flight of stairs. At his fish roll factory, Kim keeps his employees in line through similar acts of intimidation. When one of his employees asks for overtime pay, Kim responds by burning his face with a hot coal. As his business grows, Kim expands his enterprise to loan sharking, grimly prowling the neighborhood carrying a big stick and mercilessly flogging all who owe him money.

Based on a semi-autobiographic novel by Korean-Japanese author Yang Sok Gil, “Blood and Bones” has a sprawling, epic scope with a feel similar to a Bernardo Bertolucci film. “Blood and Bones” covers six decades and runs nearly two and a half hours, and can’t be described as anything but epic. And yet, despite the grand scope, director Yoichi Sai manages to give “Blood and Bones” a closed and almost claustrophobic feel. He achieves this by keeping the story anchored to one immigrant community; in fact, one street.
partial review from beyondhollywood.com

I found it to be an engrossing but somewhat depressing film. One I would only recommend if you are a fan of this fine actor (Takeshi Kitano) .Woofs rating 6/10.

sorry, when i typed i went to next page, and people should read this review methinks...
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:35 am

Yeah I was slightly disappointed with the movie Dawsinio. It wasn't the movies fault, I was expecting something quite different ie the rise of a korean immigrant to Yakuza. I obviously got my wires crossed .

It's a very good film and Takeshi is brilliant in it, playing possibly one of the most unlikable characters you'll ever see. There's a grubbiness about the film that left ultimately feeling slighty depressed , you'll love it. :D

After watching it I had to cheer myself up by rewatching Shadowless Sword. Again I have to remind all out there who may have enjoyed Crouching Tiger, Hero and Flying Daggers put this movie on your list.

The story's pretty simplistic but the action is outf'uckingstanding. Brilliant choreography and fantastic wire work make for some incredible sword fights , there's even a brilliantly shot sword fight underwater, and the lead role of the heroine is played by the very very tasty Yoon Soy, you may remember her from Arahan.

Shadowless sword great fight scene

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:46 am

reminds me a bit of arahan, a nice feel good movie but not as mental as shoulin soccer or kung fu hustle (sequel being made as wel speak)
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:31 am

been watching 'warlords', i didn't fully understand the plots since being spoken in cantonese and written in mandarin, but i think it's not as promising as the stars (jet li, andy lau). i was expecting it wouldnt be as less interesting as 'the curse of the golden flowers'.

wikipedia:

The film is set in the 1860s, during the Taiping Rebellion in the late Qing Dynasty in China. The story, based on an unresolved crime in 1870, tells of three sworn brothers (played by Andy Lau, Jet Li and Takeshi Kaneshiro) who are forced to turn against one another due to the harsh realities of war and political intrigue.

The beginning of the flim show defeated army officer Qing Yun wandering aimlessly until he met Mi Lan who comforted him. Next scene show Wu Yang coming back from a successful loot. Wu Yang, notice the military boot Qing Yun was wearing and engaged him in a fight. Qing Yun overpowered him causing Wu Yang to admire his fighting skills and promise to introduce him to his elder brother, Er Hu who is the mastermind behind attack on soldier's supply. After an attack on Er Hu's village by the military, Qing Yun convinced the gang to join the army and help Qing government fight. It was during these expeditions that cause the tension to raise between the brothers as their opinion and values begin to clash. Minor plot of a love triangle between Andy Lau & Jet Li over a beautiful woman (Xu Jinglei).
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:25 pm

Love the chinese historical spectaculars. Thanks for the heads up Anni. A little surprised to see Jet Li in the billing,over a year ago I read somewhere he'd said he wasn't going to do any more "costume" drama's.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Lucky » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:58 am

woof woof ! wrote:A little surprised to see Jet Li in the billing,over a year ago I read somewhere he'd said he wasn't going to do any more "costume" drama's.

When asked why he was still going to do this film (Warlords) after his statement that Fearless would be his last martial art film, Jet Li replied it was natural that there were some martial movements in a film, but this was not a martial art film. It was a war film, or more accurately, an anti-war film, about brotherhood.
A little bit tricky, isn't it? :D

Anyway, it is a film you will not regret watching.

P.S. @Woof! I don't know why, but think you will like this film. :p
Lucky

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:19 pm

Lucky wrote:P.S. @Woof! I don't know why, but think you will like this film. :p

:D  Thanks Lucky, I've already decided I like Xu Jinglei

:nod

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Lucky » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:26 pm

:laugh:
Woof, is there any Chinese actress whom you don't like?
Lucky

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:57 pm

woof apparently doesn't fancy a pensioner one

:D
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum