Asian invasion - Oriental film

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:06 am

I was a bit disappointed with last nights programme as (the godzilla flics aside) I have all the movies Jonathan Ross featured ,I was hoping he might have put me on to some I wasn't aware of .Ah well, next he's doing Hong Kong movies ,maybe he'll come up with something i don't have.

I personally prefer the Kung Fu ,Sword and Samurai movies that come out of Asia but do also collect some horror ,bullet ballet (gangster) and comedy films from that region. I can definitely recommend the following without reservation.

Ichi the Killer ( grusomely inventive as only the japanese can be)
Audition (fiendishly sadistic)
Old Boy (totally riveting revenge movie)
Visitor Q (twisted ,funny ,disturbing and dysfunctional Japanse family ,incest,murder and gallons of breast milk )
Versus (Zombies with Samurai Swords, says it all )
Azumi (Cute Japanese girl trained as deadly samurai assassin, films climax has her chopping up 50+ enemies, :D )
Infernal Affairs (excellent as cops and triads infiltrate each others organisations)
Ong Bak (outstanding, Thai kick boxing in the street,amazingly made without the use of any special effects)
The Warrior (excellent Korean historical epic, great battle scenes)
Arahan (Korea's answer to Kung Fu hustle ,just as funny but more brutal)

If you can't get the downloads all of the above are available from HMV.

Judge quote "films out of the orient are usually worth a watch, unless they done like monkey, where the mouth moves and the english comes sometime after  :D"

I NEVER watch films in dubbed format ,subtitles can be a pain at times but dubbing is guarenteed to turn any film into a farce.
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:09 am

greenred wrote:
JBG wrote:Jeez, when I saw the title I thought Barry was back on the forum! :D

Me too but i thought id let someone else say it :D

i did, but edited my comments  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:11 am

i cant get my head round those jap/chinese flicks that have folk jumping 50 feet and flying through trees and walking on water etc. Its like watching oriental tarantino.

however, viva mothra :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:35 am

I prefer there horror than Kung Fu or samurai, going to watch oldboy tonight so ill let you guys know my opinion of course i know im gonna love it, not once have i been let down by a japenese movie.

Battle Royale is top notch but arnt the yanks doing there own version........Cant wait for that  ???
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:38 am

that jonathon ross show was class, but no mention of itchi the killer or battle royale. hong kong next week...
gonna be a great little series
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:51 am

Garymac wrote:I prefer there horror than Kung Fu or samurai, going to watch oldboy tonight so ill let you guys know my opinion of course i know im gonna love it, not once have i been let down by a japenese movie.

Battle Royale is top notch but arnt the yanks doing there own version........Cant wait for that  ???

You might like to browse thru HKFlix.com .Based in Hawaii they stock thousands of Asian films of all genres ,they give honest reviews (will tell you when they think a film is sh'ite even though they're trying to sell it ) and they offer some great bargains price wise.

I've ordered from them on several occasions , very reliable ,delivery normally takes about two weeks to the uk.

Gary there's also Battle Royal 2 and 3  , the mayhem continues .

:D
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:01 pm

dawson99 wrote:that jonathon ross show was class, but no mention of itchi the killer or battle royale. hong kong next week...
gonna be a great little series

Yeah Dawsino , I was a bit disappointed that they didn't get a mention ,.Also stuff like Twilight Samurai, Darkwater, and of course "Eat the Schoolgirl"
brief review.
Eat The Schoolgirl" is a very disturbing film directed by the director of "Stacy", Naoyuki Tomomatsu. Two young guys in their twenties are doing odd jobs for a sleazy yakuza gang. One of them is a nerdish sex fiend. The other is addicted to telephone sex and traumatized by a shocking event he witnessed while he was a young child. He now has visions of an angel-like creature that tells him to go out and kill...

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Garymac » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:05 pm

Knew there was a 2nd battle royale but not a 3rd, great stuff, if i watch to much of this stuff though im worried it might start influncing my real life actions which could be scary

:(  :D
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:11 pm

Dawsino how about "The Calamari Wrestler" ? I was p'issing myself laughing when one guy angrily and jealously says to his girlfriend "The Squids been here hasn't he ! " thats got to be possibly the funniest line I've ever heard . :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Here’s an odd one – The Calamari Wrestler! The film begins just as up and coming Japanese superstar pro-wrestler Taguchi is taking down his opponent to win the championship match and earn himself the belt. Once he pins his foe to the mat for the 1-2-3 count, you’d think it would be time for him to savor the sweet taste of victory but no, to his surprise, a giant squid shows up and kicks his :censored:. Taguchi tries to nail him with his patented full nelson but he can’t, the squid is too slippery.
The wrestling world isn’t sure what to make of this event. Taguchi is pretty upset over it all and says that he won’t feel like a true champion unless he can defeat the squid in an authorized match and make it official but the suits who run the show want the squid, now known as The Calamari Wrestler, kicked out of the ring once and for all.

:laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:29 pm

Garymac wrote:Knew there was a 2nd battle royale but not a 3rd, great stuff, if i watch to much of this stuff though im worried it might start influncing my real life actions which could be scary

:(  :D

In that case you better not watch "Shaolin Suckers" aka "Whores from China"     :D
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Piewhack » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:23 pm

Garymac wrote:i know im gonna love it, not once have i been let down by a japenese movie.

Hate to be pedantic but 'Oldboy', is a Korean flick.
Excellent movie and i'm sure your gonna love it!

Have to say that currently the Koreans and Japanese are making the best movies to come out of Asia.
Unfortunatley the Hong Kong film scene is a bit cack these days compared to the golden period they enjoyed in the 80's.

If you wanna watch top notch horror or thrillers then the japanese or korean movie scene is the one to watch, and for action kungfu stuff, then Tony Jaa who was in 'Ong Bak', is the next big martial arts star.  He is doing for thai boxing what Bruce did for kung fu.
Piewhack
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:44 pm

im sure that america wont make battle royale.. way too political at teh moment, and there isnt a part 3 is there?

woof, the squid film looks class. the actors all seemed so serious in making it.. very bizarre.

If i had to recomend one film at the mo it would have to be old boy... pure genius. his other films have all been fantastic as well. there is a dvd called extreme 3 which has one of his in it.

theres also jeung hui (sp!!!!) which is kinda of like infernal affairs but set purely with the yakuza.

Woof, the one for u to see is battlefield baseball. the zombie/sports/rom/musical comedy and a personal fave

hkflix is class, or aznfilms
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:34 pm

kung fu hustle was superb :cool:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:38 pm

Garymac wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Just a reminder for those who might be interested .Jonathan Ross starts his 3 part look at asian cinema on bbc 4,10pm tonight .Fiirst episode focuses on Japanese films ,should be some crackin stuff in there . It should prove to be a good guide for those possibly interested in collecting films from insane world of asian cinema but aren't quite sure where to start .

:)

two Japense films i want to see Woof is Oldboy and Three Extremes, you seen either and hat d you reckon mate, also if theres any you have seen and recommend let us know because i fo like a god asian flick, they do horror and gore so much better than anyone else

definately recomend both mate, ud like JSA as well, directed by the same guy, showing his earlier work

mike.. kung fu hastle is like kung pow meets the matrix...class
shoalni soccer rocked also
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:52 pm

Piewhack wrote:
Garymac wrote:i know im gonna love it, not once have i been let down by a japenese movie.

Hate to be pedantic but 'Oldboy', is a Korean flick.
Excellent movie and i'm sure your gonna love it!

Have to say that currently the Koreans and Japanese are making the best movies to come out of Asia.
Unfortunatley the Hong Kong film scene is a bit cack these days compared to the golden period they enjoyed in the 80's.

If you wanna watch top notch horror or thrillers then the japanese or korean movie scene is the one to watch, and for action kungfu stuff, then Tony Jaa who was in 'Ong Bak', is the next big martial arts star.  He is doing for thai boxing what Bruce did for kung fu.

You right about Korean flics Piewhack ,they've been coming up with some blistering stuff in recent years.
Another good Thai film is Tom Yum Goong ,similar vein to Ong Bak only this time they've nicked the lads Elephant .and smuggled it to Australia .   (how do you smuggle an elephant   :laugh:   :D  )

Anybody seen Jackie Chans "the Myth " if so is it any good ?

Dawsino ,unless my eye's were playing tricks on me I'm sure I saw Battle Royal 3 in HMV (Oxford St,nr tottenham ct rd) not that long ago. I didn't bother to examine it as although I liked the original I don't usually go for sequels .
A few people have recommended Extreme 3 to me so thats now on my shopping list and you make Battlefield Baseball sound irresistible so thats also going on the list ,thanx mate .
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum