A question for northern irish newkitters - Top things to see and do

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:02 pm

As circumstances would have it, the missus and I are attending a wedding in Northern Ireland in about a month's time.  Having never visited this part of the British Isles we decided to book ourselves a few extra days to see the sights in the region.

We've been going through the usual guidebooks and have the standard list of attractions sorted.  I was curious, though, if there were any top places that those of you with intimate knowledge of the region would recommend as "must sees"? 

On the other side of the coin, are there any places to avoid (because they're over-hyped, poor value for money, not safe for tourists, etc.)?

I'd welcome any insights from people who live in, or who have visited, Northern Ireland and/or surrounding regions of the Republic.

Cheers, mates!  :)
Last edited by Bad Bob on Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Mikz » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:09 pm

Well brother ...Ya could always visit the magical Linen musuem in my city of Lisburn.  :D

Seriously - the Giants Causeway might astound ya before stopping off in Portrush
Bangor marina
:laugh:

Id avoid west Belfast brother,its not a place to walk around especially with a camera lol
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:27 pm

Mikz wrote:Well brother ...Ya could always visit the magical Linen musuem in my city of Lisburn.  :D

Seriously - the Giants Causeway might astound ya before stopping off in Portrush
Bangor marina
:laugh:

Id avoid west Belfast brother,its not a place to walk around especially with a camera lol

Cheers brother...West Belfast has been stricken from the list! :D

As for Portrush/Bangor Marina, what's the draw there (or were you having a laugh)?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Mikz » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:37 pm

To be honest brother , Bangor marina can be struck off too. Im trying hard to think of somewhere here that would be worth seeing for an american , everything we have here , you have there a lot bigger .
I would definately recommend Donegal, even the rich and famous retreat there.
Maybe some of the other irish on here can recommend somewhere, maybe even some local football -but be sure and take an orange ball with ya in case it snows  :laugh:
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:03 pm

Bad Bob wrote:As circumstances would have it, the missus and I are attending a wedding in Northern Ireland in about a month's time.  Having never visited this part of the British Isles we decided to book ourselves a few extra days to see the sights in the region.

We've been going through the usual guidebooks and have the standard list of attractions sorted.  I was curious, though, if there were any top places that those of you with intimate knowledge of the region would recommend as "must sees"? 

On the other side of the coin, are there any places to avoid (because they're over-hyped, poor value for money, not safe for tourists, etc.)?

I'd welcome any insights from people who live in, or who have visited, Northern Ireland and/or surrounding regions of the Republic.

Wheres the wedding?? Are you flying into Belfast?

Do you live in the US?
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:06 pm

fivecups wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:As circumstances would have it, the missus and I are attending a wedding in Northern Ireland in about a month's time.  Having never visited this part of the British Isles we decided to book ourselves a few extra days to see the sights in the region.

Wheres the wedding?? Are you flying into Belfast?

Do you live in the US?

1) Comber
2) flying to Glasgow and likely taking the ferry across
3) No, from Canada
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:12 pm

Mikz wrote:To be honest brother , Bangor marina can be struck off too. Im trying hard to think of somewhere here that would be worth seeing for an american , everything we have here , you have there a lot bigger .
I would definately recommend Donegal, even the rich and famous retreat there.
Maybe some of the other irish on here can recommend somewhere, maybe even some local football -but be sure and take an orange ball with ya in case it snows  :laugh:

Not looking for anything big, mate, just interesting.  We're a little short on history over here so anything historical interests me.  We also like unique landscapes (that's why Giants Causeway is on the list) and especially anything with a little elevation (our part of Ontario is dead flat).

County Donegal sounds interesting from what we've read.  Were you referring to the town itself or the county more generally?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby fivecups » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:13 pm

Also, will you have a car? How many days altogether?
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:14 pm

fivecups wrote:Also, will you have a car? How many days altogether?

We're planning on hiring a car and should have about 6 days free and clear of wedding commitments to go exploring.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:30 pm

Lol!!
Bad Bob hits Norn Irn!

Belfast City centre is cool..theres loads of good bars and restuarants.Its great for shopping as well (for the missus)
Theres a bus tour that leaves the C/c every day all day!
It will take you all around the outskirts of  Belfast..they take you around the Shankill and Falls road areas,tell you about the troublesome history:D

Id say it would be interesting for someone not local.Stay out of these areas unless you are on the bus though..cause they are well rough especially at night.

As Mikz said the North Coast is a great part of the country and has lots of nice scenery but its fecking freezing!

Im sure you'll enjoy your stay Bad Bob:D
66-1120597113

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:50 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:Lol!!
Bad Bob hits Norn Irn!

Belfast City centre is cool..theres loads of good bars and restuarants.Its great for shopping as well (for the missus)
It will take you all around the outskirts of  Belfast..they take you around the Shankill and Falls road areas,tell you about the troublesome history:D

Id say it would be interesting for someone not local.Stay out of these areas unless you are on the bus though..cause they are well rough especially at night.

As Mikz said the North Coast is a great part of the country and has lots of nice scenery but its fecking freezing!

Good tips, there...cheers Bazza!

Your mention of shopping reminds me of an important follow up question.  As you might expect, LFC merchandise is: (a) hard to come by and (b) feckin's expensive in my part of Canada.  So, any suggestions on what stores to hit for the latest home kit, scarves, and other Liverpool gear?  And, what's the going rate for an authentic home top in the Belfast area?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:07 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
BarryBelfast wrote:Lol!!
Bad Bob hits Norn Irn!

Good tips, there...cheers Bazza!

Your mention of shopping reminds me of an important follow up question.  As you might expect, LFC merchandise is: (a) hard to come by and (b) feckin's expensive in my part of Canada.  So, any suggestions on what stores to hit for the latest home kit, scarves, and other Liverpool gear?  And, what's the going rate for an authentic home top in the Belfast area?

You can get LFC gear in any sports shop in the C/c mate but theres no official shop.

You can get a home top for about £40 or so also LFc jackets and stuff.

Hit the c/c mate and shop around abit for the best deal!

You should enjoy it...its always good to see a new place!As i  have lived here all my life i think its pretty boring now but from an outsiders point of veiw its a cool wee place..kinda  different from Canada id say!! :D

Donegal as mentioned above is a lovely place,its about 2.5 hours drive from Comber though.
Its also pretty rural and outta the way so if your going bring a good map or you will end up lost...ever seen the movie wrong turn??Theres worse out there! :oh:
66-1120597113

Postby jkop » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:22 pm

So Bad Bob is gracing our shores, you are more than welcome mate. Places to visit well theres the Marble Arch Caves, Belfast Castle, Belfast City Hall, i know people have warned to stay away from certain parts of Belfast but there is an open top bus tour which is safe and legal that takes you round the so called no go areas. So theres a couple for you anyway mate, hope you enjoy your stay. ( By the way i have been to your neck of the woods a couple of times, places such as Banff, Canmore, Calgary, Edmonton and another wee town which i cant remember.) :D  :buttrock
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:24 pm

I agree that the bus trip would be worth doing.

If your in Comber you could consider a night in Newcastle - get there early and get climbing. I recommend slieve bearnagh as your mountain of choice - the Mournes are stunning. You should try and get right into the heart of them. Stay in the Slieve Donard and if you play golf, one of the best courses in the world is beside you. The seafood restaurant in Dundrum is supposed to be superb - people drive from Belfast to eat there.

I'd spend a day seeing the Giants Causeway, the rope bridge etc. I'd eat in the Ramore wine bar in Portrush - good atmosphere. Again Royal Portrush is a worlds top 10 golf course.

If you like history you should stop off in Derry on the way to Donegal. Walk the walls (only fully open for the past few years), see the cathedrals and the tower museum - the siege of derry is interesting history. Have Phil Coulter in the car for a bit of atmosphere. Browns restaurant in the Waterside - hidden gem.

I'd then get out of NI to Donegal - thats where I go for a break. If I'd 3-4 days i'd head to Moville. Dinner would be in Keeleys (might meet John Hume). Drive to Malin and Ballyliffin (walk the beach). Try and find Kinagoe Bay on the way - hidden gem. Drive through Mamore gap to Buncrana and get the ferry to Rathmullan (if running otherwise drive). Stay here - beach, pier, cracking local pub - the White Harte (Guiness) and great food - An Bonnan Bui.

I'd go onto Portsalon and Fanad Head (best if its stormy), then on round the coast (stop and look at Mulroy Bay) to Downings/ Dunfanaghy.

You may enjoy the gardens of Glenveagh castle and you should consider climbing Erigal or at least walking through poison glenn - can be wet.

If your there with the wife that would be a fantastic 6 days in my opinion. Bring the camera.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:28 pm

jkop wrote:So Bad Bob is gracing our shores, you are more than welcome mate. Places to visit well theres the Marble Arch Caves, Belfast Castle, Belfast City Hall, i know people have warned to stay away from certain parts of Belfast but there is an open top bus tour which is safe and legal that takes you round the so called no go areas. So theres a couple for you anyway mate, hope you enjoy your stay. ( By the way i have been to your neck of the woods a couple of times, places such as Banff, Canmore, Calgary, Edmonton and another wee town which i cant remember.) :D  :buttrock

Cheers, jkop...it sounds like an open-top bus is the way to go for Belfast.  Perhaps I'll get me a replica of Big Ears and recreate the magic of the 2005 homecoming!  :D

As for the Canadian places you mentioned they are, sadly, no where near "my neck of the woods" and I have yet to get out to Alberta ( :sniffle ).  Unlike most Canadian families, we never did the cross-country roadtrip when I was a kid.  Oh the shame!  :D

BTW, who is that in your avatar, mate, and is she doing what I think she's doing?  :p
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to General Chat Forum