A question for northern irish newkitters - Top things to see and do

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:30 pm

Good call Fivecups! :nod

Newcastle (Mourne region) is a lovely spot...its well worth a trek up the mountains.Its by the see as well and not too far from Comber(about a 35 min drive)

14 miles by Newcastle is Silent Valley...its a long walk up but worth it for the natural beauty!
Its a trek up into the mountains by resevoirs by the way.
66-1120597113

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:45 pm

fivecups wrote:I agree that the bus trip would be worth doing.

If your in Comber you could consider a night in Newcastle - get there early and get climbing. I recommend slieve bearnagh as your mountain of choice - the Mournes are stunning. You should try and get right into the heart of them. Stay in the Slieve Donard and if you play golf, one of the best courses in the world is beside you. The seafood restaurant in Dundrum is supposed to be superb - people drive from Belfast to eat there.

I'd spend a day seeing the Giants Causeway, the rope bridge etc. I'd eat in the Ramore wine bar in Portrush - good atmosphere. Again Royal Portrush is a worlds top 10 golf course.

If you like history you should stop off in Derry on the way to Donegal. Walk the walls (only fully open for the past few years), see the cathedrals and the tower museum - the siege of derry is interesting history. Have Phil Coulter in the car for a bit of atmosphere. Browns restaurant in the Waterside - hidden gem.

I'd then get out of NI to Donegal - thats where I go for a break. If I'd 3-4 days i'd head to Moville. Dinner would be in Keeleys (might meet John Hume). Drive to Malin and Ballyliffin (walk the beach). Try and find Kinagoe Bay on the way - hidden gem. Drive through Mamore gap to Buncrana and get the ferry to Rathmullan (if running otherwise drive). Stay here - beach, pier, cracking local pub - the White Harte (Guiness) and great food - An Bonnan Bui.

I'd go onto Portsalon and Fanad Head (best if its stormy), then on round the coast (stop and look at Mulroy Bay) to Downings/ Dunfanaghy.

You may enjoy the gardens of Glenveagh castle and you should consider climbing Erigal or at least walking through poison glenn - can be wet.

If your there with the wife that would be a fantastic 6 days in my opinion. Bring the camera.

Top stuff, mate--we were looking to do some hiking and the Mourne Mts sound ideal.  Derry was on the list as well as was Donegal but the guidebooks have nothing on you!  Thanks for the tips...especially the places to eat (which are always a :censored: shoot when you travel).  :bowdown
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby jkop » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:53 pm

I selected that suspicious looking woman in the, edit your profile section. And yes she does look like shes polishing my shoes. :D
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:30 pm

Bob, you'd be better off heading south and avoiding all those looney toons up north.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby kazza 1 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:12 pm

Welcome to Northern Ireland Bob (although your not here yet!!)
There are so many things to do in our wee country. There are bus tours that take in many of places of interest in and around the City, including the City Hall and Parliament Buildings. The leave the city centre every hour and take apporx 3 hours, but you can jump of and on at different bus stops. As Mikz and Barry have said the Gaints Causeway is worth a look and also the Carrick- a -rede rope bridge (not for the faint hearted)
And also Dunluce Castle. Oh and theres also Rathlin Island. The boat trip to the island is adventure in its own right, and the island its self is beautiful. I think its a bird santury now, to many of the sea birds that vist!! These places all all in the north west of the island
If your looking for nite life in Belfast, here are a few places that you might like.
Bars...
Aunty Annies, The Basement, Benedict's, The John Hewitt and Lavery's. There are plenty of other bars to go to (to many to list) so if anyonelse can think of a good one, post it on here. One you have to and see is The Crown Bar. Its the oldest bar in Belfast and most visitors come to see it and have a pint of the black stuff and a bowl of stew :laugh: There are plenty of clubs to. The M club, the Beach club, Mint, Thompson's Garage and Precious, to name a few. They are open to the wee hours, but get there early as they tend to get very busy!!!

Theres plenty of sport too.  Theres Irish League footy, thats played on Saturdays. If you fancy seeing a game, let me know and let you know whos playing who and where. We have our own ice hockey team. They are called the Belfast Giants and they play at the Odyssey. Its very popular and the games are usually sold out quite quickly.
We also have GAA and Hurling, but I dont know much about these as I have never been to any games. All I know is they are played at Casement Park and are played on Sundays.

Donegal is a beautiful part of the world and well worth a trip. Malin Head is a lovely spot. Have been there many times and never get bored of the views. I think it was jkop who said about the Marble Rach Caves in Florencecourt near Enniskillen.  I have never been there (image I'm 36 and have never been!!) But also on that part of the world is Lusty Beg. Its a small island that has one bar and a shop on it, but loads of wooden cabins that you can rent for a night esp if you like fishing. The Island is in the middle of Upper and lower Lough Erne. You can also hire cruise boats and sail up and down them at your leisure.
Sorry about this being so long, but as I said theres plenty to do. I hope you enjoy your stay here and come back again!!!
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Squigels » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:23 am

with the moterway Dublin is an hour and a half from Comber so give it a day. Belfast is a wonderful night spot though. Must say having visited relatives in Comber its a :censored: place.

You will have fun with it depending what you want to see i cant say what you would want to see but Belfast for just the history is enlightning.
Squigels

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:12 am

or you can do what any sane person would do bob and head straight for liverpool by air or sea straight after the wedding and take in the delights of the city, and possibly a game, do the stadium tour, so the beatles tour, ferry cross the mersey, shop etc etc etc

:D
112-1077774096

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:32 am

kazza 1 wrote:Welcome to Northern Ireland Bob (although your not here yet!!)
There are so many things to do in our wee country. There are bus tours that take in many of places of interest in and around the City, including the City Hall and Parliament Buildings. The leave the city centre every hour and take apporx 3 hours, but you can jump of and on at different bus stops. As Mikz and Barry have said the Gaints Causeway is worth a look and also the Carrick- a -rede rope bridge (not for the faint hearted)
And also Dunluce Castle. Oh and theres also Rathlin Island. The boat trip to the island is adventure in its own right, and the island its self is beautiful. I think its a bird santury now, to many of the sea birds that vist!! These places all all in the north west of the island
If your looking for nite life in Belfast, here are a few places that you might like.
Bars...
Aunty Annies, The Basement, Benedict's, The John Hewitt and Lavery's. There are plenty of other bars to go to (to many to list) so if anyonelse can think of a good one, post it on here. One you have to and see is The Crown Bar. Its the oldest bar in Belfast and most visitors come to see it and have a pint of the black stuff and a bowl of stew :laugh: There are plenty of clubs to. The M club, the Beach club, Mint, Thompson's Garage and Precious, to name a few. They are open to the wee hours, but get there early as they tend to get very busy!!!

Theres plenty of sport too.  Theres Irish League footy, thats played on Saturdays. If you fancy seeing a game, let me know and let you know whos playing who and where. We have our own ice hockey team. They are called the Belfast Giants and they play at the Odyssey. Its very popular and the games are usually sold out quite quickly.
We also have GAA and Hurling, but I dont know much about these as I have never been to any games. All I know is they are played at Casement Park and are played on Sundays.

Donegal is a beautiful part of the world and well worth a trip. Malin Head is a lovely spot. Have been there many times and never get bored of the views. I think it was jkop who said about the Marble Rach Caves in Florencecourt near Enniskillen.  I have never been there (image I'm 36 and have never been!!) But also on that part of the world is Lusty Beg. Its a small island that has one bar and a shop on it, but loads of wooden cabins that you can rent for a night esp if you like fishing. The Island is in the middle of Upper and lower Lough Erne. You can also hire cruise boats and sail up and down them at your leisure.
Sorry about this being so long, but as I said theres plenty to do. I hope you enjoy your stay here and come back again!!!

Cheers Kazza, you're a font of knowledge!  I think we're gonna have a challenge jamming it all in but it should be a belter of a trip.  Can't wait!  :buttrock

I do have a follow-up for those of you who have spent time in Donegal...Would you recommend basing ourselves in Derry for a few days and doing the Donegal coast as a day trip (or trips) or would you advise staying in Donegal?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:35 am

peewee wrote:or you can do what any sane person would do bob and head straight for liverpool by air or sea straight after the wedding and take in the delights of the city, and possibly a game, do the stadium tour, so the beatles tour, ferry cross the mersey, shop etc etc etc

The thought had certainly crossed my mind, mate, but I want to stay married!  My wife's promised me I can do the pilgrimmage to Mecca on our next visit to the UK.  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:09 am

peewee wrote:or you can do what any sane person would do bob and head straight for liverpool by air or sea straight after the wedding and take in the delights of the city, and possibly a game, do the stadium tour, so the beatles tour, ferry cross the mersey, shop etc etc etc

Fu.ck off Peewee!

Belfast is Good...at least we can tell real women from whores! :hearts  :oh:
66-1120597113

Postby jkop » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:47 am

kazza 1 wrote:Welcome to Northern Ireland Bob (although your not here yet!!)
Bars...

Kazza for tour guide !  :buttrock  :D
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jkop » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:00 am

Bad Bob i dont know if it will be any help, but have you tried Google Earth and typed in Northern Ireland it dosent really give you the tourist attractions but it does give you the different towns and cities. Basically a perfect birds eye view of any where in the world. :D
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:44 am

Come to Lisburn Bob! Ill get ya sorted out with a Liverpool top and a nice Liverpool badge tattoo as well :;):
Plus -youll have the pleasure of meeting me , what else could anyone want really lol

No matter where ya go brother, north or south-youll be made most welcome
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:11 am

BarryBelfast wrote:

Fu.ck off Peewee!

Belfast is Good...at least we can tell real women from whores! :hearts  :oh:

:oh:  :D
112-1077774096

Postby fivecups » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:40 pm

I do have a follow-up for those of you who have spent time in Donegal...Would you recommend basing ourselves in Derry for a few days and doing the Donegal coast as a day trip (or trips) or would you advise staying in Donegal?

I'd stay a night in Derry but definitely wouldn't base myself there. Donegal is about getting away - the last thing you'll want to do is drive back to Derry for the night. There are plenty of hotels and B+B's in Donegal depending on your budget.

Baz is right about needing a good map. I'd just head north out of Derry and travel around the coast.

Let us know if you need anymore info.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum