World player of the year

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:25 pm

Messi just won it.

1 Messi 22.65% - 2 Iniesta 17.36% - 3 Xavi 16.48% - 4 Sneijder 14.48% - 5 Forlan 7.61% - 6 Ronaldo 3.92% - 7 Casillas 2.90% - 8 Villa 2.25% - 9 Drogba 1.68% - 10 Alonso 1.52%

The World XI is a bit special 

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid and Spain); Maicon (Inter Milan and Brazil), Gerard Pique (Barcelona and Spain), Lucio (Inter Milan and Brazil), Carles Puyol (Barcelona and Spain); Andres Iniesta (Barcelona and Spain), Xavi (Barcelona and Spain), Wesley Sneijder (Inter Milan and Holland); Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid and Portugal), David Villa (Barcelona and Spain), Lionel Messi (Barcelona and Argentina).

Wonder if the Man City owners are sizing up a bid for the entire team?
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:31 pm

Messi is the best player in the world right now

but Sneijder kind of deserve the award
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:32 pm

Nice to see Xabi in there
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:33 pm

spanish bias?
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:41 pm

6 of the world team of the year play for Barca

Not one player from the prem
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:43 am

backed messi at 9/1 in oct when sneijder was a massive favourite, on a hunch that the people that vote for this award can tell the difference between best player in the world and a guy that happen to win a few trophies. Lionel Messi is the best player since Maradona so in my eyes should win this award every year!
burjennio

Postby metalhead » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:21 pm

burjennio wrote:backed messi at 9/1 in oct when sneijder was a massive favourite, on a hunch that the people that vote for this award can tell the difference between best player in the world and a guy that happen to win a few trophies. Lionel Messi is the best player since Maradona so in my eyes should win this award every year!

The award should be given every year to a player who is performing well for his country and club. Messi this year was disappointing for Argentina (although he was one of the better players), but Sneijder had a fantastic year and easily the best player for this year alone.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:00 pm

THE AWARD SHOULD GO TO THE BEST AND MESSI IS BY FAR THE MOST GIFTED AND TALENTED FOOTBALLER, SINCE THE GENIUS ON ME SIG !!
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:03 pm

metalhead wrote:
burjennio wrote:backed messi at 9/1 in oct when sneijder was a massive favourite, on a hunch that the people that vote for this award can tell the difference between best player in the world and a guy that happen to win a few trophies. Lionel Messi is the best player since Maradona so in my eyes should win this award every year!

The award should be given every year to a player who is performing well for his country and club. Messi this year was disappointing for Argentina (although he was one of the better players), but Sneijder had a fantastic year and easily the best player for this year alone.

whether Messi deserved it is debatable. I think Xavi should have got it but there you go.

I agree Sneijder should have made the shortlist, perhaps even Milito
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:36 pm

messi all of the way.
He will be the greatest ever when he hangs up his boots.
Yes Sneijder had a good season but nobody gets close to little Lionel.
If he continues playing as he is then i agree he should win it every season.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby anti-hero » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:47 pm

i thought snjeider deserved it. but oh well!
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:59 pm

He's probably the best footballer on the planet... However, the World Player of the Year award is largely based on accomplishments in the year and as such Messi shouldnt have win it imo...
Based on accomplishments last season the 3 finalists should have been Sneijder, Xavi and Messi with Xavi edging it ahead of Sneijder...
If they decide it's based on talent and form with little regard to team accomplishments then C.Ronaldo should definitely make the top3 as he's not that far behind Messi in terms of ability imo... Didnt/Doesnt have the benefit of playing with the best club and playmakers in recent history (Barcelona, Xavi and Iniesta) but has still managed to outscore Messi in this season so far and in 2008/2009 ?
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:14 pm

All three were outstanding, but the nature of Messi's performances mark him out from the other two. He's destroyed teams almost by himself at times. That said, I wouldn't have begrudged the other two winning it as they also made major contributions to their team's success at the WC, Xavi especially.
LFC2007

Postby tubby » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:46 am

zarababe wrote:THE AWARD SHOULD GO TO THE BEST AND MESSI IS BY FAR THE MOST GIFTED AND TALENTED FOOTBALLER, SINCE THE GENIUS ON ME SIG !!

I thought Messi has been rather.... average last 12 months.  :oh:

:D

Only messing, he's been out of this world. If it wasn't for Messi then Sneijder probably would have got it but on his day there is no one to match him.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:39 am

The best player in the world got the "best player in the world"-award... what a shocker :D

Seriously, lil' Messi is just a cut above even those other fine players and it's not exactly as if he had a bad 2010 even if the argies disappointed at the WC.

Well deserved award imo :)
JamCar05

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion