WORLD CUP 2010 - Official thread(for all talk etc)

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:36 pm

bavlondon wrote:
Owzat wrote:
bigmick wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Some final pictures.... what a great world cup it's been. Now begins the countdown to Brazil!!!

Do you think Bav? I thought it was one of the worst World Cups I can remember, if not the worst.

Second lowest goals per game World Cup, too much controversy, and perhaps too many fouls and over-reactions to said fouls.

And of course those bloody vuvuzelas  :veryangry may well mean the legacy aftermath of the world cup may go on until all venues/events ban the bloody things - at least I hope they do

Oh stop moaning.. vuvuzeula this and that.... like a bunch of whingers...  :laugh:

I like them. They are part of their culture so get over it. Are people going to start moaning they don't want to hear samba drums in 2014?

I'm pretty sure that only the brazil games will have the drums and I'm pretty sure they don't produce a constant irritating noise that drown out the fans singing and chanting - im glad they are being banned at most sporting venues around the world .

As for the ball - every tournament has a new ball and all countries get a chance to use it at least 12 months before the tournament starts .
Benny The Noon

Postby fivecups » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:56 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:As for the ball - every tournament has a new ball and all countries get a chance to use it at least 12 months before the tournament starts .

All true, but none have impacted on a tournament like the Jabulani.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:59 pm

fivecups wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:As for the ball - every tournament has a new ball and all countries get a chance to use it at least 12 months before the tournament starts .

All true, but none have impacted on a tournament like the Jabulani.

How come the Germans didn't have a problem with and they get on fine with it ? I think the state of the pitches and weather and altitude didn't help as well
Benny The Noon

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Highlight of the World Cup for me?

Mick McCarthy. He made even the dullest games worth watching, listening out for his comments alone ! :D
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:08 pm

Kharhaz wrote:Highlight of the World Cup for me?

Mick McCarthy. He made even the dullest games worth watching, listening out for his comments alone ! :D

Robbie Savage of all people made me laugh on 5 Live.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:08 pm

I think the Germans were able to use it in the Bundeslegia as their sponsorship deal didn't forbid it, whereas in the Premierhship it wasn't allowed. Even then though, even the Germans weren't able to pass the ball long with any accuracy, nobody in the whole tournament was able to strike free kicks consistently accurately, and corners etc were a bit of a non event.

I also think that while in the past for sure there has been a different pattern on the ball, this time the actual physical behaviour of it seemed to be altered. Germany's goal direct from the goal kick was a perfect illustration. True it was terrible defending from England, but Terry actually goes to head it in the first instance, and it clears his head by a good three yards. It was kind of like the difference between a normal frisby and one of those space age jobs with the metal rim and the hole in the middle. Bonkers really.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:13 pm

bigmick wrote:I think the Germans were able to use it in the Bundeslegia as their sponsorship deal didn't forbid it, whereas in the Premierhship it wasn't allowed. Even then though, even the Germans weren't able to pass the ball long with any accuracy, nobody in the whole tournament was able to strike free kicks consistently accurately, and corners etc were a bit of a non event.

I also think that while in the past for sure there has been a different pattern on the ball, this time the actual physical behaviour of it seemed to be altered. Germany's goal direct from the goal kick was a perfect illustration. True it was terrible defending from England, but Terry actually goes to head it in the first instance, and it clears his head by a good three yards. It was kind of like the difference between a normal frisby and one of those space age jobs with the metal rim and the hole in the middle. Bonkers really.

Absolutely, good analogy. Why introduce such a radically different ball just before the world cup?
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:15 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
Owzat wrote:
bigmick wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Some final pictures.... what a great world cup it's been. Now begins the countdown to Brazil!!!

Do you think Bav? I thought it was one of the worst World Cups I can remember, if not the worst.

Second lowest goals per game World Cup, too much controversy, and perhaps too many fouls and over-reactions to said fouls.

And of course those bloody vuvuzelas  :veryangry may well mean the legacy aftermath of the world cup may go on until all venues/events ban the bloody things - at least I hope they do

Oh stop moaning.. vuvuzeula this and that.... like a bunch of whingers...  :laugh:

I like them. They are part of their culture so get over it. Are people going to start moaning they don't want to hear samba drums in 2014?

I'm pretty sure that only the brazil games will have the drums and I'm pretty sure they don't produce a constant irritating noise that drown out the fans singing and chanting - im glad they are being banned at most sporting venues around the world .

As for the ball - every tournament has a new ball and all countries get a chance to use it at least 12 months before the tournament starts .

Well seeing as locals get most of the tickets you will probably hear them in more than just the Brazil games. So what if the fans get drowned out singing. It's not like it's at a Liverpool game or anything it's the world cup.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:20 pm

fivecups wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:Highlight of the World Cup for me?

Robbie Savage of all people made me laugh on 5 Live.

:D  I like Robbie Savage.

As for the ball though, yeah it definitely made a difference, and for the worst.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:27 pm

ITV should give-up .. BBC much better in their coverage - that Adrian was awful..
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:34 pm

Campeones back on Spanish soil -  !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10601076

World Champions meet the King:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10606200
Last edited by zarababe on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:53 pm

Bav once you have been to a sporting event and had to put up with that awful noise then you will start to get highly annoyed - they are being banned for a reason . That constant noise is not atmosphere - the crowds cheering , bands playing , players being booed , songs being sung , chants they are all what makes up an atmosphere at a football ground not the constant high pitch noise from a plastic tube . The games I went to in Germany were great atmopshere - the vuvuzela just spoiled every single game .
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:13 pm

I must admit at the start I was all for the Vuvu thingies, towards the end though they just got on your t!ts the fecking things.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:26 pm

Dirty tw.at Pique spitting on the Valencia president .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMhmXBuUkzs&feature=player_embedded
Last edited by Igor Zidane on Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:41 pm

bigmick wrote:I must admit at the start I was all for the Vuvu thingies, towards the end though they just got on your t!ts the fecking things.

I went to a Twenty match in Bristol the other week and the away fans brought them with them and after about twenty mins of constant irrating noise people complained and the stewards asked them to stop - they have now been banned . Bloody awful noise .
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion