World cup 2010 draw thread

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:41 am

exactly, all nations have never made the quarter finals until they have.
JoeTerp

Postby Owzat » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:47 pm

LFC2007 wrote:I think Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria and Cameroon all have very realistic chances of qualifying and the first two even better chances of doing something more than just the last 16. Paraguay are better than ordinary, they are a solid outift with some tricky players up front and an experienced coach. On the whole, the remainder aren't too different from what you'd normally see.

I don't think WC records are a reliable indicator of the strength of a team. In 2002 it didn't stop France from finishing bottom of their group, nor Argentina from failing to qualify from theirs. I don't see it deterring one of the African sides from doing a South Korea for instance...in fact I think that's a real possibility with it being effectively on home soil.

African sides have a poor track record and the World Cup is their only true measure, ACN certainly isn't.

You're using worst performances of a team as a benchmark, but for every European failure in a tournament there is usually a success. Germany were pants in 2000 but reached the World Cup final in 2002. I did consider an African nation could do what Korea did, but you can only go on past World Cups and the Africans still lack quality - and in depth. I don't have access to confirm, but I strongly suspect no more than one or maybe two African nations have got out of the groups since they got five places. Odds are stacked against them because a) they're unlikely to be seeded unless they host so face one top side, b) with regional pots thereafter they can't face another African nation, c) they should face at least one European team and UEFA qualifying weeds out the real rubbish and d) they quite probably will, at best, be third best side in the group.

BUT the way the World Cup is set up, it only takes one result to go in favour of a side and they can sneak through. If say Algeria beat USA then a win over Slovenia or England would see them through. There was something similar in the cricket world cup when a shock saw India and Pakistan out. But I'm working on standard expectation while a lot of people look at optimistic or hopes, they may be right and such and such a team go through, but has there ever been an African team in the top 10 FIFA rankings? The venue may be a leveller, but I think your assessment of some of the teams is way too generous
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:13 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:What's the bets Ingurland get a jammie, easy group again...

Your honour, I rest my case !
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:36 pm

Owzat wrote:African sides have a poor track record and the World Cup is their only true measure, ACN certainly isn't.

You're using worst performances of a team as a benchmark, but for every European failure in a tournament there is usually a success. Germany were pants in 2000 but reached the World Cup final in 2002. I did consider an African nation could do what Korea did, but you can only go on past World Cups and the Africans still lack quality - and in depth. I don't have access to confirm, but I strongly suspect no more than one or maybe two African nations have got out of the groups since they got five places. Odds are stacked against them because a) they're unlikely to be seeded unless they host so face one top side, b) with regional pots thereafter they can't face another African nation, c) they should face at least one European team and UEFA qualifying weeds out the real rubbish and d) they quite probably will, at best, be third best side in the group.

BUT the way the World Cup is set up, it only takes one result to go in favour of a side and they can sneak through. If say Algeria beat USA then a win over Slovenia or England would see them through. There was something similar in the cricket world cup when a shock saw India and Pakistan out. But I'm working on standard expectation while a lot of people look at optimistic or hopes, they may be right and such and such a team go through, but has there ever been an African team in the top 10 FIFA rankings? The venue may be a leveller, but I think your assessment of some of the teams is way too generous

I'm not using worst performances as a benchmark mate. The European cohort are obviously stronger than the African lot and it is much more likely that they perform better overall; that's a given and it wasn't what I was arguing. It is your assessment of the strength of the competition by citing each nation's WC record that I don't think is all that reliable. A non-record precedes almost every team makes a name for themselves (you have to start somewhere!) and I see enough in the likes of Ghana and Ivory coast to suggest they're capable of doing just that, especially since it's effectively on home soil. If South Korea and Turkey - who both had pretty non-existent records prior to the 2002 WC - can finish third/fourth respectively, it is not at all beyond the realms of possibility for another outsider or two to pull off a similar feat this time round. (My money would actually be on Paraguay doing something)
LFC2007

Postby dawson99 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:43 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:

bitter bitter irishman

:wwww
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:00 pm

dawson99 wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:

bitter bitter irishman

:wwww

See ?
Somebody's phuckin' around with others' posts again...

Now, in this instance, I don't mind, 'cos sticking in the words "bitter bitter etc.." at the end of my ORIGINAL post ("Your honour, I rest my case") isn't that much of a deal...

BUT.....

How do I or anybody else on here know whether our original posts have been modified or not, by somebody with Administrator privileges on this forum ?

It's a question of integrity.....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:10 pm

There has never been a World Cup played in Africa before. Usually European sides play better on European soil, and 1/2 or 1/3 world cups have been in Europe, so of course they area going to have the better track record than African sides who have ALWAYS had to play world cups on different continents until now.
JoeTerp

Previous

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion