Uefa punish racism - About bloody time.

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:32 pm

UEFA fine Levski for fans' racist slurs (from Yahoo! sport)
Sun 30 Apr, 7:04 PM

SOFIA (Reuters) - Levski Sofia have been fined 35,000 euros (24,000 pounds) by UEFA for racist behaviour by some of their fans during the UEFA Cup quarter-final home leg against Germany's Schalke 04, the Bulgarian club said on Sunday.

Levski fans booed and whistled visiting coloured player Gerald Asamoah before and during the March 30 match which Schalke won 3-1 to qualify for the semi-finals 4-2 on aggregate.

Club owner Todor Batkov has been banned for two matches for making remarks about English referee Mike Riley after the match. Batkov also has been fined 3,200 euros.

UEFA imposed a further fine of 6,400 euros on Levski for their owner's comment.

"The sanctions are tendentious," said Levski chief executive Konstantin Bazhdekov. "We will discuss the situation and we will decide on Monday if we are going to appeal."

-_-_-_

This is a step forward from Uefa indeed. £24,000 isn't much, even to a smaller club like Levski, but it's a lot more significant than those insulting and rediculous fines imposed on the Spanish clubs whose fans have engaged in racism. It's good to see that Uefa are listening to Fifa about getting tougher on racism and the fact that clubs are soon going to be punished with points deduction is a very good thing which will be a big leap forward to getting rid of the disgusting biggotry which still runs in the game.

British football doesn't have a bad reputation of racism any more but it's still there. Spain and Italy both have big problems still, so I hope the helmets (not the real fans) buck their ideas up now that they know they could really suffer in the leagues. It's also more of an incentive for the real fans to stop the racism themselves. I'd rather everyone just realised that the colour of someone's skin isn't important without the threats and punishments, but if that's what it's going to take, then so be it.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby pur3 rav3r » Tue May 02, 2006 11:38 am

i agree. something more has to be done about it
gd post mate :)
R.I.P to the 96 that lost there lives on 15th of april 1989
"YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE"
pur3 rav3r
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu May 04, 2006 1:42 pm

But they were unsure what to do about Rangers fans???

How is racism worse than sectarianism???
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu May 04, 2006 1:50 pm

Big Niall wrote:But they were unsure what to do about Rangers fans???

How is racism worse than sectarianism???

Good Point.

I think they are finding the scottish approach difficult mainly because of the history of the two clubs and the level of religious bad feeling toward each other.

There is no excuse for sectarian violence and sectarianism in general, and the irony is the call themselves Christian!
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri May 05, 2006 3:15 am

Credit to UEFA, but there is much more to be done.

Personally, I think many Spanish teams should have been fined a couple of million each. Argones (sp?) should have been banned from football for 5 years, the dirty b*stard.

Aside from that, I think Bulgarians are really trying to add to the already tainted view us Brits have of their nation.

It's time the whole country woke up, and realised that Michael Shields IS innocent, and that they are making themselves truely hated by the way they are treating him, purely to save face.

And you b*stards want to join the EU!?!

Go f*ck yourselves.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri May 05, 2006 1:37 pm

If this thread is about racism then I think it is fair enough for me to ask why Asians in Britain never make it as footballers. They don't make up much of the crowd either. I am guessing (correct me if I'm wrong) that there is a similar amount of Asians and black people in Britain but there is loads of black players although they still seem under represented in crowds.

Do Asians feel unwelcome in British football or are they just more interested in cricket?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri May 05, 2006 1:39 pm

Forgot to say that I think the new rules are unworkable. What is to stop us putting on a Manu jersey going to Old Trafford and making racist taunts at players. Manu would get deducted points.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 05, 2006 3:57 pm

Big Niall wrote:Forgot to say that I think the new rules are unworkable. What is to stop us putting on a Manu jersey going to Old Trafford and making racist taunts at players. Manu would get deducted points.

the surrounding fans would instantly recognise u as someone else, would never work. it worked in dream team but that was just rubbish.

the point about asians in football believe it or not has a lot to do with the parents stricter upbringing in a more scholastic nature. well thats how it was in the past, not sure why not now in all honesty but i think its more a culture thing
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanks72 » Sun May 07, 2006 11:01 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
Big Niall wrote:But they were unsure what to do about Rangers fans???

I think they are finding the scottish approach difficult mainly because of the history of the two clubs and the level of religious bad feeling toward each other.

There is no excuse for sectarian violence and sectarianism in general, and the irony is the call themselves Christian!

I have to agree with this
Image Image

REST IN PEACE DRUMMERPHIL, YNWA

underneath are the everlasting arms
deuteronomy 33:27
shanks72
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed May 10, 2006 3:57 am

dawson99 wrote:
Big Niall wrote:Forgot to say that I think the new rules are unworkable. What is to stop us putting on a Manu jersey going to Old Trafford and making racist taunts at players. Manu would get deducted points.

the surrounding fans would instantly recognise u as someone else, would never work. it worked in dream team but that was just rubbish.

the point about asians in football believe it or not has a lot to do with the parents stricter upbringing in a more scholastic nature. well thats how it was in the past, not sure why not now in all honesty but i think its more a culture thing

More or less what I was going to say.

They don't play football because they don't WANT to, not because anyone is stopping them. (Well, maybe it's their parents who don't want them to, but you know what I mean.)

That is not to say that none want to play. They should be welcomed aswell.

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed May 10, 2006 8:10 am

the whole world has gone mad

i mean if you fart, then someone can sue you for assault. If you say i dont like him, its coz he's gay, or black, or white, or red, or yellow. Jees, no one can have an opinion without someone shouting racism, religious hatred, homophobe.

its seems to be illegal to do anything, apart from breath.

I have lived in foreign countries, and have many coloured friends, and i find that enriches my life. I am no racist. BUt i will say if i dont like someone, and it wont be because they are not the same religion or colour as me.

Those who shout out racism easily, are only after money, trouble, or to get someone put away.

If you live in someone else country, you should respect their law 100%, and respect your neighbour (no one says you have to love them). We are soft in this country, and the majority suffer. Democracy is failing the people of this country, which include all foreign nationals who live here, and are constructive in their view of values held by this nation. I welcome them, but do not tolerate whingers and radicals who want to disrupt due process and law in this country - those folk can fuck off.

Protect our nation, the people that live here, protect the innocent, uphold the law of the land.

In Britain we welcome all faiths, and our multiculturalism is refreshing at times.

But we do need to take account of the long term actions for our childrens sake and get a grip of the real issues.

rant over
Last edited by Judge on Wed May 10, 2006 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu May 11, 2006 3:46 am

Judge wrote:the whole world has gone mad

i mean if you fart, then someone can sue you for assault. If you say i dont like him, its coz he's gay, or black, or white, or red, or yellow. Jees, no one can have an opinion without someone shouting racism, religious hatred, homophobe.

its seems to be illegal to do anything, apart from breath.

I have lived in foreign countries, and have many coloured friends, and i find that enriches my life. I am no racist. BUt i will say if i dont like someone, and it wont be because they are not the same religion or colour as me.

Those who shout out racism easily, are only after money, trouble, or to get someone put away.

If you live in someone else country, you should respect their law 100%, and respect your neighbour (no one says you have to love them). We are soft in this country, and the majority suffer. Democracy is failing the people of this country, which include all foreign nationals who live here, and are constructive in their view of values held by this nation. I welcome them, but do not tolerate whingers and radicals who want to disrupt due process and law in this country - those folk can fuck off.

Protect our nation, the people that live here, protect the innocent, uphold the law of the land.

In Britain we welcome all faiths, and our multiculturalism is refreshing at times.

But we do need to take account of the long term actions for our childrens sake and get a grip of the real issues.

rant over

Just about spot-on that, Alan.  :nod

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Mon May 15, 2006 12:45 am

That would be a good idea. Especially if we could to it to Chelsea as well.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion