Uefa proposals - Platini speaks...

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:32 pm

No repeat of Athens fiasco says UEFA boss

Echo today.

MICHEL PLATINI has promised Liverpool fans they will never suffer a repeat of the nightmare they endured in Athens.

The new UEFA chief has unveiled a radical overhaul of the Champions League which he hopes to push through.

His changes include:

* The final to be staged on a Saturday night from 2009.

* Only the biggest, most modern stadia to be used for finals from 2010.

* 75 per cent of tickets going to ‘real’ fans.

* The FA Cup winners to qualify for the Champions League from next season.

Premier League chairman Dave Richards is bitterly opposed to the FA Cup proposal and walked out of yesterday’s conference.

The Olympic Stadium in Athens had a capacity of just 63,000 and Liverpool were handed an official allocation of only 17,000 for the game with AC Milan.

But Platini said: “I would like to see 75 per cent of the stadium being reserved for fans. I also want the final to be in a big modern stadium with a capacity of 75,000.

“After what happened in Athens I would also like to see the final played on a Saturday night. I was very disappointed that there were no children there and if the game was played at a weekend they would be able to get there without worrying about school.”

Platini unveiled the plans to UEFA’s Professional Football Strategy Council in Monaco, provoking anger and indignation from Richards.

While Platini agreed to let the leagues and clubs come back with a response, he pledged to railroad the new measures through in November.

Platini added: “I want to see Cup winners rewarded. This will add to the interest in and enhance the domestic cups. I feel that is more worthy of a place than finishing fourth in the Premier League.”

Under Platini’s proposals, England, Spain and Italy will have three teams qualify automatically for the Champions League group stage via their domestic league. The champions of Europe’s leading 12 countries would be guaranteed a place in the group phase.

The top 16 countries, including England and Scotland, would have domestic cup winners entering a qualifying competition with four group stage places up for grabs.

Platini also wants the UEFA Cup changed to a similar format as the Champions League, with the Intertoto Cup scrapped.

He went on: “We need to ensure football is more balanced so that the rich do not become much richer.

“If another proposal is better than my philosophy that’s fine but I doubt they’ll come up with something better.

Some useful considerations there from a man who's arrogance preceeds all known logic. Maybe these are starting to come round to the idea after all, that common sense is a far better substitute in situations that could have turned very nasty indeed - like Athens.  Rather than the pompous, detestable hubris displayed at most other times by the pariahs who preside within this shambles antiquated, poorly run organisation. Credit where its due i suppose...(still a c*nt like).

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:41 pm

The guy cannot bear the thought of English teams dominating Europe, simple as.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:19 pm

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion