Pirlo worst moment at ac milan losing to liverpool

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Tue May 24, 2011 2:21 am

Andrea Pirlo: My worst moment at AC Milan was losing to Liverpool in 2005 Champions League final

Veteran Italian reflects on his illustrious career with the European giants and expresses his sadness at leaving his friends and team-mates

May 23, 2011 10:00:00 PM

Departing midfielder Andrea Pirlo has defined losing the 2004-05 Champions League final to Liverpool in Istanbul as “the worst moment” in his AC Milan career.

The 32-year-old played his last game as a Milan player on Sunday evening in a goalless draw with Udinese in Serie A. It was his 400th official appearance for the Italian champions and was presented with a celebratory medal by the club’s CEO Adriano Galliani.

Reflecting on his 10-year career at Milan, Pirlo expressed his disbelief at losing to Liverpool six years ago in the final of Europe’s most prestigious club competition. Then coached by Carlo Ancelotti, the European giants were 3-0 up against the English club at one stage, but conceded three times in the second-half and eventually lost the game 3-2 on penalties.

“I have two wonderful memories: the first time I put on the Milan shirt and the first time we won the Champions League [against Juventus in 2003],” Pirlo is quoted as saying by Milan’s official website.

“The worst moment was losing in Istanbul. I still don’t understand how we let that game out of our hands.”

The Italy international, who won the Champions League with Milan again in 2007 defeating Liverpool in the final, further looked back at his time with the club and enthused: “400 games are a lot, especially if you play for a team as important as Milan.

"I was moved when I said goodbye at Milanello during the week: it’s tough to leave your teammates and friends, with whom you shared a lot of memorable moments, but this is part of football.

“Life goes on. I leave [Alessandro] Nesta, a great friend, but we’ll continue seeing each other. It’s not easy to say goodbye to your teammates, to the club employees, to everyone with whom I spent together these 10 years.”

Pirlo has been heavily linked with Juventus and will reportedly sign a three-year deal with the Turin club.
++

Sorry to be your party pooper mate !!   :rasp
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue May 24, 2011 8:21 am

:D

Legend for Milan and one of the most talented players Italy has ever had
Last edited by metalhead on Tue May 24, 2011 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Tue May 24, 2011 11:27 am

Its amazing in Italy how players go from one big Italian club to another.  Just doesn't happen in England.

Seedorf moved from Inter to AC.  Pirlo moved from Inter - AC and now possibly Juve.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Tue May 24, 2011 12:36 pm

Chelsea bound for ridiculous wages?

seems to be their habit anyway
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby tubby » Tue May 24, 2011 10:06 pm

Confirmed he has moved to Juve?

Seriously now, is there no fking loyalty in Italy? It seems the big players happily move around to all the big clubs no quibbles. Pirlo started at Inter didn't he? Seedorf played there too. And what about Ronaldo, played for both too. It's all 1 big merry go round there.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 24, 2011 11:16 pm

tubby wrote:Confirmed he has moved to Juve?

Seriously now, is there no fking loyalty in Italy? It seems the big players happily move around to all the big clubs no quibbles. Pirlo started at Inter didn't he? Seedorf played there too. And what about Ronaldo, played for both too. It's all 1 big merry go round there.

Not to mention Ibrahimovich, who's played for all three now...
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Alex88 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:51 am

tubby wrote:Seriously now, is there no fking loyalty in Italy?

:no

I'm italian, and I assure you that the Italian league is only "money-oriented".

no loyalty, no love for the club.
Alex88

Postby dawson99 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:56 pm

Is there any loyalty anywhere in football? nah
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:24 pm

It might have been Pirlo's worst moment at AC Milan but that night was my best moment for Pirlo at AC Milan :D (six years on today - what a night!)
JamCar05

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion